HybridZ

Help designing rear skirting for my Z

ZR8ED

I'm looking for some ideas to redesign the rear of my Z. I don't care for the look of my rear belly pan any more, and I want to smooth out the look of the rear of the car a bit more. Even though the car sits pretty low, it does not look low from the back. I feel it looks more like a 4X4. You can see too much under the car.I found some older pics that don't have my rear belly pan installed.

springzcarpics005.jpg

See how it looks like the body does not come down low enough?

spring_2003_004.jpg

Could someone help me with designing a rear lower skirt, that blends into the flares. I don't mind lowering the back side of the flare as well, so the whole thing looks lower to the ground. ie does not show as much of the gas tank, and tires. Nothing drastic. 2" give or take a bit..maybe a bit more.

I have found a custom fibreglass shop only 2min from my house, and he builds Lambo kit cars etc for people, and he liked my Z and agreed to help me with my project.

I just need some ideas to make it look like it belongs.

The flares and rear valence of the car is mostly fibreglass, with part of the valence being already repaired with fg long ago.

It doesn't need to be removeable, but I do need to be able to drop my exhaust.

It can be "bolt on", but will likely end up being blended with no seams.

Pics, photoshop ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think it looks great the way that it is, but it's your car so you you need to make it look the way you want it to.

You have a pretty blended in smooth look going already so maybe it could use an MSA type 3 skirt design for the top and then just keep it straight on the bottom (instead of kicking out).

I always liked this body kit for the VW Corrado. It's from an european company named Rieger.

It's not a Z but the idea to me is good.

Corrado%20GTO%202.jpg

See the air vents in the fenders, just like yours, my idea here would be to keep what you have and just extend your fender flares down a bit and just build a "wrap" around that would hide the tank and muffler. Hope it helps, keep it up, you have a wonderfull looking car.

What about trying to "extend" everything thats already there? I think the shape of the bottom is great, but I do see how you think its too high. It would be cool if it were about 4-5" longer all the way around from the rear of the fender flares and the middle of the back. Could have a hole cutout for the exhaust or just a big cut out. If its too plain, add some small meshed slots like the back of your fenders that are horizontal..

What about trying to "extend" everything thats already there? I think the shape of the bottom is great, but I do see how you think its too high. It would be cool if it were about 4-5" longer all the way around from the rear of the fender flares and the middle of the back. Could have a hole cutout for the exhaust or just a big cut out. If its too plain, add some small meshed slots like the back of your fenders that are horizontal..

Sound familliar, did you read my post, 2 before yours?

ya i agree with what theyre saying. either that or do the rally style with the rear diffusers. kinda like darisus project. or something totally different that if done right would help the car and make it look mean as hell is the spoiler that comes out from underneath the car. if u dont know what im talkin about think gran turismo 2 suzuki escudo or whatever it is.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is what it looks like with the bellypan/diffuser. It has changed a bit since this pic was taken. ie the 2.5" exhaust is now replaced with a 3"ss. it sits about the same.

Any ideas on how to keep the shape? The flares are easy to extend. I can just take the shape and curve and continue it down as far as I need. I'm just wondering how I'd blend it into the rear. As you can see in the above pics, it is following basically the stock shape, and it is slowly curving under the car. If I extend it the same way, it will curve further under the car.

Thanks for the ideas. A rear diffuser will still be a part of this.

reardiffuser1.jpg

I don't think that closing down the back of the car is the best thing to do from an aerodynamics perspective. Just wanted to point that out because many of your other mods were done with aero as a priority as I recall.

Hun! Good point there.

Maybe if he puts vents with fine mech, flat black on the tank and the mesh inserts to make it blend in?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas.

The Z has been sent to bodywork jail.

I had some more discussions with the owner/operator of the shop, and have come to an understanding of what is to happen. I gave him some styling freedom as well.

I had been looking at other mfg'd cars and took some styling cues from some newer porsches, mustangs, and a few other domestics.

It will be reworked with a rear belly pan, but that won't likely happen till later in the winter, as I will do it myself, now that I have some aluminum fab experience

It is currently wedged in amongst 3 Lamborghinis ok ok so they are kits, but even a kit lambo is expensive looking! hehehe. None of them have anything under their hoods that can touch me! hehehe

I'll post some pics next week when I check the progress.

Thanks

It looks like Eric's got some skills...no wonder he works at designing car models at Jada. I always thought that a Z looks a little unfinished without side skirts. I will get side skirts at some point, but I'd really like to get something like what Eric drew. How about making a limited run for some of us HybridZers?