HybridZ

Re-chrome 240z bumpers quote.

Today I went to get a quote to get my 1971 240z front and rear bumpers re-chrome and to fill all the holes were the rubbers bolt too. the front bumper was cracked and it was bent. So he quote me for $250 a piece so $500 for the 2 he said he'll have them in 2 to 3 weeks.. I'll post pics when I get them back.

Is that a good price?

The shop is called CLASSIC AUTO MOLDING FINISHING in Balwin Park,CA (626)814-0811

Ouch!

There is a place here in Phx. on Washington called Papago Plating that quoted me $150.00 for each bumper.

Front or rear, and that included any hole filling or whatnot.

They are pretty well known around here for Quality work too.

I had them do a bike frame for me about 10 years ago and it was

beautiful when done.

Sounds like the places around you guys are a little high.

Mike.

I had all the chrome on my 55 done here in CA (Verne's) and it cost $1000.00

That was for a lot of chrome:

front bumper: 6 pieces

trim under the headlamps: 2 pieces

hood leading edge trim: 1 piece

Headlight trim rings: 2 pieces

Hood wings: 1 piece

Rear Bumper: 3 pieces

As you can see, a lot of chrome to do, and the pieces were not in good shape to begin with.

FrontFull.jpg

RearFull.jpg

I am going with black chrome and it is going to be around the same price

Please be aware that while black chrome or midnight chrome is great looking, it is much more susceptible to scratches that regular chrome. Back when I was building my custom rod plymouth I had gone to several local chrome shops to get quotes on having my bumpers and trim midnight chromed. I was told that while they would chrome them for me, they could not guarantee that would survive the first wash without serious scratching...regardless of how I washed them...basically as soon as you try and wipe them down, bump against them, or remove water marks...scratches would be the result.

chrome powedercoat is a very nice alternative, it is a bit shiner than polished aluminum, but a tad duller than chrome, but the good news is that because its paint itll never pit, flake or come off, just treat it like paint. price wise it should only run in the $200 range max.

• 3 weeks later...