HybridZ

Finaly painted

Dragonfly

I finaly got the body work done and the car painted. I did most of the body work myself and I painted the interior (not shown yet), but I paid to have the remainder of the body work done and the exterior painted. The sun was not at a very good angle for taking pictures but here they are any way.

P10100014.JPG

If you are wondering if there are small holes in the hood??? Yes there are, the hood is pinned into place because it is carbon fiber (made by John Coffee).

P10100026.JPG

Rear hatch is also carbon fiber and also from John Coffee.

P10100063.JPG

You can see in the picture that the underside of the car is painted different. I used a single stage epoxy of the same type and color as used on NASCAR cars for both durability and ease in finding anything wrong/leaking.

P10100075.JPG

Doors and fenders are just set in place and not lined up yet.

P10100112.JPG

Light gray paint on underside of car.

Dragonfly

The flares are glass and I purchased them from one of our Hybridz members, if I am not getting my members confused Rick Bowers used to have the same type of flares on his car. The vents did in fact come from a 1980 Camaro. The car is going to be a weekend racer in autocross and drag racing, it will also see some road courses when I am able to get out there.

The reason I painted the carbon fiber hood and hatch is because I did not get them for looks I got them for weight reduction and after what they cost (which is a good price for carbon fiber parts) I did not want someone trying to steal them. I can honestly say that other than John Coffee who I bought the parts from I have never seen another Z with a carbon fiber rear hatch so I felt it was a good idea not to make it obvious to strangers. The paint color is a stock GMC color used on the 1991 Corvette.

Thanks for the compliments.

Dragonfly

True, no ones gonna steal your carbon hatch if they dont know its carbon.

But then again its not the Nissan community that steals from each other, It's those dahm Honda guys! well at least in CA it is...

I live in San Diego which is very close to Tijuana Mexico and makes anything that even looks like it may be of value a target for theft. I have no problem bragging to Nissan guys about the carbon fiber parts I am just leary of people I don't know walking by and seeing dollar signs pinned to the front and back of my car.

Dragonfly

Your work looks really complete and well done. It's going to be a serious car once it's completed. The underside color is a great idea and it's from NASCAR of all places :mrgreen: I like the idea of that---makes complete sense. Thanks for posting the great pics--keep 'em coming!

Davy

True, no ones gonna steal your carbon hatch if they dont know its carbon.

But then again its not the Nissan community that steals from each other, It's those dahm Honda guys! well at least in CA it is...

So if you live in CA and drive a Honda, you're a thief??? Thank god I live in NC.........

chris

So if you live in CA and drive a Honda, you're a thief??? Thank god I live in NC.........

chris

Well yeah, what else is there to do after you lose all of your dignity by driving a honda (and thinking it's cool)?

Sources:

(Ex honda owner... 92 Civic coupe LS motor swap: Quick... But Not Cool)