HybridZ

Best quality fiberglass front bumper for a 1973 240-Z

Tengu3

Howdy Gents and Ladies,

I'm hoping there are some ladies here, too.

Can those of you with experience with the MSA fiberglass front bumper please tell me ahead of time what the quality of it is like? I'll be fitting it to a 1973 240-Z, which the MSA site says will take some adapting.

Is MSA the only show in town when it comes to a fiberglass front bumper? Is there anyone offering a better one?

I've got a 1973 240-Z in gorgeous shape and I found a body/paint guy who, thank god, is a stickler for quality. So I'm confident of a good result, but I want to start with the best pieces I can to help that happen.

I'm going without a rear bumper, and want to balance the look with a close-fit fiberglass frontbumper. The photos at the MSA web site and in their catalog for their products often aren't very clear, but I've seen plenty of great looking fiberglass front bumpers on Z cars, and presume they come from MSA.

I did a search for this topic before posting, and read what I could find, so I hope I'm not repeating too closely anything that's been covered already.

Help is much appreciated.

James

Thanks for the help, guys.

I guess as long as there's no other source for them other than MSA, quality is a bit of a moot point. Good, bad or otherwise, what'cha gonna do?

But I'm glad to hear the reviews seem to range from, "Very Good", to "Minor problems" at worst. That's still pretty darned good!

I'm calling them today and putting in my order. I hope they've got stock.

James

• 1 month later...

I've found some decent info on bumper swaps involving 240 bumpers on 280s, but haven't seen a lot of info on fiberglass bumpers on 280s. Obviously, the mounting methodology should be the same if the fiber bumpers are designed to be direct bolt-ons for the 240; but I was wondering if anyone had experience and photos.

I bought their prototypes when they were doing development work on them, and even those are fine.

The production pieces are better, and have proper brackets. But I'm cheap. Hey, I got mine for $5 at the 'scratch and dent sale' so I'm not complaining.

For the cost I paid, I could rate them 'outstanding'...LOL

• 1 month later...

I have a fiberglass front bumper on my 280Z. I got it from Showcars which I DO NOT recommend. The quality was horrible and I basically had to do a lot of rework on the bumper to make it look decent. I also had to glass in mounting brackets since there were no provisions for them on the bumper when I got it. I made a curved 1/8" piece of aluminum with stand-offs for mounts and glassed it inside the bumper. I then made brackets to bolt onto the stock 280Z bumper mounts. I also added studs at each end to go though the fender in the stock locations. I'm sure it is totally useless for protection but looks much nicer than that ugly 280Z bumper. I am pleased with it now but would not buy anything from Showcars again.

bumper-lights3.jpg

Deja dont you have a 2+2, could you post some pics with the rear bumper on it you have one?

Good God no, LOL. I really don't like the 2+2, just my opinion. My rear bumper is still stock 280Z but I bought a 240Z one I plan on using when I get the beast back on the road. I removed the stock one, its shocks and supports when I pulled the old gas tank out so I'm committed to using something else. However the 240Z one I bought needs work so we'll see if I can use it.

When I got my bumpers from MSA they had big scratches and inperfections/edges from the mold. Most I can just sand down or grind off.

Good God no, LOL. I really don't like the 2+2, just my opinion.

Yeah most people dont but I think thats because not many people restore them to look good. And the people that do dont really show them much.

Is your car the stock 306 silver?

When I got my bumpers from MSA they had big scratches and inperfections/edges from the mold. Most I can just sand down or grind off.

Yeah most people dont but I think thats because not many people restore them to look good. And the people that do dont really show them much.

Is your car the stock 306 silver?

Its just personal opinion for me. The 2+2 was built for marketing because sales were dropping on the 2 passenger car, baby boomers were having kids, LOL. I don't think it works very well with the basic design of the original car.

My car was painted when I bought it so I don't know if the paint is Datsun or not. I've use Honda satin silver met NH623M touch up to repair some chips, its very close. The original color was 306.

eh, maybe soon i'll sway your opinion on a 2+2. im going to build mine with xenon style front fascia, 240/260 bumpers(its a 280), ZG flares, fender mirrors, BRE style spoiler and watanabe rs-8...its what everyone does to their coupe but im doing a 2+2. im thinkin it will look just as good, with the little extra length it will make the Z look totally different.

eh, maybe soon i'll sway your opinion on a 2+2. im going to build mine with xenon style front fascia, 240/260 bumpers(its a 280), ZG flares, fender mirrors, BRE style spoiler and watanabe rs-8...its what everyone does to their coupe but im doing a 2+2. im thinkin it will look just as good, with the little extra length it will make the Z look totally different.

Thats pretty close to what I have planned. Ive got the air dam and bumpers and will probably get a bre style spoiler too but Im planning on rewinds.

Yeah everyone has coupes, 2+2 are different and still look good. (with modifications)

yea in my head im thinking the 2+2 will actually make the car look lower and sleeker because of the flatter surfaces and not as much roundness on the back end, and as i messed up in the other thread im planning on getting the watanabe r type and not the RS-8 in the ZG flare sizes.(16x8.5/9 -13 and 16x9.5 -19)