HybridZ

Auto darkening helmets and TIG

dr_hunt

Been practicing with the tig, really, really like that unit. Been welding my stainless downpipes and v-bands, coming out perfect.

Welding along and my helmet quit darkening, kind of switches back and forth, really hard on the eyes, changed batteries, no avail. What I have now is a snap on with 2 sensors that came with my welder.

What should I buy?

With all due respect here...I had the same helmet. Junk! Dont buy it.

You will go blind lol:) I suppose replacement eyes are cheap..

You can spend more, but I guarantee this one will do the job

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46092

I wouldn't suggest it if I had not been using one for the last 3 years.

I had a Hobart autodarking helmet with all the adjustments and what not. It quite working after about a month. It would be dark in some spots and light in the others. Same exact thing happened to a friend of mine on his.

My buddy has a nice miller helmet which Ive used a couple times and really liked. He hasnt had any issues. Nice large viewing area and lots of adjustments. Ill prolly be picking one up soon.

With all due respect here...I had the same helmet. Junk! Dont buy it.

You will go blind lol:) I suppose replacement eyes are cheap..

I'll bet there are a dozen guys on this site who use one of these HF helmets. Some of whom I talked into buying one. Some of the guys who were most critical of the helmet ended up trading in their Hobarts for the cheaper HF unit and are happy now.

Most of the critics are people who have never tried it. You are the first guy who has one who didn't like it.

If you can tell me why this helmet will make me go blind where a more expensive one won't then I am all ears. This thing has worked flawlessly for well over 5 years now.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/

Im pretty sure its the elite. Anyway as far as helmets go I would definitly not cut yourself short, a nice helmet thats comfortable and has a large viewing area will defiinitly help you be more comfortable and less stressed while welding. And we all know how important our eyes are.

good to see youve been liking your TIG! I just got one as well and have been practicing a good bit.. all i can say is tig is awesome :) it sure takes forever to weld anything but its so much cleaner nad more precise then migin'

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/

Im pretty sure its the elite. Anyway as far as helmets go I would definitly not cut yourself short, a nice helmet thats comfortable and has a large viewing area will defiinitly help you be more comfortable and less stressed while welding. And we all know how important our eyes are.

good to see youve been liking your TIG! I just got one as well and have been practicing a good bit.. all i can say is tig is awesome :) it sure takes forever to weld anything but its so much cleaner nad more precise then migin'

That's the one I've been looking at, about $240. I've considered the HF ones but one or two sensors somehow always gives me a flash somehow cause the sensor is blocked by my arm or something else. That's the reason I want a 4 sensor helmet.

Mig might be alittle quicker, but once you get your heat right and master it, you'll zip along pretty quick.

Although they are expensive, I've very happy with my Speedglas 9000 helmet and the Speedglas 9002X lens. I can weld stainless down to 20 amps and the lens stays steady, no flicker. Also, the side windows have reduced the amount of times I bang my head on things and the rear exhaust vents help with welding fumes.

Alright, don't know why I have such a hard time letting go of these things. Guess I don't like seeing misinformation in the threads or people making things up.

Specs on the HF helmet

Specifications

Welding Protection Types For All Arc Welding Processes;

NOT for Laser Welding or Oxyacetylene Welding/Cutting

Shell Material High Impact Resistant Plastic Polyamide Nylon

Shell Colors Black

Shade Range 9 to 13; Clear State: #-3/4

Infrared Protection 780-1400 nm

Ultraviolet Protection up to shade 14 all the time

Viewing Area 6.29 Square Inch

Lens Switching Speed 1/25,000 second

Power Source Solar Cells

(rechargeable battery included, no additional battery required)

Weight 1.05 Lbs.

Power ON / OFF Fully Automatic

Operating Temperature 23 to 131° F

Storing Temperature -13 to 167° F

ANSI Approved Lens

Specs on the miller elite

Lens Speed 1/20,000 sec

Shade Control 9-13 Internal Adjustment

Sensitivity Control Internal Adjustment

Delay Control .10-1.0 sec

Viewing Field 97 x 60 mm (3.85 x 2.38 in)

Number of Arc Sensors 4

Lens Power Control Manual-on, auto-off

Low Amp TIG Rated 5 amps

Inverter Capable Yes

Battery Life 3,000 hours (2)

Magnifying Lens Holder Yes

Weight 18oz (510g)

Light State #4, provides continuous UV and IR protection

So the HF unit has a faster switching time, lifetime batteries, is a few ounces lighter and has been proven to never fail to properly darken in years of use. Does have a smaller viewing area and doesn't have the built in magnifiying lens holder. An important feature for us old guys with trifocals.

And only, what, 5 times the price?

I could say the longer switching speeds of the Miller helmet will make you go blind. But I guess I would be making that up.

If your eyes feel tired after welding for a short time. either your lens isn`t dark enough, or it`s not switching fast enough.

I need to invest in a better auto-dark helmet for tig. My cheap swap meet helmet is fine for mig at lower amps, but i don`t think it`s dark enough when I tig.

Ive got 3 auto darkening helmets now,they all operate in a similar fashsion the HF gets used most simply because if it gets scarded up or damaged with welding splater from welding under the car Im out about $50 so I look at it as a consumable/disposable item and save the better helmets for conditions ,less likely to damage the helmet, I gotta tell you the differance in quality is just not that great from what I see.