HybridZ

Quick Steering Knuckles

Alright so i jsut wrote the thing out, and now im too tired to rewrite it, so heres the short story.

WOndering about the streetability of the set, looking to track it some here and there, will take the vehicle on trips of over 600 miles, and thinking wuick steering would get burdensome, true?

LINK: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4181

On top of that, i am looking to go through the entire suspension and upgrade, but cant afford big chunks at once, in which order can i go through it without an upgraded piece wearing out a stock piece before i have funds to go and up that piece?

Thanx Guys:lol:

I have them on both cars, and I would have a very hard time giving them up. I don't find that they made the car any less streetable - wider tires make a much larger difference. On the other hand, I paid less than half what MSA is asking now.

Dave's parts are nice, a friend of mine is using them, but they are race parts. If you're going to replace your hardened steel knuckles with aluminum knuckles, I hope you inspect them often.

so aluminum would be bad street knuckles then huh, i dont need to be inspecting items i had just put on the car, i want something that will make it better turning wise, you dont understand i race go-karts and there is jsut that quick turning feel that i need sometimes. Im pretty sure im going to go with the Z Store Iron(correct?) knuckles

LINK: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4181

Since from what i hear they'll be alittle more reliable, and im not into the whole flashyness fo the cnc'd stuff.

Any info on which items can/should be replaced(upgraded) first in the suspension.

Who is Dave('s Parts)?

good question? does it affect the steering radius, make it a bigger circle or a smaller circle? i mean, if it isnt too bad, then im not too worried about it, pretty sure about the puchasing of these parts.

Also, are the parts from The Z Store Iron, ALuminum, niehter? which is it made from?

Should make the steering radius tighter (unless the tire hits the frame rail or the TC rod before full lock). Will also reduce Ackerman. I don't know exactly where the Ackerman is on a stock Z, I think it's pretty much 0, so you might have negative Ackerman after installing these, meaning the inside wheel doesn't turn as much as the outside wheel. Positive Ackerman means the inside wheel turns more than the outside wheel.

The AZC parts don't have the twist at the end of the knuckle that the stock or Nissan knuckles do. I've wondered if that means that the tie rod could bottom at some point in the suspension travel, but I haven't seen anyone report about it yet, so maybe it's OK. You would figure that Nissan put that angle in there for a reason.

The Z store parts are the Nissan Comp steer knuckles, and they are steel. My understanding is that most other countries got the quick steer knuckles as the standard equipment. You might be able to figure out who got what and have a set shipped for less than $275. I don't think that they're all that rare, just rare here in the US.

I don't think I am going to quicken my steering for my race car... If I did though...

I could buy the factory style forged knuckles.. and then drill them out to 5/8" and use my newly minted custom bumpsteer adjustable tie rods...

Or I could buy AZC knuckles and go back to factory tie rods...

I am building adjustability into my set up.. I would be stuck with whatever Dave recommends with his set up...

Here you go.. some pics of the mods... I'll add some more later...

bumpsteertierods2.jpg

bumpsteertierods1.jpg

enddetail.jpg

I used 5/8" HIGH$$$$ rod ends... left and right threads...I hacked off the ends of some old factory tie rods... I machined them down to fit inside the swedged tubes... and I drilled the steering knuckles out for 5/8" bolts...

Lemme tell you.. those factory parts are FORGED steel... It took me over an hour to drill those arms out.... It took a while to machine down the ends of the factory tie rods too....