Post your photography!!

tfreer85

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When times change, they will be back. I have a hunch.

I think the next step for prime lenses is to pack more than one set of glass elements into one lense that can be stepped rather than varied like a zoom.

picture this... a lense with stepped settings at which the glass performance is equal in sharpness and all other factors (bokeh, moire, fringing, vignetting) at one focal length as it is at another, but they are all "set" lengths and not variable by the user in a sense that one could go in between those lengths.

Sort of like what optometrists use to test your eye-sight.

a multi-prime lense, perhaps?

I think prime lenses are so sharp because they have minimal glass. In theory, a pinhole lens (no glass) would be the sharpest but it's not, so not quite sure.

A while back I saw a camera that focused on everything in the scene. In otherwords, the depth of field was infinite but selective. Hard to describe. After the photo was taken, any plane could be selected for focal plane. So basically, focusing at the time of the photo was not needed. Focusing was done after the photo was already in the camera.

I think the next step for prime lenses is to pack more than one set of glass elements into one lense that can be stepped rather than varied like a zoom.

picture this... a lense with stepped settings at which the glass performance is equal in sharpness and all other factors (bokeh, moire, fringing, vignetting) at one focal length as it is at another, but they are all "set" lengths and not variable by the user in a sense that one could go in between those lengths.

Sort of like what optometrists use to test your eye-sight.

a multi-prime lense, perhaps?

Already out there, Leica has one:

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2193.html

that has different focal lengths on different cameras, I don't see the info on different prime lengths that are changeable.

Read again... Another source, same lens:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/wa-tri-elmar.shtml

In 1998 Leica introduced the Tri-Elmar (TE), offering 28, 35 and 50mm focal lengths in one lens. Though not a zoom lens, it was the first lens incorporating three separate focal lengths available for an M series Leica.

At Photokina in September, 2006 Leica introduced a new Tri-Elmar, the 16-18-21mm, which from here-on I'll call the WA-TE.

Edited by Drax240z

Yikes! "Tri Elmar sells for $3,895"

But you can get three good prime lenses for $300-$500 total that will each shoot way faster than that Tr-Elmar. Why pay all that money for not having to switch lenses. I guess that's a personal choice. Heck, get three cameras, one for each prime lens!

It's a Leica, of course it's expensive!

There are quality zooms that are as good as primes. Those I listed above all are considered "professional" Nikon lenses, and will rival or exceed many primes in terms of speed, sharpness, bokeh, and AF speed.

There are still high end primes that will knock your socks off (say, the 200mm f2, what a lens!), and primes that aren't worth owning (28mmf2.8 for example). As with most things, each lens is more than the numbers printed on them.

Nikon zoom lenses that will allow professional quality results:

17-35f2.8

14-24f2.8

24-70f2.8

28-70f2.8

80-200f2.8

200-400f4

And the primes:

28f1.4

50f1.4

85f1.4

105f2

135f2

200f2

300f2.8

400f2.8

500f4

600f4 (~$11,000, FWIW)

Honourable mention - Potentially professional results at less than professional prices:

50f1.8

60f2.8

105f2.8

300f4

Edited by Drax240z

oh nice!

i tried to look at the tri-elmar page and find the list of lengths in each body, but instead it just showed a list of lengths with no indication of what combination they come in.

i like that list of lenses, i'm in need of a new lense when i get back into the swing of things... friggen z31 taking up all my time :(

• 2 weeks later...

i do mostly print for hotels... but im looking into property developers. What you said about real estate is very true, however they're not goin to pay $5k for some pictures to put in a classified paper, u knw wat i mean?

A typical real estate job over here costs ~$500 depending on the house. Was chatting with my last agent about it a bit, she really notices the difference in the interest the house gets with properly lit, sharp and well composed photos showing the house. Go figure. Some agents "get it" and some don't I guess.