HybridZ

update on the l28et rx7

v8dats

well not much of an update. been busy with work and way from the cars and all of my spare time went into getting the cars and tools moved into our new workshop.

i found a complete engine and harness at the local you pull it and brought it back to the shop and loaded on the engine hoist.

STA60049.JPG.

as we started to lower the engine into the bay we noticed how tight it really was with all of the accesories compared to just the bare block. so we removed the clutch and a/c compressor to give us a bit more clearance.

STA600221.JPG

with the engine lowered into the bay we noticed that we had a problem

STA600261.JPG

STA60034.JPG

with the engine all the way to the beat up firewall (we tried to gain a little room by beating it back with a hammer) the sump of the engine did not clear the drag link on the mazda.

STA60040.JPG.

i need opinions on how to aproach this guys! should i try to cut the firewall or do a rack swap?

i have heard of the second gen suspension swap to use a rack system but there is little info on this. maybe a custom oil pan?

a custom oil pan, seems like the most hassle free imo. that is probably what i would do in you case. firewall cutting is just not my thing, but it would recess the engine back b/c you have to think of the original rotary engine weight to the l28et weight. heres a few pointers:

1. custom oil pan, pickup - easy to do (other clearance problems?)

2. firewall cut - engine balanced more toward center of car (better handling)

3. rack swap - just as much fabrication as firewall but with custom oil pan results.... engine weight too far into the nose of the car.

Put it in a Z....

Sorry to state the obvious, but really, why put a Z motor in a RX7?

its better than the rotary,cheap power,wanted something different.

you are always bragging about how easy it is to make power with an l28so why not?

why put a chevy engine in a z? i dont want to get into that kind of a discussion.

i was chatting with a guy who did the 2nd gen front suspension swap into his sbf rx7.minor mods and fits fine. i may go that route.

but then again setting the engine back would be neat.

we are not going to autocross the car and will be running a chevy auto tranny. just thought it would be a fun different drag project that my brother and i can work on together.

I understand all the "HybridZ" reasons, but you are talking about an RX7, not a Z. The RX7 is similar to the Z in many ways, so if you are hell bent on fixing up your RX7, save yourself some time and energy and put a rotary in it. The HP potential is huge with a rotary, and it is much lighter than an L6. If you want max power and don't care about weight, put a V8 in it. It will probably fit better, and there may be people making motor mounts for this conversion.

Just my $0.02...

wow!

yes we can make power with the rotary. we can make 400 hp with the rotary but for how long? how about the torque curve?

yes you can stick a v8 in it as well. i know about the granny kits we looked into that.

just wanted something different.

you can stick a rotary in a z but not a z engine in a place of a roatry?

its cool to see people fab up stuff for their z? but not for the mazda?

i thought it would be cool to share my project here but according to you its just not worth it.

Juan,

you understand what hybridz'ers are all about so do not be discouraged. Try not to reinvent the wheel. If someone has already done an FC to FB x-member swap and it is not a hassle, get the details and go for it. If the oil pan can be modified, that's your other option.

i got a chance to chat with a guy who did the swap and from what i gathered it takes some minor fabbing to do the crossmember swap. this places a rack and pinion in front of the crossmember eliminating the need to modify the oil pan.if we decide to go that route i'll take lots of pics and document the swap also.

I understand all the "HybridZ" reasons, but you are talking about an RX7, not a Z. The RX7 is similar to the Z in many ways, so if you are hell bent on fixing up your RX7, save yourself some time and energy and put a rotary in it. The HP potential is huge with a rotary, and it is much lighter than an L6. If you want max power and don't care about weight, put a V8 in it. It will probably fit better, and there may be people making motor mounts for this conversion...

An aluminum V8 like from a Q45 or Titan....Muahahahahaha!

I'm going to have to agree with z-ya on this one. I'm not telling you not to do it either, but generally the purpose of an engine swap is to IMPROVE the car. If it doesn't IMPROVE the car, then why bother? I fail to see what great benefit the L6 is going to give you. I imagine it's going to be extremely nose heavy and won't make any more power than a V8 engine swap would, and seems like it's going to require a bunch of screwing around with it to get it in there.

If you just want to do it because you can, then go for it, but don't be surprised when people ask why...

I don't see any reason to dis' this swap. V8dats wants to do it, and that's the only reason needed. The improvement in the car may just be that the existing engine didn't work anymore and he got a good deal on the L28. Uniqueness can be an improvement as well. It's one thing to do a swap that plenty of other people have done, but it takes some ingenuity to do one that no one else has.

oh im definately going to do the swap. i dont think anyone else has done it.

we got the car for free with a blown engine and i had a complete l28 sitting on a stand next to it for a couple of years. i know a v8 would be an easy swap.this is just going to be a quick little car for the test and tune drags. i picked up the l28et complete with harness(pulled it myself) and thought it would be a cool car to have.

this is my brothers project and thats what he wanted. i have messed with the turbo engine before and he loved them. now he wants one in his rx7 so i am going to swap it in for him.

i told him to go v8 but he didnt want it. besides i think it would be a nice challenge.

if you guys are interested heres some pics of my v8 datsun

me_013.jpg

Picture_290.jpg

thanks to you all

I'm going to have to agree with z-ya on this one. I'm not telling you not to do it either, but generally the purpose of an engine swap is to IMPROVE the car. If it doesn't IMPROVE the car, then why bother? I fail to see what great benefit the L6 is going to give you. I imagine it's going to be extremely nose heavy and won't make any more power than a V8 engine swap would, and seems like it's going to require a bunch of screwing around with it to get it in there.

If you just want to do it because you can, then go for it, but don't be surprised when people ask why...

This WILL IMPROVE on the car. Might not be the most ideal engine for this car.....But it definetly improves on the coolness factor. :D

I understand all the "HybridZ" reasons, but you are talking about an RX7, not a Z. The RX7 is similar to the Z in many ways, so if you are hell bent on fixing up your RX7, save yourself some time and energy and put a rotary in it. The HP potential is huge with a rotary, and it is much lighter than an L6. If you want max power and don't care about weight, put a V8 in it. It will probably fit better, and there may be people making motor mounts for this conversion.

Just my $0.02...

maybe he likes TQ and not sounding like a retarted honda lol....

Interesting swap...I am liking it....I have always loved the SA22 FB RX7...my favorite of all generations, and they always needed a Turbo and Torque which is why the Savanna Turbo was created in 1981.

If the rack swap is tricky, cutting the oil pan switching the sump location and then making a custom pick-up is not bad...I had to do it when I put the FJ20 in my old Datsun truck.

Go for it!

Yasin