HybridZ

about to put in bedliner in interior but...

Ansel Marrow

...I need to fill in a few holes. Theres one near where the seatbelt bolts in, and a small area of rust that I cut out in the passenger side floorboard, that I bolted in a new peice of steel. I was considering using caulk, or silicone to seal it up watertight, then using the herculiner.

Would the herculiner be enough to seal it? or would it be better off if I used the silicone or some other sealant?

I missed the "bolted in" part. If you do not own a welder or can't get access to one, use pop rivets. It's not the best, but it works. They also make a very good epoxy that bonds metal just as strong as welding but you have to be able to clamp it for several hours.

Either way, remember to undercoat the area. Water, condensation, and dirt can get into the smallest of areas and cause big trouble later on.

I tried pop rivets. Maybe in stil new to them, but it felt kinda loose when I used them. thus, I went with small bolts, and it holds down really well.

Ill try jb weld tonight, and if I cant find any, ill go with the panel bond. After the bedliner and the carpet on top, no one will notice im sure. Im still treating the inside minor spots with ospho, and cleaning the whole interior with acetone, then ill do the jb weld then bedliner.

how well does herculiner/bedliner sound insulate the car? really well or sortof well? I spent 2 hours taking up that crappy old insulation, so Im wondering if i will lose insulation after i add i nthe bedliner becuase i removed it.

how well does herculiner/bedliner sound insulate the car?

I'm sure it does something similar to the old crusty tar patches that you scraped out of the car. If it doesn't do anything (I think it will), you can always apply some Dynomat, Lizardskin, or Brown bread to the interior. I'd keep it as is and see how it does, especially if you lay on 1/8" to 1/4" thick. You can always sound deaden the doors and ceiling with Dynomat later if you need to. Just my $.02 Good luck!

Davy

Using a 1/8" drill bit and 1/8" steel rivets should give you a tight fit. Make sure that you have your patch as tight against the repair area as possible so there is no gap to make it loose. The other common size is 3/16".

As far as noise goes, either turn that stereo up or for 50 cents buy some foamy ear plugs. Noisy cars are great for women. Just keep nodding your head while driving, they won't know the difference and will just keep on talking. ha,ha

Bedliner went down EASY this weekend. Did 2 coats, nice and thick. Ill have pics up later this week, maybe in 2 days. The before and after are astounding.

The jb weld worked great, I filled the gaps. You cant even tell them panel is in there, it looks so smooth.

One thing you guys are going to hate is, I couldent take up the tool kit covers (the bolts were rusted in pretty badly) so I osphoed them in and herculined over the little hatches. I wont be needing the space, and If i REALLY have to get into them, Ill just cut them open from behind the seat.

I work in a metal shop, so Im having a stainless steel console/ac control panel made, with new switches for wiring, horn, cd player etc. Ill make a progress thread on it.

Thanks for the advice guys, now this weekend the whole car gets rewired!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late reply. Yeah I mixed up the herc with a paint mixing tool and a drill. Here are the finished pics. Came out great if I do say so myself.

Yeah, but Id have to GET the car to the sheet metal shop for them to do welding on it. And my boss would probabaly charge me.

JB weld rocks too. Like solid steel almost.

Before

1.jpg

2.jpg

After

3.jpg

4.jpg

Ding ding ding! Winner, I used dry ice before and it took about 2 hours to do the whole car. I wasn't able to get ahold of some for my new project car I am working on now. But, it was sitting in a non heated garage for a couple weeks in pretty cold temps, literally took 5 minutes to pull the tar out of the hatch area, I used my hand mostly, it pulled up in big sheets.

Ha Ha... Here in Canada, I finally found an advantage to winter, since here, the build-ups usually happen during winter, I just push the car outside, wait for it to freeze, then roll it back inside chisel away and repeat the process if you took to much of your time for cold beverages and letting the car warm up in the meantime.

Lookin' good by the way.

:?: would bed liner be good for undercoating?