HybridZ

Need advice on Really Nice Digital Camera..

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Just about 4 months away from our first child and all the digital camera's I have suck. I have a nice Sony DV camcorder and it does a great job with video but was not built for photos. So if you have a recomendation for a nice 6+ megapixel camera SLR or not Please give me your thoughts Pro or Con.

On a side note do you have a dedicated digital photo printer? What are the results? Do you find you use it?

Well we find out whether I better get my arm in shape to mold myself a scholarship monster (baby boy) or if I am going to go broke giving into every want of a little girl with big sad eyes. Oh and move my safe to the entryway and have some high tech clear polycarbonate front door added to the safe (as a form of birth control for the boys when she becomes of age)..Oh well I am excited either way.

Thanks for the input. I am looking to buy in the next few weeks.

Jeff

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Nikon D-70s HANDS DOWN!!!! (Currently the D80)

I’ve gone through so many high end point and shoots and when I finally stepped up the Nikon D70S DSLR, I will NEVER touch a point and shoot again. The Nikon menu is logical and easier to use than ANY Of the point and shoots that I have used, it is lighting fast, quality of the camera and the pics it takes are nothing short of astounding. I’ve shot well over 10,000 pictures through mine already and only owned it just a year and it is still going strong, no issues.

When I bought mine, Ron Tyler played with it for a little bit then promptly went out and bought one. Another friend bought the Cannon equivalent, sort of liked it, then took it back and bought the Nikon D-80 and couldn’t be happier.

Here are a few I’ve taken with my NIKON D70s

Bucker3.jpg

Bucker2.jpg

TropicsMedium.jpg

Bow3Custom.jpg

Bow2Large.jpg

Fuzz1Large.jpg

crop1Medium.jpg

Don't get to gung-ho on the mega pixel count. Some of the high pixel counts on small ccds start causeing interference with each other. Sorry, I really don't play with the stuff and can't get more model type info, but I have seen amazing stuff w/5 mega pixel cameras. The top end Espon inkjets are amazing what they can do.

If you don't want or need all the manual settings of a D-SLR then the camera I have is a great choice.

Some test pics

P1000182.jpg

P1000180.jpg

P1000178.jpg

P1000344.jpg

P1000682copy-2.jpg

P1000689-1.jpg

Panasonic Lumix FX07, 7.2 megapixels $350. The Leica lens really sold me on it. Its about the size of a pack of cigarettes btw. The pictures look just as good full sized too, the only bad thing is that low light pictures leave something to be desired.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Thanks for the great info and picture examples. I am to my own demise an idiot that usually over buys. I could get away with a much less as far as features that I will not use but I always want to buy the best of any thing if I can swing it. I am interested in the D70 that you are talking about but I have to say the one that one of the other guys suggested for like 350.00 seems to have taken very good photos. I know it is easier to tell me what you like about it than what you don't but if you have any complaints about a bad one or any of the ones that are being discussed please chime in.

Thanks again

Jeff

I have to say to stick with a GOOD point n shoot. You get really good glass in these new 6-10 megapixel point n shoot cameras. With an SLR you will need to spend about $1000-$1500 in glass to match the point n shoots.

If you are not going for artsy, creative, technicaly difficult photos you wont need the SLR. You will miss less shots with a small point n shoot.

That said, I shoot an SLR with 40 pounds of gear in tow. I use a Canon 20D primarily which you can get for a good deal now that the D30 was released.

I cant go without mentioning software. It is very important to have good software to get the most out of any camera.

Read and study material and pay attention to the glass they use.

http://www.steves-digicams.com

http://www.megapixel.net

http://www.dpreview.com

http://www.photoblink.com <---real good photographers here

Here is some of my work:

http://www.photoblink.com/photosthumb.asp?groupby=authorid&value=6974

Mystic Connecticut:

pb193463.jpg

GTO-R at Limerock:

http://www.photoblink.com/images/c22/im/pb187360.jpg

Back Yard:

pb192880.jpg

or go to my signature link to my other albums.

Guest 81na ZX

I'd suggest a Nikon D40 if you can find one when they come out next month. Or a D50. Both have the same sensor as the D70/D70s. The D80 has a new sensor (same as the Sony/minolta) which doesn't have quite the same picture quality.

If you want a Canon, theres a new Digi Rebel (XTi I think). But its more expensive than a D50/D40.

I shoot a couple year old film Nikon N80, so I'm a little biased ;)

Nilkon Canon Sony Fuji.....don't get hung up on a name unless you already have the lenses for it.

They are all good. Remember this very important rule. Glass holds it's value EXTREMELY well. Especially when it says Canon L or Nikor on it. The SLR bodies price drops faster than a coilovered Z. They DO NOT hold value for very long at all. Spend the big money on the glass and buy older model SLR bodies.

Still I stick with my recommendation of a GOOD $400-$500 point and shoot and you will NOT be dissapointed. Spend the leftover $$$ on the new baby. BTW my redhead is expecting our first child this January. Good luck and congrats.

I use my printer for about 10-15 high quality prints a year. The rest are archived on DVD or the Web. For lots of prints, you can't beat the big stores or the real photo print services. I would love to get one of the new large format, archival quality printers, but it's just not financially right for me.

• Administrators
With an SLR you will need to spend about $1000-$1500 in glass to match the point n shoots.

Hi cyg,

In general, I agree with you, particularly on the importance of glass... BUT in my experience,

Nice Nikon lenses have typically been more affordable than Cannon.

Nikon's are generally considered 'easier' to use. Not necessarily important to the proffessional that shoots everyday. But, VERY important to the casual shooter.

I have tried several of the point and shoots... they are all 'difficult' (to me). Don't get me wrong, I've seen some stunning pictures taken with P&S's, but it certainly takes more skill.

We can argue all day about which camera is better, but here is a fact... I can take better pictures, with less fuss, and more consistency with my D70 than ANY other camera I've yet used... and I don't have anywhere near $1000 in glass.

You guys have posted some NICE PICS!!

Goldfish brings up an issue with interference (moire) and that can happen. But this occurs with any digital camera. The Sigma models should have less of a problem with this since the RGB pixels are stacked... at least the "rainbow sparkles" don't exist. I don't know what other manufacturers are utilizing the Foveon chip but it's worth investigating, I think. The thing to remember about the Foveon chip is that it effectively has 3X the pixel count on the chip... remember the RGB pixels are stacked.

I'm not comfortable recommending any particular brand/model because I've been out of the business for years. Just keep in mind that, to make a SIGNIFICANT difference in image quality, you need to AT LEAST DOUBLE the pixel count. That's about what it takes to go from one size print to the next... at least in "old school" print size, i.e. 4x6-5x7, 5x7-8x10, 8x10-11x14, etc. So, as goldfish points out, one shouldn't get "too" caught-up in pixel count. The difference between 5MP and 6MP is negligible but the difference between 5MP and 10MP is something to consider.

Other than this, it's a matter of features and how you like to shoot. Do you want interchangeable lenses? Do you want easy point-and-shoot operation? Is color/exposure accuracy more important than speed? Do you want to put serious effort/time into image editing? What software will you use... (quick/easy, or hobbyist, or serious editing)?

There is no easy answer to "which digital camera" you should buy. You must first set some parameters, then post these parameters for advice from those who have used cameras with similar features... then go shopping. Try to find a place where they'll let you try a few cameras out.

My .02

EDIT: BTW, my point-and-shoot is an old Nikon Coolpix 4500. It does a very nice job for up to 4x6 inch prints. Some would say it'll do nice 8x12's but that would resampling upward... a serious NO-NO in my book.

I agree with all of the above. That's why it is hard to make a choice for you. I just think that one is more likely to carry around a point n shoot camera at all times. Therefore one misses less shots. I have some good $150 lenses too. But a good a point and shoot lens is generally good at everything. My $150 lenses are good at one end of their range or at a fixed range. An SLR lens must be changed to acheive a different result in a different range. It's inconvenient and convenient at the same time. :wink: There is no right answer you must study and glean the pros and cons of each possible path. Ideally you get both an SLR and a PnS. If you shop right, you can do both. I have all the fancy SLR gear and now I wish I had a nice PnS to throw in the glovebox for those unexpected moments.

Beautiful shots up there guys BTW!

I love this one:

BWGoose.jpg

While not a SLR camera, I picked up a new Canon S3IS after our old Digicam got stolen.. I am pretty happy with it.. It still has many functions that I am not familiar with.. But it works pretty well as a point and shoot camera with room to learn it more advanced capabilities, and it will shoot in high speed mode also ( one thing I wanted in the new cam )

Another thing I liked was the 12x optical zoom and the fact that it uses "AA" batteries.. I hate battery packs.. I keep a few "AA" rechargeable batteries on hand and in a pinch if the batteries go dead.. I can go a store and pick up some regular batteries for it..

All these pics were point and shoot.

1pic.jpg

2pic.jpg

3pic.jpg

4pic.jpg

5pic.jpg

The last one was taken a few days ago in the dark when I was pushing out the Z to go in the barn :( until the wagon gets completed..

• Administrators

Beautiful shots up there guys BTW!

I love this one:

Thank You Dave,

If it matters, its a Grumman Goose w/turbine conversion... taken 150 yards from my front door.

Here's a shot of same plane...

BWGoose2.jpg

I *DIG* your dragon shot.

The best dragon shot I've got to date (taken with an Olympus P&S)...

dragon.jpg

I love airplane photos. Rarely do I get to see a seaplane around here anymore. I remember growing up, it was still legal to land on the small lake by my parents bungalo. Whenever we heard the Cessna low over our roofs, all the kids, including me, would run down to the lake to watch it land on the water.