HybridZ

new orleans

David K

The less glamourous parts of New Orleans are still ignored. I met some of the nicest people while walking through the 9th ward. There was a man weed wacking around a house who put down his tools and walked out to the front yard to talk to me when i walked by. He was telling me he wasnt in the area when the hurricane hit, and the house was his mothers and fathers before they died years ago. He doesnt have the money to repair it, but he cant let it go. Its like this throughout the entire 9th ward and other places throughout the south that suffered damage from the hurricane. No matter what you hear or read through the media, these people arent being helped.

no1.jpg

no2.jpg

no3.jpg

no4.jpg

no5.jpg

no6.jpg

no7.jpg

I spent over 2 hours on the street corner talking to this man named Mike. This was in a heavy black neighborhood right outside the French Quarter. So many people in America stereotype these people, but nobody hassled me even though i had a couple of grand of photo equipment hanging on my body. These people are people just like you and i alike. So many horrible stories down in the south, but such great people.

no8.jpg

Sad truth, but reality.

very interesting pics. i'm sure there are thousands of stories like mikes. every city has its problems but you are correct, lots of nice, hard working people in new orleans trying to get on their feet. more pics please!! thanks.... p.s.. i am about 120 miles from N.O. and was not effected by the storm.

I agree this could push the rules of HZ, but honestly I think this is something that shouldn't be ignored. If the mods don't agree with that sentiment, then I'll gladly stand behind them. This is their site and they're God here simple as that.

But I know many people trying to do good things down south in areas that are still far from repaired. The stories are heart breaking, and it seems that good people just don't see the need so they don't give what they have.

I won't state what I think the problem is, because I don't want to turn this post into anything threatening to anyone. But I'll say this: What happens when the good people in the world stand by and do nothing? I'm not saying nothing is being done, but I know that more can always be done. We live it one of the world's wealthiest nations, and I'll leave it at that.

I dont see a problem with sharing the truth. As long as people dont substitute fact with their own opinion, this thread should be ok. The fact is not much is being done to help these people, no matter what agency/political party is running the show :)

I live in California. Id like to think the nation will care about my family and all my neighbors when we have a major earthquake.

I'm utterly disgusted and disturbed by this. I really had no idea things were still in such disrepair in New Orleans. I thought steps had been taken to help the families and property down there. Where's all that damned relief money? Where's all the "Help Katrina Victims" money that was collected? Of course when all this began where's all the money the state has been given for years just for this type of situation? After the hurricane the govenor immediately went after FEMA and everything else to get money, because they blew the disaster funds on other non essential state projects. Now the people of New Orleans are suffering for it. My Aunt and her church group have constant relief work groups going down there to help every 6 months. Wish I could be apart of it.

Actually NAviathan, That's where it gets murkey... As I understand it, The Governor and the Mayor both sat on their haunches in panic and DIDn'T call in FEMA or ask for federal aid. That was the issue. NORMALLY in a disaster such as this, As it unfolds, the governor/governors of the state/states impacted would claim the areas impacted as disaster areas and IMMEDIATELY ask for federal funding. We see it all the time when Hurricane season kicks up the east coast tossing all the Atlantic coast states and tearing up beach resorts as it happens.

However, THIS DID NOT HAPPEN in this particular case. Everyone at the federal level waited for the governor to step up and ask for the assistance. It never came. Finally, after widespread complaints that the federal gov't should do something, they did. But they were originally following the protocal established by federal and state guidelines. FEMA and others have really taken heat over this one, and I can understand the frustration. However, the state and local authorities really set off what turned out to be a horrific disaster AFTER the storm.

Mike

Ok, as I was aware the governor went straight to FEMA and the federal government asking for funds because they had none. The money that was given to the state intended for disaster relief was proportioned out to different state projects. I know that in NC when a hurricane hits they almost immediately declare a national disaster area, but we also have plenty of relief funding within the state because of these incidences. I can't see the problems in New Orleans being anything more than a state problem. Once the disaster was over and FEMA had done their job the state cleanup effort should have taken over. Where is the state's effort in this?

The fact is not much is being done to help these people, no matter what agency/political party is running the show :).

Well, no, unfortunately this is not a fact. In fact, your statement is quite untrue. The fact is we will spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 BILLION to 300 BILLION dollars cleaning up after Katrina. That is more than the cost of Iraq and Afganistan combined.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9281409/

You heart is in the right place but you need to do a little research.

Disaster relief spending is absolutely out of control in this country. Look up the trend in disaster declarations in the last half century. The fact is there is only so much more we can afford to do. Reality sucks sometimes, but this is simply not the governments problem to solve.

Spending may be out of control but isn't it funny that the coastal areas and the rich inhabited mudslide prone always seem the quickest to be rebuilt at taxpayers expense? We can flood foreign soil with funds and soldiers but we still have Katrina victims without homes/jobs.... Yet the Saints have the Superdome!? I understand the need to get jobs going again but I wonder had this been a wealthier social climate would things have been handled much differently..?

You need to remember that the situation in New Orleans is unique. One of the big differneces between this disaster and others is that many of the people that lived in NO were shipped to other areas and never went back. A lot of the houses in those pictures belong to people that are gone and do not intend to return. There is no one that has an intrest in seeing it rebuilt or to push the cleanup process along.

In other areas, after a huricane they rebuild and live in their house again - or rebuild, sell and then move.

I think (opinion time!!) a unique solution needs to be tried. The state needs to step up - buy everyone out - bulldoze everything and start over and then resell the property to people that want to live there.