HybridZ

Diesel Crank LD28 Guys - Is It worth it?

slownrusty

Guys - I have pulled my block out ready for a full all out build. I have the opportunity to purchase a diesel crank, to bump my displ. to the 3.0L or 3.1L region, is it worth the cost and effort or should I just stay with my 2.8L (L28ET), looking for first hand experience please!

Thanks - Yasin

No first hand experience, but I would suggest you compare the cost of doing the stroker to the amount of boost increase that you might get if you put that same money into a bigger intercooler, turbo, of aftermarket FI. Unless you're already pushing 25-30 lbs of boost, I'd reckon that you'll get more hp to the wheels by upgrading outside the motor...

EDIT--I guess at some point you'll need forged pistons, well before you need the crank. The pistons are going to be necessary for sure for higher boost levels. At that point you need to weigh the cost of the crank and rods and KA pistons to the just plain old forged pistons and see what the difference is. If you're already resizing rods and all that and you have to do ALL of the machine work, it might not be too much more $$$ to add in the stroker crank. If you found a crank and rods for $300 it would probably be worth it. If you were talking about buying a stroker kit for $2000, then I still think that $2000 would make more power outside the engine.

The money for the crank is secondary IMHO. You will have machine costs to bore the block, balance, etc. You are going to have much thinner cylinder walls on the block when done producing much more heat and losing much of the strength and durabiltiy of the block. Not a big deal for the street, but a much bigger deal if you want to go to the track and beat on it. When I had my L28ET I opted to not go with the LD crank because I was doing track events and the structural integrity limitation of the block was so easy to reach through cheaper mods. So it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you do opt to increase displacement with the LD crank I highly recommend you match your pistons within 1/4 gram or better. Good luck.

The money for the crank is secondary IMHO. You will have machine costs to bore the block, balance, etc. You are going to have much thinner cylinder walls on the block when done producing much more heat and losing much of the strength and durabiltiy of the block.

You don't have to bore the block to add a stroker crank, FWIW. The crank by itself will still get you close to 3.0 litres (2.95, as I recall).

For the most part I agree with the others as far as spending your money elsewhere. However, it does heavily depend on what other things you are planning to do anyway.

If, for instance, you were going to get forged pistons and L24 rods anyway, then it's a whole different story. Now you are just talking about the cost of the crank and a bit of extra work clearancing the block for the longer stroke. Not nearly as big a deal.

EDIT - Oops I saw that Jon already added in pretty much the same info - sorry for the redundancy.

Guys - Thanks for your feedback...Here is the thing, I am going to have JE make me a forged piston (8.3:1 compression) anyway and I can get the 240Z rods and LD crank.

Really I can go either way, I hear what you guys are saying though.

I know Jeff Priddy and Garrett are both running Diesel cranks without some impressive results and was using this as my basis, as I am going to have the entire block rebuilt anyway.

Yasin

Guest 280ZForce

GO STROKER BABY! I haven't gotten any dyno results yet, but the stroker should yield better power band of torque for sure compared to stock crank. Also, just sayin you got a stroker is a cool enough factor, not too many turbo strokers out there... should rack in some women for the "post your wife/gf thread" :wink:

It depends on what you want, for the money an L28 with a set of forged pistons would be a more cost effective way to go.I just like the way my current 3 liter comes up on the revs, the big turbo doesn`t hurt either.It sounds so cool.The current bore on my 3 liter is 87.5mm as I have run significant amounts of boost/N20 in the past with no problems.

GO STROKER BABY! I haven't gotten any dyno results yet, but the stroker should yield better power band of torque for sure compared to stock crank. Also, just sayin you got a stroker is a cool enough factor, not too many turbo strokers out there... should rack in some women for the "post your wife/gf thread" :wink:

Thanks J...LOL...!...cool factor...power and reeling in the laydees? How can I say no!

Yasin

It depends on what you want, for the money an L28 with a set of forged pistons would be a more cost effective way to go.I just like the way my current 3 liter comes up on the revs, the big turbo doesn`t hurt either.It sounds so cool.The current bore on my 3 liter is 87.5mm as I have run significant amounts of boost/N20 in the past with no problems.

Great info Brian - thanks.

Yasin

Guest 280ZForce

there is a couple for sale in the hybrid classifieds... $325 and $350. you should be able to get one for around $300 if you ask them.

They are a lil pricey.