HybridZ

show your shop/garage thread (origanization tips to!)

hoov100

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's mine, as for org tips. Use the volume and not just the area. The rear wall shelving I got from two stainless steel laundry racks I picked up for $50. The white containers are cheese packaging from a large kitchen. Compartmentalize as much as you can and choose a specific storage spot. ! Keep in mind how often use use something when picking it's place on the shelf/storage, and lastly...plan it safely, got a fire extinguisher?

right_wall_garage.jpg

back_wall_garage.jpg

left_wall_garage.jpg

No pics of mine at the moment, but heres a mental image.. Imagine a small closet, one of those standard 'keep your close and nothing else' type deals. Now throw in a Z shell, then a bunch of tools, then everything that used to be on the Z before it was stripped. Then a 210 pd dog, his bed, his chair, his TV, his dishs, then throw in a 140pd female, her dishs. Now some boxes with christmas decorations. Some dirt, and me! Germs cant fit in my garage right now =/

heres more pictures of my garage project if you missed them on the other thread

garage1.jpg

garage2.jpg

garage3.jpg

garage4.jpg

garage5.jpg

garage6.jpg

garage7.jpg

garage8.jpg

garage9.jpg

garage10.jpg

well finally got the stucco

garage11.jpg

the lift

garage12.jpg

the bathroom installed in my new garage so Im advancing slowly

I got most of the ELECTRIC in now, Ill post more pictures as the work progresses

garge15.jpg

got paint now!, IM still waiting on the shelving to arrive

We start on the 24X40 extension onto mine (Which you can see in my "new home folder and the mikes painted zcar folder at http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z) in the spring. Goal is to have it 60 ft. wide with a 32ft. section that is 26ft. deep (The existing) and the new depth for the addition will be 40ft. The goal is to be able to park my car trailer inside of it (24ft. long and 8.5 ft. wide) when I'm not in town. Don't want what happened to jt1 to happen to me...

While I'm awaiting the day when construction starts, I've already had the power panel installed and the meter base mounted for the new 200amp service. I've also upgraded the existing lights, and had some other wiring added for many more outlets and a box for wiring the compressor up in the existing 26X32 section.

Mike

garage_009.sized.jpg

garage_008.sized.jpg

garage_005.sized.jpg

garage_003.sized.jpg

This is my garage, its a detached 3 car unit. 2 bays are used for parking/working on cars and the third for fabrication. If your building/organizing a garage just remember anything sitting out uncovered will collect dust, and if you start piling stuff on hte floor or in the corners it will never move. Shelving and plastic boxs like ive done are pretty cheap for storing lots of stuff.

We put steel bars over the windows, I keep the powertools/airtools locked up and we have motion detectors inside. For fire protection a heat sensor was put in this way it could be active at all times and anykind of fumes wouldnt set it off.

Also for anyone building a garage, a sink is a must, one thing I wouldnt mind having.

I reorganized mine last year. It was way overdue!

Hey Tim I see you still have exposed rafters. I moved into a house a little over a week ago and the garage has exposed rafters. I just started working on the garage yesterday and was debating on whether to drop in a ceiling or not. Any regrets on no ceiling?

Jeff, My w/shop has expossed rafters as well. Being on a farm it can get left open all day while I am working on something and birds will get in and nest on the rafters and crap all over the place. This does tend to piss you off after you have done the final sand on your zed, other wise it a good place to store things you dont usually use.

Douglas

You guys made me think while I was in the garage working on my Z for the first time in 6 months. So I went and took pics of the existing 26X32 shop space...

Check http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and check Mikes existing garage folder to see the mess... The shelves that are along the back wall were there when I bought the place and I haven't torn them down yet, even though they sag more than a set of 80 year old breasts... :lmao:

Mike

At my (parents) house we have a 2 car garage and it used to be so full of junk you could not park one car in there. After I bought my Z I wanted to put it in the garage so I cleaned out a bunch of junk and moved in... Now 2 sportscars, 1 engine hoist, engine stand w/L6, tool chest, shelving, and some antiques... In a small 2 car garage. I have to move my Z out to work on anyhting but it is pretty light weight since it is mostly stripped out.

The Porsche 944T sits on the other half and it is not running (Air fuel ratio sensor broke, Now have to pull intake, fuel rail, etc to get to it.). Wayy too complex of a car... And it is too heavy to just push around