HybridZ

Holley Carb Problem

GeeZ

I have a Turbo Tom setup with 4 barrel Holley, 600CFM, Model 4160. When I start the car, it run OK for about 5 min, before gas starts to come out of the primary vent tubes as well as dripping extra gas thru the venturis. I have checked the Holley Red fuel pump, added a regulator (Holley), rebuilt carb with new needle/seat and float springs. Still no luck. What else?

Could the floats be bad? Anyone have any ideals that I have not tried?

Thanks

Either the fuel pressure is overpowering the float, the needle and seat isn't sealing, the float is binding or hanging on something, or the float has a hole in it. It's just a process of elimination to find the problem.

If it's pushing fuel out of both vent tubes, that's a good chance it's too much fuel pressure.

jt

Probably just some trash getting caught in the needle seat not allowing it to close. I would take the needle seat out, check for trash. Remove the primary and secondary float bowls and clean. Check fuel line / gas tank for trash. Make sure you have a filter. Re-assemble and check float level, adjust as needed. Make sure the fuel is regulated at least 6psi.

John

Definitely an issue with the float/needle valve not shutting off properly. I had that happen before and it was dirt in the needle valve. I rebuilt the carb (a rochester) and put in a new needle valve. It started overflowing again. Took out the new needle valve from the cheap rebuild kit and replaced it with the old one and all was good.

They are all wrong!!! The car is unfixable, basically a worthless pile of datsun junk. Being that and all, give it to me as a token of appreciation for all that I/we do and the fact that the z is still in paint prison. Yes, I have a mouse in my pocket and he talks to me in Mouse v1.109, which I have translated online. Basically he says "cheese", but now there are so many different types of cheese it's hard to distinguish.

huh? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: The doctor is definitely "out".

Oh, I forgot the reason I opened this string in the first place. Before my thought process was so rudely interrupted by the preceding post, I was going to say that I'd thoroughly clean the bowl float valve for any trash keeping it from sealing correctly.

They are all wrong!!! The car is unfixable, basically a worthless pile of datsun junk. Being that and all, give it to me as a token of appreciation for all that I/we do and the fact that the z is still in paint prison. Yes, I have a mouse in my pocket and he talks to me in Mouse v1.109, which I have translated online. Basically he says "cheese", but now there are so many different types of cheese it's hard to distinguish.

Is there a "Doctor" in the house??? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LARRY

Hey Doc, I am a pharmacist and I get you a hell of deal on the latest and greatest anti-psychotic drug. I like the injectable stuff myself.

Also, I have changed the needle/seat 2x, the fuel reg has been adjusted all the way down (4 psi, I think). I have ordered another quick-kit (to get the needle/seat/springs and new floats from JEGS. I thought I had hooked up the different tubing wrong, but I took them all off and still problem.

Thanks all for your help

You ordered from JEGS first mistake there !!!!!

Id like to ask " A Turbbo Tom Setup " does it push or pull through the carb im not much on turbos id like to see a pic or site on it im interested to see how it works with a carb .

I had the same problem with a BRAND NEW DEMON blower carb 750 cfm . One day it just decided to leak fuel wherever it felt like . It leaked enough fuel one day as to stall my car at 4,000 rpm !!!!

Somehow someplace it got a bit of rubber hose in the float needle inlet and dumped fuel everwhere . Even though i put a new filter on it and cleared the lines out but once i got rid of the piece of rubber out no problems to report of .

Being a rebuilt carb id check the floats like DrHunt said phenolic or brass . If they are sucking up fuel and get heavy wham there is a problem .

Jason

This remoinds me of a story.......

Long story short i spent more money on trying to find this elusive vacuum leak and it turned out to be the carb body itself had a crack or something inside that was not fixable. I coulda bought myself a really nice new carb instead i messed around with rebuild after rebuild and even took it to a Pro carb guy still no fixy.... so i sold the car. ( 68 mustang) Put one more rebuild on it if it dosn't work I'd put another carb on it. Or at least barrow one and see if it works.

Yeah, that's a classic "Stuck Needle" symptom.

Finding exactly what is sinking the needle (float leak, swarf in the works, fuel pressure) takes a bit more work!

Glad to hear it's fixed for now. You have a nice quality fuel filter on the inlet line, right....

Jegs seems to be ok. I get parts in two days. But how much stuff can you order for a Datsun from Jegs? I probably have not spent more than $200 total in misc. parts. I appreciate everyone's input.

John

All you need to do is swap in an american V8 and you will be on JEG's preferred mailing list like me.

They sell crate motors.

I tried to order from them because they sponsered a Jessie James build in Iraq. Gotta support the companies that support the troops.

Not to gloat but hmm some foriegn object in the float bowl aera . Im kidding man . Ive just had it and seen it so many times i get a lucky guess once in awhile .

As far as jegs ive had bad luck withthem . They sent the wrong part to me 3 times in a row took 4 months to get the correct one . they then over charged me by 2 grand and caused me alot of grief in my banks statements . Took 2 weeks to getthat one corected .

Then once i ordered something i think it was a blower pully well they charged me then never sent the part . then they said they did send it so that was a mess another 2 months to get another part . Got a holley carb with missing parts " electric choke piece " everything else was in place except that one piece . I also got charged 3 times once for the same part .

i only order from Jegs if Summit Racing costs more then they do . but if ya got a V8 z my fuel pump and regulator cost me about 500$ its easy to spend big bucks ouch .

Glad ya figured out ya carb problem took me 3 weeks the irst time it happend to me .

Jason