HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

because the rustoleum paint is $8 dollars and is really durable ^. I painted a piece of sheetmetal and i've bent it in every direction and the paint doesn't crack or show it at all. Rolling it would be good for small jobs, but a whole car i would spray it (it would be faster, and alot less sanding). But I'm starting to like Big Jim's paint process. $65 for a gallon of one stage auto paint, hardener etc.., that way you can get all 5 or so coats done in a day. The rustoleum you can only do 1 coat a day, which might be a pain for some people.

i must say I admire you guys effort here. I wetsanded my car once and that was enough!

I personally would save the extra 30 bucks required to get a gallon of single stage ;) and a spray gun is only 50 bucks if you dont already have one.

But anyway looks like you are having some good results and getting a work out as well. Id be curious to see how well this stuff actually holds up to UV rays, car washing etc.

-Austin

Thanks Austin,

I may be at Zdayz this year so I might be able to show off my cheapo $50 paint job. Hopefully this year it will look better than how my car looked last year(like straight out of a JY lol).

This only has to last until I get out of college and can afford to buy the gear to do a real paint job (I am thinking a slightly red tinted black kind of color, maybe blackberry-ish?) ...going fast is a little more important right now than looking good.

I spent way too much $$$$ on replacement junk that I won't be able to use on a FI motor the first year I had the car.

BTW Autozone just got their first shipment of 1000 grit waterproof sandpaper!! I'm going to go pick some up!!!

The roof is soo hard to wetsand so that is why I am doing it first. Joining finished paint and new paint is actually pretty easy compared to how I thought it was going to be.

Maybe I'll finish wetsanding the roof tomorrow and start the last two coats. I am ready for this roof to be done!

haha...I showed the car looking like this...lol

half rattlecan flat black, half rustoleum...and no taillight covers...I did the clutch like 2 days before the show and installed the suspension the night before I had to leave...lol

m39035179.bmp

untuned illuminas were yelling UNDERSTEER during this pic...

The roller job is meant to get you a half decent looking paint job using cheap paint. With your labor being the largest investment. People are attempting to get professional looking results with this method but thats not the point.

Try doing a spray job without a booth or even a makeshift booth. Try to spray a two component type paint without the proper fresh-air breathing equipment. Try to spray in a garage with a temperature around 55 degrees. Inexperienced first timers would be extremely lucky to get a decent spray job and not waste expensive automotive type paint. Even with the best equipment. Spraying is complicated and the fumes are dangerous. Personally, my car is not a showpiece and the roller paint job is just what it needs to get it back on the road. No excuse for driving around with a primer paint job

i must say I admire you guys effort here. I wetsanded my car once and that was enough!

I personally would save the extra 30 bucks required to get a gallon of single stage ;) and a spray gun is only 50 bucks if you dont already have one.

But anyway looks like you are having some good results and getting a work out as well. Id be curious to see how well this stuff actually holds up to UV rays, car washing etc.

-Austin

Hey Austin...

You ask about UV rays, car wash (in the form of rain, sometimes, acid rain), aren't the mailboxes, patio furnitures, barbecues enought hardness test for Rustoleum????

Also, setting up for a good home made paint booth is a BEAR!!!! Just setting up an exhaust fan for it... OMG!!!

I think I'll try this Rustoleum job with my ZX. I'm budgeting $120 dollars on this for the paint, accessories and a couple of cheap sanders from Harbor(Freak).

PS... (a little change of subject here... sorry guys) I still love your wastegate job!!! Hope it's still holding up!

Mamba: Well for the actual rustoleum you can get a gallon for $25-$28 depending on where you get it. Spend about $10 in 4" wide rollers with roller bucket thingy. About $15 in different sandpaper, about $5 in mineral spirits(not paint thinner!), and then get some rags made out of old T-shirts...

Get an electric random orbital sander ($25?) to flatten any bumps and sand the paint a little bit.

That is about all you need.

KEEP IN MIND THAT RUSTOLEUM IS A LEADED PAINT!!

When you pull it off to do a real paint job you NEED a full respirator!

I went to the paint store today. The mixer guy told me that Rustoleum had in fact stopped the "Custom Color" program here in the U.S.. The reason he said was becuase of "known toxins" in the base. He did also tell me that he would be happy to add any tint to "White" Rustoleum, if I would promise to hold him harmless of the end result. Meaning, I would buy the mixed paint without warranty or complaints.

The limitations on the color mixed Rustoleum would probably be that only a "(small) percentage" of pigment could safley be added without harming the product. So deep colors would be hard to make. But, you know there are still so many cool colors that could be made.

I am thinking of my new project looking like a BMW art car.

90_chia.jpg

Mamba: Well for the actual rustoleum you can get a gallon for $25-$28 depending on where you get it. Spend about $10 in 4" wide rollers with roller bucket thingy. About $15 in different sandpaper, about $5 in mineral spirits(not paint thinner!), and then get some rags made out of old T-shirts...

Get an electric random orbital sander ($25?) to flatten any bumps and sand the paint a little bit.

That is about all you need.

KEEP IN MIND THAT RUSTOLEUM IS A LEADED PAINT!!

When you pull it off to do a real paint job you NEED a full respirator!

OTM: I forgot to give you kudos for what you've done for this thread and forum!!!! I've read the mopar thread before this and has asked my Canadian friend to smuggle me some Tremclad... until now that you've proven RUSTOLEUM US works! Some US people had problems with the US RUSTOLEUM but I think you've found that "Professional" was it. I have a lot of XMAS vacation days to spend on this to off I go!

I am going to be doing a two tone job (Black and Silver... yey Raiders!!!, I know... we have 1st draft this year ) and post pics later on in Jan!!!

Thanx again for pioneering this for us Z boys, OTM!!!

One more question, OTM. How did your garage floor turn out after all the wet sanding you've done? Should I have A LOT OF garbage bags on the floor to keep it from turning the RUSTOLEUM color I put on?

My wife is ready to kill me with all the mess I have in my kingdom (garage... and my sometimes other kingdom... the bathroom).

Thanx.

haha...I roll the car out on the ugly driveway to do most of my wetsanding...

The bathroom is a little harder to clean though...

When I was wetsanding in the garage I used some of those dark grey foam puzzle piece-ish garage floor mats and rolled the car onto them...that worked pretty good.

no offense meant cygnusx1,

my wife and my friend all that i was crazy when i itold them i was gonna spray my car with rusto this time. So just pokin a little fun :)

as far as price goes. COUNTING the electric HVLP gun and new hanging plastics and box fans, and tape, paper, tape, tape,paint, odorless paintthinner (not mineral spirits), and tape and delicious cold beverages i spent somewhere in the 150.00 to 200.00 dollar range.

WOOT

mamba - yea mail boxes are painted in rustoleum, and they also arent shiney and purdy ;) Most everything Ive seen turns a satin color after a while. And on the wetsanding thing just make sure to clean it up before it drys and youll be fine! other wise its pretty damn difficult to get up.

Kellhammer - I did mine in a make shift booth in my garage, first time painting anything. Im pretty happy with my results.

But again not knocking, more power to you guys. I cant wait to see the finished product. Didnt big Phil spray his car in rustoleum, I coudl be wrong but i seem to recall it looking purdy good. maybe he has some input to how its holding up

Btw my wetsading supplies were more then 100 bucks I would say, Different stages of sandpaper, squeegees, buffing compound, and buffer sure do addup. I have 1000 dollars in my Dupont Base/clear job, inlucluding guns and supplies. But i wont go that route again, 300 pr/gallon is a little much for clear :(

Oh and that BMW art car is kickass.