HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

that shinny mx-5 (miata) is painted using brightside (which is boat paint) not rustoleum, it appears to be shinnier and you guys in america can buy it off ebay

turns out that guy lives in melbourne so i've found out where he's gotten the paint from and am planning to pick some up (mayb in a light blue colour like that m3 colour on3go has his car painted in, but depends what they make) and see if i get the same results, along with using his polishing technique on the rust paint i've played with a bit (killrust) to see if it can get as shinny :D

with your rustoleum giong all milky, is the metho you're using 100% or are there some other thigns in it possibily reacting with it and making it go that way? when i apply the rust paint i've been using it comes up glossy yet there is some orange peel in it, and i havn't tried polishing it well enough to get back to orginal gloss, only well enough to give it what i'd say is a shinny satin finish

The Mopar site has all the info on how to do this type of paint job. It's very much like the way a lacquer paint job used to be done. Prep, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand etc.. The quality of the paint job was directly related to how well your sanding was done and how many layers of paint you would apply. I painted my 260z this way in 1986. As you sand you are always moving up to the next finest grit and removing the scratches and orange peel from the prevoius sanding. If some of your body work wasn't quite good enough you could go back a couple of grits and make the repair. Lacquer paint was a great way for a home DYI er to get a paint job. But, it had alot downfalls. Durabilty wasn't as good as enamel . Another reason is due to the solvents in lacquer and how it effects our enviroment. Lacquer also is brittle and would show hairline cracks real easy. Now, the roller job uses a oil based enamel and rustoleum seems to have some flex to it. It takes some finese to get a real show quality paint job but it can be done . I wanted to get as close to my 918 orange on my 73 240z so I went to Benjamin Moore and got their version of the Oil based enamel. They will custom tint this paint but I found an orange from their color chart that was a real close match. They call their enamel a modified enamel since it contains a urethane for added flex and durabilty. I've practiced with on my 240 and so far it looks promising. I mixed it with somewhere between 20 and 30 % mineral spirits. You know when it's too thin cause the paint will run real easy. The good thing is if you want get it right you can stop and add alittle paint. The roller paint process requires you to experiment alittle. If you screw something up it's easy to sand off and start over. Sanding does requires some techinque and skill. But, it's easy to get and understanding on hoe to do right. Painting in lower temperatures seems to have no effect on how the paint worked other than to slow the cure time. Just make sure not to paint below freezing. Try to paint in the cold with a automotive paint and you'll have all kinds of problems

Picture 464_thumb.jpg

Just got back from lowes, and home depot. Home depot doesn't have any, but Lowes had a bunch of Rustoleum but the can looks different, and I'm still not sure it's the same stuff, but here's a picture of what I got. A pint of it was $8.70, a gallon was like $27. Is this the right stuff?

im000752ek8.jpg

that is the right paint there 240zV8

I have mixed red and black and got different versions. It mixes just fine.

mixed regal red and black. Center is just Regal red, and then the outer two are mixes with gloss black.

*note L6 with carbon soot all over it from leaky exhaust gasket on the engine stand...

b50671347.jpg

m50524670.jpg

it made a sort of a brown color. Safety red would have been better for making a darker red.

very chocolatey.

b50558136.jpg

and some polished regal red

b50524279.jpg

just wanted to clarify Brightside is a type of Interlux boant paint. Rustoleum has rust stop, proffesional, etc. Interlux has perfection, brightside, toplac, etc. The brightside is a polyurethane. Also it is more to the tune of 22 bucks a quart and around 66 a gallon. The best price I've found on this paint is at http://www.boatersland.com I'm currently painting a boat with interlux brightside. The paint is some tuff stuff though and about a year back I bought two quarts of gloss black for the Z still have yet to put it on my car.

www.rustoleum.com has a list of all the colors. They have a nice ight blue but I can't remember the name right now. I was going to dothe gloss black/regal red and it would look good but I decided to go all black. My wheels are black and all of my interior is black. Some polished parts and I will change my accent color from red to Xbox neon green. That is what I am going to be painting my engine block and misc engine parts.

that was fun...lol. I'll be honest, i'd rather roll it on for small jobs because I hate cleaning a paint gun especially with oil based paint that doesn't like to clean up. For a whole car I would spray it, but doing this little piece of sheetmetal is a pain, because i had to clean the gun just now, and i'll have to clean it again when I do every re-coat..lol It would be nice to just roll it, and throw away the roller.

The second pic is the best angle I could get a nice reflection, it's only one thin coat and it looks pretty smooth, after 4 coats it would look great, i'll keep coating and then sand it later to see. I mix about 20% mineral spirits and sprayed it.

im000753cj6.jpg

im000755mp3.jpg

OTM: your two tone is very nice and daring,:icon14::icon14: maybe a thin white stripe at the "red black" junction would complement the job nicely, my 0.02.

Anyone knows what color I should mix to get something colse to Laguna secca blue????

Try a bright blue and adding a little green to it till you get a shade you like... however when I sprayed that color... it looks nothing like it while wet... and after clear it chaged a little as well... very odd color.

• Like 1