HybridZ

cross threaded spark plug

I'm sorry that happened to you. I would take it to a machine shop for repair. Also... always make sure the heads are completely cool before changing plugs. Aluminum is just too soft when it's hot.

I have the same heads. The only helio coils are for the exhaust bolts. It would be better had they put helio coils everywhere, IMO. I'm just REALLY CAREFUL and use a smidge of anti-seize lube on every bolt.

While I agree with Alex that removing the head is the safe way to do it, I wonder whether it could be done (verrry carefully) with the head installed... I see two approaches: have both valves closed, or the exhaust valve open with a vacuum hose sucking on the exhaust port. With the piston at TDC, pack the tap's flutes with wheel bearing grease in an attempt to trap the shavings. Make sure the drill and tap don't touch the top of the piston (might want the piston to be slightly below TDC). Flush the chamber out with a stream of solvent, then a blast of air, several times perhaps, after the drilling and tapping, and especially make sure that the tang of the helicoil comes out before turning over the engine, but after all that, it seems to me the only debris left would be small particles of aluminum which ought not be able to do much damage before they're either burned up or evacuated with the exhaust.

(Note I would never consider suggesting this for a cast iron head.)

Would anyone else be willing to take the risk?

Let me repeat I've not tried this myself, and am NOT recommending it, but just throwing it out for discussion.

Best -- Gary

Head on repair... it's tempting, I know. But I speak from experience when I say I have a bad feeling about trying to cut corners with something like this. In fact, if I was in the same situation, I'd ask for advice about pulling both heads and have every hole helicoiled. It seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

EDIT: Why don't you PM Grumpyvette and post what he recommends?

I cross threaded #1 plug on my L28E ...I used a vacum and a tap it worked good just go slow and be careful :wink:..if you are worried that you got alittle shavings in there well no worries vacum real good leave that plug out and crank her over a few times anything that got in there will blow right back out :icon52:

it worked on the L28E ..it should work on a small block v8 but use :icon4::wink:

If you decide to use a heli-coil to repair the plug threads, the spark plug for that one cylinder will put out a different spark (either more cold or hot...not too sure) than the rest of the plugs, due to its surroundings. Therefore, it's recommended that if you heli-coil one cylinder, you should heli-coil the rest of the cylinders, and adjust plug range accordingly.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

This happened to me on my go kart, and i fixed it simply by cleaning it up with a tap, (like AE2zx) since then it has not given me any problems, (btw i took the head off). Before inserting the heli coils, try just using the tap, it will save you alot of time and effort.

Good luck