HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

...odorless paintthinner (not mineral spirits)...
If you read the posts on rustoleum carefuly, you'll note that most everybody who's done it, agrees that you NEED mineral spirits.

mamba - yea mail boxes are painted in rustoleum, and they also arent shiney and purdy ;) Most everything Ive seen turns a satin color after a while.

Mail boxes ar'nt wetsanded though. The guy who posted the explicit how to on the mopar site say that the blue beetle that he painted for his dad a few years ago is still shiny and that he even repainted a fender 3 years later and you could'nt tell wich one.

I'm in no way paint expert but that's what HE said.

If you read the posts on rustoleum carefuly, you'll note that most everybody who's done it, agrees that you NEED mineral spirits.

thought they may agree " THEY " can use whatever they would like to use

while " I " have. i repeat " HAVE " used odorless painthinner and the mineral spirits. The only difference i could see in paint was the drying time. So exscuse me if i did something different. Remember i sprayed mine as well. So maybe that caused the difference im going to try the roll on mehtod next time. Just liek when i sprayed, i will do tester pieces of sheetmetal first to see how the " thinner/spirits/acetone " in that situation. No offense intended with this post BTW just saying i have used the odorless thinner thats all.

Ron

I am SO going to do this to one of my other cars! My Z I painted in the garage and as mentioned, it was a PAIN just to set up everything. As well as telling the neighbors "I don`t know" when they asked me what that smell was!

To those who sprayed this stuff, what size nozzle did you use? I ve seen people spray auto paint with the cheapy Harbor Freight gun which has a big nozzle. I only used it for high build primer and sprayed color and clear with a name brand gun.

• 3 weeks later...

did a coat on about 3/4 of my Z last night... I am really slow with this...

roof, rear quarters, hood, rear pan (keeping my hybridZ logo)

b71469669.jpg

Right now I don't really care how good it looks...As long as it looks decent for my http://www.killboy.com "photoshoot" when I go up to the Dragon in May...

I may enter the ZdayZ car show just because...Like last year when the car looked like it was STRAIGHT out of a JY and it was in the show...

thought they may agree " THEY " can use whatever they would like to use

while " I " have. i repeat " HAVE " used odorless painthinner and the mineral spirits. The only difference i could see in paint was the drying time. So exscuse me if i did something different... No offense intended with this post BTW...

I don't want to get into a fight here but, if you mean no offense, just try to be a bit more restrained in your answers.

I'm not insulted or anything, it's just that I tried to point out that the people who developped the method, all say that only mineral spirits works best.

I was'nt trying to diminish your efforts in any way if that's how it sounded.

I know about the two tone. It was good but I wasn't really able to get the shade of red that I wanted. The black is easier to wetsand because you can see more of the texture in the paint.

One day when I get a real paint job after I build a custom lower body for the car out of aluminum it will be painted a dark, deep metallic red with some gloss black racing stripes.

When I tried mixing the regal red with black I would get this color that was like chocolate. I don't want a brown car...

If I had mixed safety red with black I think I would have gotten a better red that I was looking for. Right now I only care that it looks good from 50+ feet away.

I don't want to get into a fight here but, if you mean no offense, just try to be a bit more restrained in your answers.

I'm not insulted or anything, it's just that I tried to point out that the people who developped the method, all say that only mineral spirits works best.

I was'nt trying to diminish you in any way if that's how it sounded.

soory aelxideways,

i owe you a public apology on that one.

It was a really rough day at work one of the enginers jacked into my desk (the night before) somehow and when i strolled in to the shop guess what? theres my project all prettied up ( was a rough outline and print), and this guy got all the recognition for it. Anywho all thats been smoothed out now and dude got put on 3 months suspension for his vile thievery.

So just to clarify , I was in the wrong on my response and i am quite sorry.

May the harmony among this board stay forever :)

ron

P>S> Oh and otm Lookin good bud, talkin the wife into the zday thing now too. Not goin so good but the battles not over yet!

here are my attempts of rolling paint on a spare door. however rolling it on really doesn't have much to do with it, except its easy and safe, how well it turns up really comes down to how much you can be bothered, which i see as a good thing, as if i can b bothered later on, i could go and fix up a panel a bit more etc. i accidently damanged the door after i'd put a few good coats on, and in my rush/excitement to get some good cut and polish, and pads, i only put one coat over the top of the black rust paint i put down, hence why you can see it coming through.

reflections_183.jpg

paint_looking_aquaish_186.jpg

the paint is brightside's "largo blue" (AU$50 per litre), the aim was to get something similar to laguna seca blue, and i think this will do, i just need to commit to the colour, and actully paiting over my sexy orginal green, which looks fine from this angle, but every panal except this one has something wrong with it (actully this one has small rust repairs visible under the fuel cap, so thats a lie) i guess i can always get it sprayed again in the green as it kind of needs it anyway.

green.jpg

• 3 weeks later...