HybridZ

Rear Control Arm Bushing Tool

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

I've developed a tool for removing those rear control arm bushings that makes the job a lot easier. I'm working on a patent for the tool now, but I hope to have them for sale soon; probably about $30, which is less than the cost of 2 pins.

I'm interested to get some feedback on this; some opinions, and maybe an idea of the demand for something like this.

A real US patent would cost you upwards of $10,000 and you wouldn't get any protection from foreign manufacturers. If your tool is a good design and has some market potential, a rival will buy one from you, sent it to Taiwan, and within 2 months be selling copies for $5 each - legally. Patents are basically worthless now-a-days. They are just a money makers for lots of lawyers.

Make your tool and sell it. Save the patent money for marketing.

John knows of what he speaks... I checked to see how much it would cost to patent my control arm design for the rear... lawyer friend of mine just laughed and said he wouldn't want to take my money for such a waist of time...

Just sell them.. save your money.

Mike

Is the tool for the pin that connects the rear control arm to the strut housing? Or is the tool for the rubber bushings in the control arms.

If it is for the rubber bushings just use a blow torch and heat it until the ruber part falls out. After that use a saber saw or sawsall to cut a line in the metal sleeve and just curl it in on itself and take it out. icon_smile.gif

May the force be with you if it is for the pin, I've heard that those can be really stuck. Make it and sell it, if you don't you will wish you did.

Don icon_cool.gif

Guest zthang43

Yeah, the patent idea seems like too much trouble and money. If somebody could explain to me though how to post stuff for sale, I'll get those tools ready in the next couple days.

Yes, it is a tool for removing the pin that holds the strut to the control arm. No, it's not just a rod that threads on that you beat with a hammer.

I've put some real engineering thought into this (i'm a ME) and it works well. I have a rear suspension sitting out in the rain and woods that should be really, really stuck though, so I'm going to do a final test on that before I sell any. (Don't want to rip anybody off.)

I think I can make a little modification to the tool so it will get the bushings out too, but that's not the main purpose so we'll see.

Yeah, a tool which could be hooked up to an impact wrench would be great. I've done it three time now with no problems, once on Saturday at the JY (where there's no pneumatics anyways)with my old claw hammer and some old bolts I found lying around, holding them with my vice grips. Took a bit of pounding (small hammer), but was definitely easier than getting off the maxima caliper brackets!!!

Tim

Guest zthang43

Ok, I've got some of these strut pin pullers all ready to sell. I tested my latest one on a 76 280Z suspension that was in my back yard in the rain, leaves, and mud for the last year. Before that it was in a wrecking yard attached to a rusty old beater, so I figured this one is about as stuck as they get. Also, the slot in the pin for that little lock bolt was all boogered up (I think I did that accidentally), but the pin came out anyway, and left a deep gouge in the strut and the bushing. The tool didn't seem to be overworked at all.

It took me about 20 minutes to pull the nuts and locking bolt off, and to get the pin out using an impact gun on the tool. It is doable with a wrench too, just takes a lot longer. I had the suspension off of the car, but it still was a lot quicker than beating the pin out, plus the pin is re-usable.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to post them for sale on the HybridZ store; haven't heard back from whoever I contacted. Anybody want to give me a hint on what to do?

I'm selling these pullers for $30 each, which is, like I said before, cheaper than replacing the pins, and a lot easier. I checked shipping; it was about $6.50 to Florida (I'm in Washington State) for 2 day air.

Guest zthang43

I'll try to post a picture sometime soon. I want to post a picture of my Z anyway. Right now though I don't have a digital camera or a scanner. icon_sad.gif I'm just using an old 486 that I got for $2 at an auction at work. icon_biggrin.gif

I think my friend has a scanner though, so maybe within a week or so I can get some pics up.

You can get a throw away camera for about $5(get the one with the flash!) and take it to get developed. They can put it on disc or diskette(not the 5 1/4 floppy though) along with the regular pics, for about $10-$15. The film developers will give you a Kodak program to use to bring it up. Works on most any pc. Even worked on a 486 at work. Hope it helps.