HybridZ

Help choosing a welder 220v/110v?

240zV8

I went to Lowes and bought a dryer cord that matched the outlet, and a female end that matched the welder and made a jumper/adapter. This also allows me to move the welder a little bit as most of the welders I have owned have short power leads. Figure on spending about 15-20 bucks and killing 2 birds with one stone.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Lowes today and checked out the electrical section. Looks like I can make a extension cord for around $1.20 per foot. Plus a 3 dollar plug on each end.

dr_hunt, can I just replace the stock plug the welder comes with and wire up one to match my black dryer outlet?

"Help choosing a welder 220v/110v?"

thats SIMPLE ....there are NO 110 Volt welders

that will do as good a job as the better 220Volt welders will over nearly as wide a range of conditions!

and having at least a 180 amp rating will allow most automotive work to be done.

now Ive used a bunch of welders and while Im certainly not a pro at welding, I think youll be served well with a miller 180, personally I prefer TIG welders,and oxy-acetolene welders they are both slow but produce great quality welds if youve developed some skill in thier use.

I went to Lowes today and checked out the electrical section. Looks like I can make a extension cord for around $1.20 per foot. Plus a 3 dollar plug on each end.

dr_hunt, can I just replace the stock plug the welder comes with and wire up one to match my black dryer outlet?

Yes!

with a sylvania pannel i would suggest looking at a service change. this will give you better breakers and better grounding to your house. Also as a side note when you get a quote dont say you want to save the breakers but tell the guys that come out around here the single pole breakers go for like 9 bucks a pop and the two poles go for around 15 ish so find a used breaker supplier there to sell them to youll make money just my .02

with a sylvania pannel i would suggest looking at a service change. this will give you better breakers and better grounding to your house. Also as a side note when you get a quote dont say you want to save the breakers but tell the guys that come out around here the single pole breakers go for like 9 bucks a pop and the two poles go for around 15 ish so find a used breaker supplier there to sell them to youll make money just my .02

It will be fine, the previous owner who built the house welded alot, so it's all setup, I just have to get the right plug.

yea its fine just when you get ahead is all that i ment no dire need if it was an fpe id tell you to worry

I think you were right. We called the previous owner of the house, and he said the 250v 50amp line didn't meet code when the inspector came, so it's disconnected (somthing about it being below the breaker?). What should I do? How much should it be to have a new breaker installed so I can have a 230v welder? I could probably do the work if I made sure the electricity was off. lol. Should I just get an electrician for a quote? thats a bummer, i thought it was all setup.

ok here is the thing its really messed up but call an electrician out and ask them what them would do to fix it they will get you close and with pictures i could get you closer and a discription of what they say get a smaller company or they wont help as much as you need them to ask them whats wrong with the current setup and let me know ill send you my e-mail addy

I was looking at the specs for the mm135, and it says it draws MORE amps than the 175. the 175 draws 19.5, and the 135 draws the full 20 amps... So how could I run a 135 on a normal house outlet that has a 20 amp breaker? It wouldn't be any more portable than the 175, unless u have a 30 amp circuit on all your normal outlets. Can anyone clear that up?

The lower the voltage, the higher the Amp need, the 220V. unit will pay for itself in the long run trough less curent draw thus, lower electricity bill.

Just take a look at what car companies are developing, 48V. systems, to be able to reduce the size of the wires because they'll have less Amps to handle.

Cause with all the electronics in cars today, dragging around 500 milles of copper wire tends to make thing heavier than need be. My 0,02$.

edit: Well, I got hold of a electrician and the previous owner of the house, and the only reason the plug didn't meet code was because it wasn't mounted in the wall. It's all hooked up now, and I just talked to the guy at the welder supply and he said a 50amp breaker is fine because the welder itself has a overload protection, even with a long extension cord it will be fine. So that relieved alot of stress, now I can go pick up the mm175 and burn some metal :-D

here's the setup now, it's all hooked up and ready to be turned on.

im000764dh9.jpg