HybridZ

Need advice on Really Nice Digital Camera..

Guest Aguyandaredhead

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CYGNUSX1... That bird/fish shot is truly amazing. And... it may very well be real/unretouched. Please note that I've known some photographers who... umm... enhance their images. I'm not saying that's bad because I would do the same and I have decent Photoshop skills. I knew one guy who had high-quality taxidermied animals made to his specs and would take them into natural settings for photo sessions. He never told his publishers that they were all fixed (not that they would care as long as he told no one else). Back to the bird shot... it would be very easy to photograph the disparate components and piece them together into a believable image. Some of the very best photographers enhance their work in this way. Again though.. it could just as easily be a real image. Point is... if they're good at it, you never really know:wink:

Check these out...

http://photo.net/equipment/sigma/sd9 (10MP equivelent)

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/rss/sigma-intros-sd14-dslr-with-foveon-x3-sensor-203226.php (14MP equivelent)

EDIT------------------------------------------

I haven't investigated Canon's CMOS chip yet... will do that soon.

Don't let all the confusion about "resolution" throw your judgement. Most of the posts in those forums mentioning the Foveon chip are bull. They know not what they say. They're cutting the Foveon chip down because they think it has 1/3 the pixels of the CCD chips. WRONG!!! In TRUTH the CCD chips have 1/3 of what THEY'RE advertised with because the RGB pixels are separated side-to-side. So a 9MP CCD chip ALSO only has 3MP... once these are realigned. BTW, this misalignment is what causes MOST of the horrible digital artifacts we all hate.

The PROOF is in the final image. Just take a look for yourselves.

SPARKY... Actually, some aftermarket lenses are made (or used to be) with adapters so they could be swapped between differing camera brands. This was prior to autofocus though;) I don't know if this is possible with today's high-tech lenses. I haven't looked.

Right, with adapters, guess I should have clarified again :) it would be nice if they had a universal lens standard that would assure that different manufactures lenses would bolt up to different bodies. :lol:

I'm not sure on the Autofocus lenses either but it would be nice. I would imagine though that most camera manufactures would have some kind of proprietary communication port or signal interpretation that would make it difficult to cross adapt. again, I could be wrong.

its obvious that I'm an amateur, although at one point in time photography was my focus until my A1 went tits-up. Its been in the past three years that I've picked it up again when I got my first decent digital camera. I recently got second place in a local photography competition, along with tons of compliments on my other photos. Its nice to hear and has given me a push to purchase a DSLR and fix my A1.....we'll see, my less than a year old Canon was recently stolen from a job site, so I need to buy something before I leave.

Guest 81na ZX
Umm, just to clarify. All Canon lenses will fit any Canon DSLR. As should Nikons. The DSLR and the SLR mounts are the same for each brand.

For further clarification, Canons can use any Canon lens made sence 1987 when the EF mount came out. So if you have one a lens made for a FD mount (build from 71 to 87), they are unusable on a new Canon. However, for many of those years Canons were a distant second or third to Nikon and Minolta, so FD mount lenses are relatively rare. The FD mount is COMPLETELY mechanically different from the EF mount.

Every Nikon can mount a Ai or newer F bayonet lens (1977 to today). However only a D200, D1 or D2 can meter with them. D40/50/70/80 can mount them but the meter doesn't work. In 1983, Nikon started making lenses for the F3AF with a CPU chip in them. Just about every lens made sence 1983 (F3AF, AF, AI-P, D, G, AF-S, AF-I, etc) will meter on every modern Nikon body.

The F mount was developed in 1951, but, up to 1977 they are refered to as pre-Ai lenses. They can't be used on a moden body unless they are converted (theres a guy in Michigan that converts lenses for about $20)

• Administrators

I’ve noticed a few posts in this thread here about a distinct separation between the “DSLR” and the “point and shoot”. Pretty much all of the DSLRs work as point and shoot cameras and in my not so humble opinion, the DSLR’s make for a far better Point and Shoot type camera than ANY of the currently available point and shoot cameras. The DSLR’s are and much faster and easier to take those point and shoot type pictures with vs the non DSLR. There are several automatic modes on the DSLR and my experience thus far after owing several high end point and shoots and now low end DSLR, (Nikon D-70’S), is that the DSLR is more idiot proof for the “casual” picture taker than the traditional point and shoots (even the kids can grab it, turn it on, take few pics with no problems) . With the DSLR there are far fewer missed shots, (I missed many great pictures with all of the point and shoots I’ve used because of the LAG they exhibit), and when using any of the auto modes on the DSLR, just point and shoot and it happens RIGHT NOW and the picture is usually AWESOME! no pause, no thinking, no waiting for a flash charge, etc. I’ve owned a few of the high end point and shoots and my Nikon D-70s is a far better, more accurate, easier to use “point and shoot” type camera than any “point and shoot” I’ve ever used.

After owning both, her ei how I view the Point and shoot vs DSLR debate… What the “point and shoots” have over the DSLR is cheaper entry price, smaller size, and the ability to see the “pretaken” picture on the back screen. That’s it. At that, for just a few dollars more than a good point and shoot , a DSLR can be had, so if you car at all about overall camera quality, picture quality, ease of use, etc, the price thing doesn’t count. There is nothing else that a Point and shoot has OVER the DSLR in any other regard.

These pics were taken with a an Olympus D700 series point and shoot across the street form my house/shop.…

BigGooseMedium.jpg

Radial.jpg

BigGooseoutahereMedium.jpg

Taken with D70s, On final, Troutdale OR, KTTD, Ron Tyler in the left seat…

PilotsMedium.jpg

BRAAP... you have a valid point. However, a DSLR is not as portable and is a bit more cumbersome to use. Fully automatic film SLR's have been essentially point-and-shoot for many years. Most consumers still prefer the smaller size and features of the point-and-shoot. Sometimes even subtle differences make the difference. Just try to hand that full-size DSLR to your wife or g/f and ask her to keep it in her purse and carry it around all day.

BRAAP... you have a valid point. However, a DSLR is not as portable and is a bit more cumbersome to use. Fully automatic film SLR's have been essentially point-and-shoot for many years. Most consumers still prefer the smaller size and features of the point-and-shoot. Sometimes even subtle differences make the difference. Just try to hand that full-size DSLR to your wife or g/f and ask her to keep it in her purse and carry it around all day.

You have a valid point Mike, size does matter to some. I have been wanting to get a nice DSLR for some time, but have beem making do with a Fuji Finepix...it is nice and small, but like the Nikon Coolpix I had before it, is a little slow to take the photo.

Dtsnlvrs... Yes, that's very true my little P-n-S Coolpix is great for snapshots but it's ANNOYINGLY slow. I haven't shopped for cameras in years. Hasn't ANY manufacturer addressed this issue for their P-n-S models yet?!?

Really? My Panasonic is really fast, plus I think its the only ultra small p-n-s with image stabilization (works GREAT btw).

We've gone through a lot of point and shoot digital cameras in my house, and the ones that are about 2 years old are really slow but the newer ones are quite fast. My mom's Cybershot (DSC-S90) is about a year and a half old and is quite quick. My Panasonic Lumix the fastest I've seen.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/zguy95135/Night%20Photoshoot/

Night shots using a 1 second exposure (on fireworks setting), tripod (except the first two) and no flash. (keep in mind they look much better uncompressed, photobucket takes away some contrast, and gives it more grain then it actually has). They are shrunk down from 3072x1728 to 950x534.

Dtsnlvrs... Yes, that's very true my little P-n-S Coolpix is great for snapshots but it's ANNOYINGLY slow. I haven't shopped for cameras in years. Hasn't ANY manufacturer addressed this issue for their P-n-S models yet?!?

Yes. The Minolta DiMage Z6 is very fast. I'm surprised at how fast, depending on the setting...

Mike

I guess it's time to replace my Coolpix 4500. Maybe I'll go all-out and buy a really nice DSLR with an array of decent lenses. It may help take the pain away from selling all my large format gear:)

• Administrators
I guess it's time to replace my Coolpix 4500. Maybe I'll go all-out and buy a really nice DSLR with an array of decent lenses. It may help take the pain away from selling all my large format gear:)

Yes Mike... you should :wink:

BTW, inquiring minds want to see a few samples of your work?!?!?

P.S. When do you suppose digital medium format will hit the market?

Yes. The Minolta DiMage Z6 is very fast. I'm surprised at how fast, depending on the setting...

Mike

I've got a Z5 and my brother has a Z6, and we couldn't be happier. they offer a lot of functionality. and are pretty easy to use. low light focus tends to take a while though. i would consider them intermediate. as in, in between a DSLR, and a small P&S.

here's some of my favorite pics. not perfect, but overall a very fun camera to use.

AprilLAtrip006.jpg

CollegeYosemiteTrip025xanga.jpg

AprilLAtrip093.jpg

pics087.jpg

Ron... Digital medium format has been on the market for years... just not available to the masses at "affordable prices". I suspect another leap in technology is required before truly affordable "high-end" digital imaging comes to fruition for photo enthusiasts. By "high-end", I mean total systems that are capable of making extremely high-quality images at 40x50 inches and larger. The last time I shopped for a truly high resolution back, the prices were in the tens of thousands of dollars and no non-scanning large format backs were available. In other words they are only suitable for studio still-life images. Perhaps this has changed... I really don't know. Since I haven't been able to lug around my large format gear, I lost interest.

EDIT: I don't have any old stuff here in town but here are a couple of images from the Coolpix...

plant_thumb.jpg

gecko_thumb.jpg