HybridZ

Adjustable Control Arm Redesign

Well i promised that i would make some improvements to my control arm design and post pics when done.I tried to fit in everybodys suggestions regarding my last design and these arms are definately far superior to my others.Before my threaded section did not continue into the main plate,so i lengthened the plate to allow 1" of the threaded rod to protrude into the structure.On top of this the plate itself is larger all around,a little wider and a little longer.I also like the suggestion of reinforcing the the main mounting plate section itself for bending strength,so i have 1/2" flat bar welded all the way around the perimeter of the plate and ground smooth on the top.The arms will allow about 1/2" to 5/8" of length/camber adjustment over stock while maintaining equal thread ratio both exposed and inside the adjuster tube.For those who didnt read my last thread before it was removed i will point out demensions again.The main plate and gussets are 1/4" plate steel,the threaded rod and heim joints are 3/4"x16 thread,the adjuster tube is 1 3/8" od x 3/16" wall thickness and have precision threaded bungs welded in the ends.The entire part is carefully tig welded throughout.I would say overall these arms might be just slightly heavier than stock but i havnt yet weighed them so i cant say for sure.Oh yea and as you can see i painted these ones spiffy red for good photo contrast.bb1.jpg

S3600003.jpg

S3600004.jpg

S3600005.jpg

S3600006.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea actually i put them on my car (which isnt working) and i could simply turn by hand easily and watch the tire move out,pretty slick.I guess if they get old and a little corroded you would just have to take a pipe wrench to them,would scratch the finish but thats easy to touch up,this is why i like never seize!

You could also use a rubber strap wrench on them. But I'd recommend milling in a flat for a stafard wrench size. Those parts will get dirty, rusty and will become more difficult to turn and "by hand" won't be an option.

I'll comment offline on the only concern I have. Otherwise everything else looks good.

Mike

thats not fair!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i thought the other thread was going really well.

although if gijonas wanted the pics and really negative discusion removed then fair enough.

I would say that these ones look heaps sturdier, very impressive i must say. nice of gijonas to take some notes on board, got this weird tingly feeling caus its like i made them myself, but didnt get dirty. lol:mrgreen:

i can probly guess some concerns, 'undercut weld start/finish where re'inforcing of the outer plate starts/finishes need a slight 'fill' or pause wheen welding before you arc off.

mate they look very nice and i like the finish on the cnrs of the re'in, very smooth.

nato

I will install one of these tonight and post some pics of the part on my project car,and anyone who wants to "guinipig" please pm me,i would like to get a set out to someone at discount for a little stress test.

Hmm... do you feel comfortable with a set installed on a 260 with a 700 HP SBC?

LOL!! nothing about 700hp in a 260 makes me feel comfortable.However i dont think hp really translates into more trouble for the control arms,granted you may be heavier than stock but extra weight goes to the springs not the lca.After all i will have a set of these on my own car with a vg30dett at around 450 hp,and vg30dett is not a lightweight either.The only place i see a possibility for troubles is in a car which sees a lot of track time although i personally have faith here as well.I believe it is part of a racers resonsibility to maintain his or her car very strickly also so even this really should not become a problem as long as everything is kept tight and regularly checked over for fatigue,something i personally would do regardless of the setup i was using.

Those look really good. Make sure they can be adjusted to be shorter than stock. For my car, I need the arms to end up at least 1/4" shorter (due to lca pivot relocation).

When you price them, it would be helpful if you could include the adjustable strut rod - even if the parts are off-the-shelf. Personally, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks mark-up to have all the parts arrive in one box vs. me having to place lots of orders to various places.

These do look very stout and on-car adjustable (with lock nuts) is a nice differentiator.