HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

Guest TeamNissan
update on the original...... YOU CAN GET SHOW QUALITY OUT OF THIS METHOD!!!! http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=47&vc=1

I wouldnt get so carried away witht he results lol. Its a fantastic way to get a cheap effective paint job BUT its FAR from show quality lol. You could go surfing on the waves in that paint.

All the sanding and polishing in the world wond replace a REAL painjob lol.

I have to admit is is interesting to see but I wouldnt even think of doing that to my own z haha.

Ya, I'm not downing it, not even a little. Just dont think it should be compared to a show quality paint job is all lol.

Check out my Walmart Special post.

I've painted show quality cars. I just like the idea that you can easily fix a rock chip or scratch and not pay 1-2k to have it proffesionally redone and blended and re buffed. Even me doing my own work, I still find it a pain in the @ss to fix a rock chip or deep scratches. If i could just break out the spray can or rustoleum and then sand it again and buff it out... That'd be incredible. Plus no clean up!

Properly prepared panels and good flat wet sanding and buffing will yield just as good results if not the same. Although they might not hold up as long.

If you want to spend the time you can get a show quality smoothness out of it. (See the pic of my hood bulge)

I got that little area to a silky smooth, flat, wave free shine but it took a LOOOONGGGG time.

I'm probably going to end up with an olive drab green rattlecan until I finish bodywork. (ie super wide aluminium fenders, big body mods, etc...)

Guest TeamNissan

Flat, smooth and shiny indeed but its still not show quality lol. This thread makes me think no ones seen a true show quality paint job.....

I'm saying again I dont think tis a bad idea at all and the reasults are awsome but its will NEVER be show quality.

:roll:

dude, are you going to continuously dog my post, your point has been made mr. professional get over it. post some pics of show quality if you will, but this is a cheap way to get things done to descent standards imo. don't take this offensively but youre quite a cocky one, all your cars must be gorgous b/c you dont want anything but perfect apparently. for us less perfect fellas and tight butts out there this is an option that suites our needs, so if you constantly keep picking at my post; i will reply. so stop being so critical..... btw i have seen show quality paint, and its a waste of money imo b/c if i did spend that kind of money i would never drive that car, and that defeats the purpose in having a car. no trailer queens here

:roll: look at my sig, now thats a show quality paint job all the way!:lmao:

Guest TeamNissan

I'm going to voice my opinion as many times and as long as I like. People keep replying to my responses and I will keep replying to thiers. Its called a conversation, and its part of what forums are all about. If you dont agree that is fine and well, but dont go trying to down me for voicing what I believe FROM EXPERIENCE to be 100% true.

Beyond that money and perfection have nothing to do with this. A show quality paint job is one thing and a cheap, TEMP. garage solution are another. Nothing wrong with either but the two should not be confused.

Idk why I keep having to say this but... There is nothing wrong with a cheap paint solution. If I was on a tight, budget and needed paint I would do it in a heart beat. That though shouldnt and will never be called a "show quality" paint job lol. Thats all I'm saying.

:shock:

voicing what I believe FROM EXPERIENCE to be 100% true.

Beyond that money and perfection have nothing to do with this.

Idk why I keep having to say this but... There is nothing wrong with a cheap paint solution. If I was on a tight, budget and needed paint I would do it in a heart beat. That though shouldnt and will never be called a "show quality" paint job lol. Thats all I'm saying.

you are 23yrs old and you have a ton of experience obviously b/c it seems you have done it all and know EVERYTHING.:shock:

money and perfections has EVERYTHING do do with this thats why peeps who do this spend LITTLE, and get BETTER results by just sanding and buffing do it, so dont voice it has nothing to do with it, b/c if you do your in the wrong thread.

what i highlighted in red up there infact is a insult to my post/opinion just like how you posted b/f, thats why i am no longer lurking the forum. If you want to go that route, you should never "insult" people to voice an OPINION :fmad:

Come on guys, keep it civil. We're talking about painting a car with a freakin roller here. If you want show quality you can spend $20K on a paint job. These are guys in their garages trying to paint a car for less than 1/100th of that cost with RUSTOLEUM. We don't need to be told that this is not the ultimate paint job. It's FREAKIN RUSTOLEUM!!! And besides, is a car show going to refuse your entry if your paint isn't perfect? Most likely not if it is the type of show that will let a Z with a V8 or other engine swap in in the first place. These are not concours d' elegance jobs we're talking about here. :lmao:

I can't wait to do this to my car and I'm really excited about the results people are getting using all sorts of cheap paints. Great stuff, very innovative. Keep up the good work. :2thumbs::cheers:

See what happens when people have to take things so literally?? Geesh..

I see plenty of home grown, less than perfect paint jobs at car shows.. and I applaud them for doing the best they can with what they have. Some of the finest cars ever built were painted with a brush and sanded smooth for many years. aka: Rolls Royce for one. Color choice and body prep are the key to getting the best result with this method.

Wow. Someone need to simma down now :mrgreen:. No need to be uptight about everything. It works for some and it doesn't for other, doesn't mean there is some clear cut answer.

Well anyways, going back to the topic. How would one get into those hard-to-reach areas with a brush. Would you just hit with a spraygun before waiting for it to cure and sand?

I think you guys are getting hung up on a phrase "show quality" It's like saying pretty or cool. Every person might interpret the word differently. As mentioned these are not concourse cars, we are guys tryn' to get our rust buckets to one color with some nice shine all while sitting in our garage/driveway. I doubt there are too many guys on this forum that actually have "show car quality" paint jobs. Kinda goes against this forums nature... we like to drive our cars here. thus in doing so you incure scratches and rock chips. These cheap paint techniques allow for easy fixes of such things... that's the beauty in them. Also... it is just paint. As scene in my walmart paint post you can take ♥♥♥♥ paint and make it look gorgeous. Show quality is mostly just the amount of clear put on and the amount of time sanding and buffing.

btw... to get in tight crevices i would use a touch up gun and spray it.

The hard to reach areas are a breeze if you pick a color that also comes in rattle can form. I rolled my pickup with flat black and sprayed all the annoying ares like door jams. I did flat black on the truck to avoid sanding altogether. It's been on for 9 months and the sun hasn't touched it yet. It is hard as nails and won't scratch off very easily. I can't wait to try "Safety blue" on my 280.