HybridZ

What happened to the 300Z?

Well, as I'm sure you know, the number is based on engine size (2.4 through 3.0 liter).

As for the Z versus the ZX, the major redesign of the Z car in 1979 was aimed at putting previous "Z" owners into a car that was more fitting with thier status as "Z car drivers that are 5 to 10 years older".

This is similar to the fact that a 1977 Honda Civic bears little semblance to a 2007 Civic.

Anyway, when the car was built, it had the same engine and basic drivetrain, but the interior was plusher, there were more "gizmos" inside, and the dimensions had been expanded in all directions.

To reflect the difference, the car was called a "ZX" instead of a "Z", and the 280Z and 280ZX share very few components outside the compatible driveline items.

In 1983, Nissan switched to the VG30 V-6 engine in a number of vehicles, including the Maxima. They decided to keep the luxury items and gizmos of the 280ZX (and add a few more, as well!) and so the 300ZX was born--without being a 300Z first.

In my not so humble opinion, the 350Z is really more of a 350ZX...there are a lot of things in it that aren't in the minimalist spirit of the 240Z.

Also in my not so humble opinion...minimalism is not always the best course for everyone. I'm rather fond of my 300ZX and some of the luxury. I'd rather take a date out in that than a street-class, race prepped 240. :wink:

Of course, I'd need a date for that....but that's a whole different topic! :lol:

Ben

They all have that non-race aerodynamic nose. But once you get an air damn it changes everything. I have wondered what the X with the Z was all about myself. I like the ZX, but the old Z's minimalist design is one thing I really like about it. I think that genre of cars is still wanted today.

you can think of the X as meaning luxury. I wish they had different OPTIONS packages. like offering a 350Z and a 350ZX. that wold make sense.

to make a coutnerpoint ot the point I just made, for the first 2 years, you could get a 280ZX as a stripper. no power options, manual steering, no AC, nothing. Me thinks it would actually out-perform a 280Z. the ZX was actually a little bit lighter (with similar options) than the outgoing 280Z. and it was QUITE a bit stiffer and more structurally sound.

I doubt it. Currently the 350Z is broken up into:

350Z - Base Model

Enthusiast - Upgraded rear, TCS and comfort options

Touring - Lots of creature comforts and options

Track - Better braking, aero dynamics and handling

Grand Touring - Combo of Touring and Track

Given the sub-type breakdown Nissan already has I doubt they'll have a 350ZX.

I've seen very few early z cars around here in eastern NC. When I do see one I give a honk and a wave and they usually look at me like I'm insane. So the ones that do have them here are driving them because they're cheap and reliable for the most part. I've only seen one person with a nice restored Fairlady Z. And that car rarely makes it out of the garage.

• 1 month later...

Ya I saw some kid today, a little younger than myself at a stoplight and he was driving a 280zx as well. I could tell he was in to Zs because he was looking the whole time he was making his turn. I was going to give hime a wave but the cr-v in front of me took about 20 sec to move after the light changed.:mrgreen:

anybody have any weight info on a stripped(from factory)ZX to say a later model Z.. hmmm like a 78 z vs a 79zx?? i know my 79 is a LOT quiter than my 77 z and it does a more sedate suspension.. i reaize that the early z was better handling but ive never upgraded my suspension in my ZX. it seems its more secure and less quirky because its a heavier car.. but now im a little curious but it has a much better ride... quality wise then my z. im not talking about roughness per se but the whole in general seems better. car is tighter and not as jittery. and its a lot roomier. so i always figured it was a much heavier car.

I think I read in road and track that the 350Z was getting a new version of the VQ engine that had a displacement of 3.8 liters along with its new body styling... wouldn't that then be a 380Z?! or are they gonna call it the 350ZX? What the hell? Maybe im retarded and I read it wrong, someone back me up with this one.

Matt :burnout:

The 350z is NOT a true Z.

Before you flame me hear me out. All the qualities that made the Z so popular are like a fire triangle. The Z frenzy was ignited because all of the components to support it's combustion were there.

(Performance, Price, Reliability) Take any away and it's just not a true Z.

Again, The 350z is not a true Z.

The average person can't afford a new Z. Yes, they sell a "base" model, but what's "base" about it? It still has power everything and all the other options that people think they NEED today, especially in california. (where you really don't need ANY OPTION other than A/C, and even then....we are so spoiled today :)

"350zx" is definitley a more fitting name for that thing they sell today.

The only reason nissan called it a "Z" was because they wanted to link it with the original (since nothing else about it is even close)

Let's see...there are SOME similarities, but it's still not a true Z car.

The original was light, lithe, and comfortable for two.

The new one is big, heavy, not so agile, but still comfy for two

The original was inexpensive, though they were marked up due to demand

The new one is expensive, and can't be marked up because otherwise it would be in infiniti territory.

The original is still popular nearly 40 years after introduction.

The new one is a fad and will be forgotten when the Z34 comes out.

In other words, the original has all the attributes of a true Z car.

Inexpensive, sexy, reliable, powerful, and classic.

The new "Z" is fast and sexy..until next year....

The new Z is trendy and will be forgotten....

The original was a trendsetter and will NEVER be forgotten.

datsun280zx81 said "I heard that there was going to be a suped up 350z with 450-500hp called a 450z."

IMHO the only factory Z car I would ever condone being called "450z" would have a VH45 in it, only come with a stick, and no stinking options, and would retail for about the same as a base 350z. I'm not dissing the later ZX's but the reason they were called ZX's was because nissan knew that they were going away from the original formula. I guess that's why the new 350z had only z. (Nissan reduced the gadget count compared to the Z32, which killed itself due to the insane japanese gadget race of the 90's)

But it's still not a true Z car.