HybridZ

Help choosing a welder 220v/110v?

240zV8

I've read alot about the welders on the market, and the threads here about them. I've narrowed it down to a MM175, Hobart 180, Hobart 175, or maybe a mm135. I want to be able to weld 1/4" steel for things like hydraulics, and also be able to weld sheetmetal. Can a mm135 weld thick metal safely with a couple passes? I would love to have a 110v welder like the mm135 or hobart 140 so that I could take it anywhere and use it. But I want to be able to weld anything I might need. I'm going to spend around $800-$900, and that includes welder, helmet, 80 gas/cylinder, tools, wire etc...

which one of these would you buy if you were getting a welder

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Miller-Millermatic-175-MIG-Welder-p-n-MIL-907020_W0QQitemZ300057661599QQihZ020QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-Handler-180-Mig-Welder-REC-500501_W0QQitemZ220056960323QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-Handler-180-Mig-Welder-NEW-500501_W0QQitemZ220058615314QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-Handler-175-Model-500416-Welder-MIG-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ200052369087QQihZ010QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-140-MIG-WELDER-60-CU-FT-CYLINDER_W0QQitemZ280056314210QQihZ018QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Miller-Millermatic-135-MIG-Welder-MIL-907019_W0QQitemZ300057699938QQihZ020QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, These are two plugs I have in my garage one is 250v 50amp, the other is 250v 20amp, I think I'll have to find a plug to match and wire it to the welder to fit one of these if I get a 220v welder right?

250v 50amp

im000748dd6.jpg

250v 20amp

im000749os1.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would (and did) go with the Millermatic 175. I test drove a few welders and found that the 220v just welded better. It struck a more consistent arc, and when welding thicker stuff it really had the heat to do a good job. With the infinite voltage control, I have welded as thin as 24ga with it and as thick as 1/4''. It works like a champ.

The 110v welder could do 1/4 inch if you properly prepare your joint (make a 45 degree bevel at the edge to thin it to about 1/8'' and weld in two passes).

As for plugs, The MM 175 uses a plug like the second picture above. I'm not sure if a 20A breaker is going to cut it though. I'm running mine on a 40A breaker.

Good luck!

My instinct was to get the mm175. My neighbor has one and he's a mechanic and builds offroad trucks now since he's retired, so it must do the job. $715 for a mm175 is about as good as i've found, unless you guys know a better deal somewhere?

How do I change the 20 amp breaker to a 40 amp? Isn't that second plug rated for 20amps for a reason, if I just change the breaker wouldn't the wires still be rated for 20 amps and fry?

I have an MM175 and love it. at max it will pull 19.1 amps, so you should have it on a 30 amp circuit as a minimum. This is of courswe if you are going to use it at full caqoacity, which 1/4" is.

You definitely don't want to upgrade the breaker on the 20 amp circuit because more than likely, the wiring is too small to carry the load and will present a fire hazard. I haven'r run across an electrical contractor yet who will massively over-wire a circuit just in case someone might be dumb enough to put in a larger breaker....

The type of plug doesn't really tell you how much amperage the circuit is rated for. In a perfect world it should, but people take short cuts.

Find the breakers that control the two plugs you showed. They should have separate breakers since all 220V outlets need a dedicated breaker each. That should tell you what amperage that circuit will handle. Keep in mind the amperage rating of a circuit is determined by the size of the wire and not type of outlet. If you need a bigger breaker, you may need bigger wire.

You can alway change out the plug outlet to match you welder, but make absolutely sure the wiring matches the breaker size.

Also you shouldn't have to up size the breakers. The MM175 in the first link says it only needs 19.5 amps of line current. If that is accurate, you should be good to go with only a 20 amp circuit. Go to the Miller web site and pull up the owners manual for that particular unit to see what it recommends. But couldn't hurt to go 30 amp. A 30 amp circuit needs 10 guage wire.

That being said, unless you are planing on taking the welder to a buddy's garage, get the 220V unit. They draw much less line current and won't dim your house lights like a 110V unit can.

I would (and did) go with the Millermatic 175. I test drove a few welders and found that the 220v just welded better. It struck a more consistent arc, and when welding thicker stuff it really had the heat to do a good job. With the infinite voltage control, I have welded as thin as 24ga with it and as thick as 1/4''. It works like a champ.

The 110v welder could do 1/4 inch if you properly prepare your joint (make a 45 degree bevel at the edge to thin it to about 1/8'' and weld in two passes).

As for plugs, The MM 175 uses a plug like the second picture above. I'm not sure if a 20A breaker is going to cut it though. I'm running mine on a 40A breaker.

Good luck!

times two!

got mine here: http://store.weldersplus.com/mil907020.html

chris

The NEMA 6-50 plug is kind of a standard for 220 welders. All the welders in my shop are wired for that. Check the wiring behind the plug to be sure its up to a 50 amp load (to match the plug). I would be surprised if any wiring in a home is big enough for that kind of load.

I can't read any of the appliances our breaker is wired for because the writing is all faded. Here's a picture of the 50 amp and 30 amp breakers, the rest are all 20... I guess i'll have to try to figure out how to make the 250v 50amp black plug to work with the welder's plug.

im000750vi9.jpg

Wow, your house is as old as mine, judging from those breakers.

Anyway, I have a 250Amp mig and I can tell you it's like winkie's, bigger is better, I don't car how well you can use your little unit, it just doesn't get the job done on the thicker material.

Sans the mig, get the HTP 200 amp TIG instead! :D

You don't need more than 20 amps for the welders you are looking at.

Just go to Homers and get a receptacle that matches the plug on the welder.

I have a 50 amp plug receptacle on my 30 amp welder circuit. As long as the breaker is matched to the wiring size you are safe. Just don't go the other way around.

I think this house was built in 82' or so dr_hunt. I know for a fact the black receptacle has big enough wire, so it think I'll just change the receptacle on that one to match the welder.

How much should a nice length (25'+) extension cord cost for a 220v welder? It needs to be 10 gage right?

You might want to check your local codes as pertains to wiring. Most localities want to have a 25% margin on the size of wire/breaker vs load.

In my case the inspector said for a 19.x max load, I needed a 30 amp circuit. That was wiring to carry 30 amps and a 30 amp breaker.

I talked to an inspector for a few circuits I wanted to add going to my garage and in my basement for welding, compressor and a freezer and an extra 120v for the garage, then got a permit. All he had to do was come back when I was ready to hook power up to the receptacles.

We had some spare wire sitting here, it's the same wire that the black 250v 50amp receptacle uses. Do they make a receptacle that i can wire to this size wire for the mm175 plug? That way i can just take that big black dryer outlet off and replace it with one that will fit the welder, right?

im000751vq3.jpg