HybridZ

Its Alive!!!!!!!

Fired it up for the first time last night. I'll post video when I have time. I didn't take it out because of the snow, but every thing works except the tach. Johns recalibrated it for me and I hooked it up to the tach lead from the ECM but I get nothing. Any thoughts? I tried searching already but can't find what I need.

Buy the way it sounds AWESOME.

Thanks to everyone here for all your help so far-you guys are way cool!

Mike

Fired it up for the first time last night. I'll post video when I have time. I didn't take it out because of the snow, but every thing works except the tach. Johns recalibrated it for me and I hooked it up to the tach lead from the ECM but I get nothing. Any thoughts? I tried searching already but can't find what I need.

Buy the way it sounds AWESOME.

Mike

Hi,

We could'nt make it work either.I have mine hooked up to a coil and I'm not getting proper reading...

• Administrators

First off, congrats on getting it running. Now if only the snow would melt…

As for your tach issue. I’m not sure if this has any relevance to your situation, just though I’d throw it out in case

I have had issues getting the OE ’78 tachs to work with HEI ignitions with the traditional small block V-8 Z conversions, (well only two ’78 tachs), and both of those ’78 tachs worked perfectly in L-6 cars, just not with the HEI for some reason. I then tried a few other tachs a ’75 and a ’77 and those worked fine with the V-8 swap.

First off, congrats on getting it running. Now if only the snow would melt…

As for your tach issue. I’m not sure if this has any relevance to your situation, just though I’d throw it out in case

I have had issues getting the OE ’78 tachs to work with HEI ignitions with the traditional small block V-8 Z conversions, (well only two ’78 tachs), and both of those ’78 tachs worked perfectly in L-6 cars, just not with the HEI for some reason. I then tried a few other tachs a ’75 and a ’77 and those worked fine with the V-8 swap.

Paul- thanks for that idea, I'll try to borrow one of the earlier tachs next week.

Any other ideas out there?

Mike

Congratulations, sounds like itll be a fun car, I bet It felt great! Im over in spokane and weve got about a foot of snow cant wait for it to melt and I can get my car running to.

How much snow do you have?[/quote

Only a couple of inches, just enough to make the roads slick and wet, and the Z is clean.

This may be common knowledge for those of fus who read the JTR manual, but they mention using a 1/2 watt 15K ohm resistor on the tach wire to make it work when using an HEI distributor. It said something in the book about the tach needle just bouncing around all over the place with out it. Congrats on the start up though...I'll be starting mine for the first time in a few days.

Seann

First off congrats!!! Looks like a yellow version of Ulises's. Yes, thats a compliment!!! As for your tach issues. I too had problems with my tach after John's converted it. Make sure it's hooked up properly. Pin 10 (solid white wire) red connector with an LS1 ecu. LS2, not sure, p.m. Mike. There is a small hole in the back of the tach, that you can put a small flat blade screw driver in. Rotate the small rheostat with the motor running and see if your tach comes to life!

JOEY

This may be common knowledge for those of fus who read the JTR manual, but they mention using a 1/2 watt 15K ohm resistor on the tach wire to make it work when using an HEI distributor. It said something in the book about the tach needle just bouncing around all over the place with out it. Congrats on the start up though...I'll be starting mine for the first time in a few days.

Seann

Yeah, I read about that but as I am not using an HEI or any other distributor, I don't know if that will apply here, I have been told not. And I am not getting any needle movement at all.

Thanks,

Mike

First off congrats!!! Looks like a yellow version of Ulises's. Yes, thats a compliment!!! As for your tach issues. I too had problems with my tach after John's converted it. Make sure it's hooked up properly. Pin 10 (solid white wire) red connector with an LS1 ecu. LS2, not sure, p.m. Mike. There is a small hole in the back of the tach, that you can put a small flat blade screw driver in. Rotate the small rheostat with the motor running and see if your tach comes to life!

JOEY

Joey,

Thanks, and I do know that is a fine compiment. Sergio and Mike have been tons of help with this project as well as many others on this site. I have the helms manuals for the donor and we are using the wire listed although the stripe on the wire (as Mike had already let me know) is not listed in the book. I called John's yesterday and although they were closed for the week, John called me back immediately! He is going to talk to his tach guy and see if he has any ideas. If I find anything else out I will post. In the mean time if anyone else has the fix, I'm listening.

Mike