HybridZ

California Historical plates

EMWHYR0HEN

It's time for me to renew my registration and I was thinking about getting some California historical vehicle plates instead of some custom plate.

looks quite unique.

plate.jpg

I know the 240Z qulifies for the plate, but the thing that concerns me is that I guess the car is to be used for shows or events. The thing is my car is kind of my daily driver and im wondering if i'll get busted for just driving it for other purposes other than events.

Can anyone with these plates give me some info?

heres a link thats useful:

http://www.portata.com/panteraadventure/historical_license_plates.htm

I have thought about the plates too and it may come to that if the smog Nazis keep getting more pushy. It would be good insurance, especially if the car has another motor other than an L6.

I would personally take the word "exhibition" from the paragraph below as meaning "Yes-I-want-people-to-look-at-and-admire-my-car." For me that qualifies driving the car around to make me feel good and have people watch me smoke 'em.

That said, I seriously doubt the police will interfere with a "race car" that has historical plates on it. I think of it as 'police repellent.' (No offense to our members who work in law enforcement).

I find the paragraph below intriguing enough to make me look into it further. There is no way I want to be pulled over for going over the speed limit and then having an officer make me take the car down to the referee station for a "check up" just because the car doesn't look or sound stock (which it is not :mrgreen: ).

"There are no mileage restrictions or stock modification restrictions as far as I can tell. The second page of DMV Form 17a states that vehicles may only be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities. However, the California vehicle code states in Division 3, Article 8, section 5004, paragraph F that a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities. I assume that the vehicle code overrides the statement on the form."

I also assume (ouch) that the vehicle code overrides Form 17a.

Note to all: I've been known to be wrong before!!!

Davy

I recently talked to someone who had their car registed as a historical and he said that his registration and insurance became cheaper.

I live in an area where police are itchy to pull over modded cars, that said I think it would be nice to drive past a cop in my car worry free knowing that I have plates that say " you cant touch me", well sort of, lol.

I'm interested in this as well, but I don't want to get in trouble for driving it for puposes other than "historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities". On the other hand it sure would be nice to not have to worry about getting sent to an inspection station.

I think Owen is running these plates on his Z.

Yeah I would like to get these also. I was pulled over when my Z was running for "Loud Exhaust" . I was not going to change my muffler so I just decided to pay the Ticket without inspection about $200. So my question is this, how much would the ticket cost you for not driving my car to a event? How would they even know?

-JOse

You know, there's quite a few Z's on there that could qualify for an SB100, which is even better IMO.

Obviously the GTO replica cars, but in theory any "highly modified" looking vehicle can be re-registered as a "custom made vehicle" with a new VIN and plate registered as a SB100 vehicle. The terms the DMV uses are subjective, as such DMV states that any vehicle that isn't a "replica" of any car and is just "custom" gets registered as 65'. The beauty is that you can have any engine in there when you go to the ref. He'll make your engine code and voila (as long as it was a USDM motor, there's still no way from them to make a label legally for a RB or other JDM motors).

Just thought I'd share.

Yeah I would like to get these also. I was pulled over when my Z was running for "Loud Exhaust" ... So my question is this, how much would the ticket cost you for not driving my car to a event? How would they even know?

Bingo! A "club" event is driving over to your buddies house who also owns a classic car...

Also, what kind of "proof" could they possibly ask for???? "Yeah man, here's a flier for the Good Guy's car show..." RIGHT!

I live in an area where police are itchy to pull over modded cars, that said I think it would be nice to drive past a cop in my car worry free knowing that I have plates that say " you cant touch me", well sort of, lol.

I think the same way you do ;)

Davy

• 2 months later...

I was at the DMV a while ago renewing my registration and I wanted to know how much they'd charge me for the Historical plates. I gave them my old plates along with $18 bucks and within 2 weeks my my plates came in.

Ive been driving with them for a few weeks now and Ive had a few police officers on my tail a couple of times now and all is good.

Also, my buddies brother is a CHP officer and I gave him a little visit to ask him questions about my plates. He told me in his eyes the plates are just like custom plates. As long as it has registration stickers it's clear to drive on the road.

just thought I'd share with you Californians who are thinking of getting the plates.

P1020962.JPG

THANKS emwhyrohen,

I was thinking the sameting. I aslo wanted to get those plate for my 240z. Is it realy that simple to just go to the dmv and request them?? surly i thought it would be more difficult. If this is true I'll be at the DMV's on monday morning!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Also, my buddies brother is a CHP officer and I gave him a little visit to ask him questions about my plates. He told me in his eyes the plates are just like custom plates. As long as it has registration stickers it's clear to drive on the road.

Nice looking car.

So your CHP pal makes it sound like the historical plates are nothing more than a personalized touch. It would be fantastic if the plate gave the car a certain leiniency from thje police here in CA. Lord knows we can use all the help we can get (with drivetrain swaps especially).

Im curious to learn more about these custom vehicle plates. I have been told by more than one person that they DO give a buffer for a would-be ticketing officer, but I have no proof of the fact.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Question,

I am going down in the morning to try and get my plates swapped over to Historical.

I have a ZXR, with enough documenation to make a case if needed.

Besides my registration is there anything else I will need?

• 5 months later...

I've had the California Historic Plates for well over 10 years - not on my 1971 204Z but on my 1970 Porsche. I did it mainly to beat the SMOG test requirement at the time. For a while I ran it as my daily driver and never had a problem, although I was always paranoid that the same cop might see me day after day at around the same time. Had I been stopped, I was ready to say that I was mapping a route for an upcoming car club road rally. Go for the plates!

I think the car has to be smog exempt to qualify for the plates.

I'm not quite so sure about that. The 17A form only states "made after 1922 and more than 25 years old"

If they wanted it to be post smog they'd say "older than 1975".

I'm really considering it now that my car is a test only vehicle. So i'm gonna legailise my swap to just get it registered, and then i'll be looking into getting the plates changed over. Hopefully even if they DO make me smog it I'll have the choice to go to who I want, and not force me into a test only.