HybridZ

VG30DETT into datsun z kit

G.I.jonas

Hey i just joined the site and have been reading up on some crazy #$%^ some of you guys are up to.I own a small speed shop in maine and am totaly all about z cars.I currently have a vg30dett installed into my 78 280z and im trying to find out just how much interest there is in this conversion,mainly because i am considering producing a kit for people who want to do the same.I am an excellent welder and i know my math,i have not finished the project by any means but the engine is in and it looks great,i really must say that the fitment is no where near as tricky as some say,in fact it fits far better than the engine does in the car it came from lol.If anyone is interested let me know,also i would like to hear from anyone doing this or that has done it.:-)

Sure i'll get some pics on,oh wait i'm new here can i do that yet?,any way i'll do so if i can.But i guess as far as people copying i think the pics will provide more than enough info(but i'm not a dick so whatever).However i think a lot of people would like to do the swap but are not avid welders,even though they would have to have someone weld in my mounts or do it themselves.Like i said i have the engine in and have the trans mount done as well as making clearance for the starter.I think sthe next step is going to be fabing a passenger side downpipe as the stock dump is angled in a bad way for fitment in a z....oh man i can go on for hours,good to see people already replied?? that was quick,any way i'll be back.

• 2 weeks later...

I see you are familier with Mark Rolston's car... Pertty ain't it? You make a kit to put a vg30dett into a 240z and you'll get my business. I went to Mark's website and he said he had that dett putting out 700hp... I think that was him... my bad if it isn't. How much structural mods are going to be included in this kit?

Oh yeah... interesting thing about Mark Rolston's car... I called the autobody shop he had do his flares... He told me he could install a custom set of flares for a meer 12 grand... thats right 12 grand. How do you get $12,000 into 4 fiberglass flares and a few hours of installation?

I do like marks car but like you are saying i think it is really the product of alot of money and not much ingenuity.$#% 12,000 i could do that in my sleep in my garage for like $600.Not only could but have been planning to for a long time.Ive worked in body shops and i know custom work is expensive but 12k is absolutely rediculous for sure,ask someone else lol.As far as his engine,i thought he had an rb,not sure though.

Yeah i agree, 12k is total bull. The only reason i called him was because he has the molds. he told me he could make the flares himself and ship them to me for 2k per fender. If he spent 3 hours making them and putting them on the car he would be getting $1000 per hour. what ever happened to making an honest living? and not #$%^&* people over because your the only one that has the part!

:shock: OMFG!!!!!! $2000 a fender,you can get nearly identicle fg flares that can be blended into the car for like $350(for all 4).Or order a vr engineering widebody kit thats like $1200.Man this guy is way to proud of his stuff,or just an outright ripoff,although i cant imagine hes ripping off too many people....WOW!!! Can you say freakin BS?????

P.S. whats his #,i think i would like to call and see what the hell is up with that,and maybe slur them a bit