HybridZ

Walmart Special w/pics

Nismo280zEd

I would call bullsh!t on this if I read it anywhere online so I had to take some pics to prove it. I went to walmart and bought there "house" paint for .97 a can. Flat black and gloss. Couple coats of black, couple coats of clear. It looked pretty sh!tty but hey... it wasn't maroon anymore. So today on my day off... i thought what the hell... wet sand it and see how bad it looks, I figured i'd have to re-srpay it and just leave it flat black.

This is what I ended up with... keep in mind this was only hand sanding too and very quickly as i was in a hurry before the rain hit. I'm speechless... makn' a trip to walmart tonight to pick up more paint.

This pick shows the before and after... I left the door how it was after i finished spraying clear... looks pretty shitty. To the right is after some light wetsanding and hand buffing and a coat of wax.

compareyd8.jpg

compare2im9.jpg

reflection2lh9.jpg

reflectionol4.jpg

The last pic is with the camera about a foot away from the paint... lol incredible for .97 spray paint.

I did no prep work except scuffed the previous paint and cleaned it.

This gives a new alternate from the rustoleum.

-Ed

I don't know what's up... the IMG tags are fine... i have the same post on another board... I think Imageshack just doesn't allow the both boards to be open on the same post at the same time.

EDIT I started another account over on ImageShack, I must have overloaded the server.

It looks beautiful, it really does, but I think you'll find that within the next year the paint will oxidize and fade bad. Spray paint just doesn't hold up. Since you're comfortable doing that though, get a spray kits and some actual automotive paint from NAPA. Not sure what the kit costs, but I know for a single stage black with primer it's about $100.

The whole point of this was to find another alternative for a cheap paint job. Spending 100 bucks I might as well go buy an actual quart of paint and spray it on the car. This is a good alternative for the rustoleum seen on here. Also it's not going to give you problems later on when you want to actually paint your car.

This originally started when I got the 240 and the paint was in terrible condition. Clear coat was flaking off, etc. Plus it was maroon and honestly I just can't stand that color. Well I didn't want to spend the money to give it a "good" paint job (I have everything necesary still cost around 300-400 w/ materials), because i'm going to change out the front end of it later on. I know that in the Texas sun paint fades real quick, so i didn't want to spend the 400 and paint the car the pewter color i want, then change out the front clip, respray the front and find the colors don't match anymore.

So that's how this all started. I've been playing around with different spray paints and other paints. To get a decent paint job. There is a line you have to draw, If your going to go spend 100 bucks for a cheap job, you might as well spray down some primer, flat sand all the panels, take out the dents, etc. Keep in mind you don't have to use walmart .97 paint. I have a section of krylon on there as well that I'm sure will buff out just as nice but last longer. But then your paying 2-3 bucks a can compared to a buck. I also did the roof with some duplicolor, but again was not happy with the amount you pay per can for the mil of paint you get on the car. At .97 a can i can put down aprox 2-3 mil of color and clear and still save money.

Well to each is his own, jut thought I'd show you guys what I've been dabbling in for the last couple months.

-Ed

Those resluts are great!

But if you're looking for some great spray paint that will last for years then try Belton Molotow, and Montana Colors. They're more expensive than wal-mart can, but they definately will outlast any other paint on the market, and there is a huge variety of colors to choose from.

Check out Art Primo and Mtncolors for colors and prices.

If you understand the principle behind paint and how it works to get the shine then just about whatever you put on the surface can come out surprisingly well. Clean the surface well, spray it with at least 4 wet coats of a single stage paint (spray can type), allow it to cure, color sand from 800 to 1500, buff and polish. Basically, your increasing the refraction properties on the surface. Have fun!

Good job, I hate wetsanding and never got results as nice as that. You said you did it fast so Im guessing you didnt increase the grit of sandpaper used as you went along? How long did it take to do that panel? Electric buffer? What buffer compound? Sorry, no more questions....