HybridZ

BSR Newman 240Z cage Photos

I recently had a chance to visit a friend that is the care taker for the Bob Sharp collection, and hear are some of the photos of the cage and interior I took. Sorry for some of the fuzzy photos. This 240Z Paul Newman drove to a SCCA C Production championship.

P1010033.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010034.jpg

i never understood why all the cage bracing was done at that one strut tower.

is it supposed to be the rising sun effect bursting out from the strut tower or something ? =/

There is only one member coming out of that "node" that would make the car assymetrical, and that would be the one going to the center of the dash. All the other ones are diagonals that triangulate with the roll bar, the middle rear bar, and the floor.

Pete: you are a giant among men, I can not believe you posted such pictures, I have learned more, feel so much more educated as to what the big boys would do, just.. holy $h*t man.... how did you get those pictures???!!!!??!?!?!?! THANKS thank you... 2 fing cool!

I am going to try to calm down now.... thanks

Man, I posted gobs of those photos at my Yahoo Photo Gallery DURING the convention in Syracuse. Talk about chance of a lifetime. I was on the floor underneath that thing taking photos.

When you get the chance to learn from the masters, even by observation, make the most of it. When I went back to look at the photos, even after intently studying the thing up close and personal, I STILL found neat littel details I missed!

Yahoo changes their server rotation, otherwise I could link to them.

That was the car that I photographed coming out of the corner at 80mph, with the hood totally flush with the fenders. But by the time it was passing the grandstands at over 120+mph, you could see the hood bowed up from underhood pressure significantly. Telling about some issues encountered at-speed when dealing with an S30 Chassis, even with a G-Nose!

Most useless post of the day Tony..

How about you link us to your gallery and we'll find the pics from there, or discuss some of the wonderful things you discovered whilst looking at the car?

Dave

Helix/Dave:

LIKE STATED in the post, there is an issue with the Yahoo Server rotation, and I can apparently only invite people individually.

They were in a public album for over two years, and nobody came to look even though stuff was posted. I sent linking notifications out in bulk mailings.

Matter of fact, I started getting grief because of how difficult it was to access them, and then people started getting downright demanding and rude, so I made them private.

You think with your attitude when it becomes difficult for you to access them I won't get more grief? So what is my upside to reopening that can of worms?

Maybe a useless post, but no more worthless that yours. maybe all three need to go to the tool shed. But given past history it's not worth my time to link them---just gets me too much grief. See, even mentioning them has drawn fire...

Back in 2002, we happen to meet the guy that takes car of this collection, along with another 50 or so vintage race cars. We were at a cruise night at a local diner, and he was in his 100% hand built Cobra. Since then they loaned us a couple of the cars for display at the 2003 convention, and ran the car in the photos at the convention track day. The owner showed up wearing a Paul Newman driving suit.

As you can see from the other photos, they found the Z31 Tom Cruise raced in the junkyard, and completely restored it. They also have the twin turbo V8 ZX, and the Z31 turbo Newman raced. This is the one one I want to get more photos of. My intent is to get a better camera and document the construction of these cars. There might be some new Bad Dog products in the future that come from all this (hint, hint...).

• Like 1

makes sense, but oddly enough, this is the only cage that i've seen with such a design. =/

It's not attaching to the strut tower. All those bars attach to the main hoop for the cage. A cage is stronger and stiffer if the bars attach to a "node" than if they just attach to any old place in the cage. Thanks for the pics Pete.