HybridZ

no complete coilover strut assemblies available?

Does nobody sell a complete coilover strut assemblies for the s30? Complete meaning no welding, they are ready to go in. ArizonaZcar is the closest I can find but it still required your to cut and weld your stock strut sleeve in to their setup. (Short of buying their whole road race strut setup for $1600 a corner, at which point it comes ready to install.)

I have searched and read all the stuff on making your own and I know its the route seemingly everyone takes, but is there no other option?

Thanks,

Ryan

I'm sure you could get someone else to do the work for you with parts you supply (I would be one of many I'm sure), but the key is having the car in hand so that you can dictate exactly where you want the ride height to be, as well as the spring rate and the corner weights. All of this done remotely makes it a "guess" at best, which is probably why nobody does this. When it comes to lowering the Z with shorter inserts, the one-size-fits-all in not a good prescription.

Toki, I also live in Tucson and the guy that I had do mine is a retired welder from Raytheon. I think he only charged me $35 each and he did the sectioning, rewelded them back together and then welded on the new spring perch ring. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give him a call to see if he's willing to do any more.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

JohnC at betamotorsports. But again its pricy. If you don't have the time/tools/skills its probably worth it.

If you price it out is a decent deal

Shocks $460 (illuminas)

coilover kit $430

camber plates $340

welder $500 for an ok one or $60 for someone to do it for you.

paint, tools to strip, sand, grind, clean

Bearings, Ball joints, ect. All the small stuff adds up

JohnC at betamotorsports. But again its pricy. If you don't have the time/tools/skills its probably worth it.

If you price it out is a decent deal

Shocks $460 (illuminas)

coilover kit $430

camber plates $340

welder $500 for an ok one or $60 for someone to do it for you.

paint, tools to strip, sand, grind, clean

Bearings, Ball joints, ect. All the small stuff adds up

you forgot "profit" which is probably marginal with these kits. and even if they're a big profit, i'm sure it's reflective of the patience and quality built into the refinishing of the product.

Thanks guys.

I don't have an issue with finding someone to do the welding, I know more than a couple competant welders.

I guess the whole idea of ready to go assemblies comes from me comming from the 240sx crowd where there are 15 different types of ready to go coilover strut assemblies you can buy depending on how you are using the car and how aggressive you want things.

I guess the whole idea of ready to go assemblies comes from me comming from the 240sx crowd where there are 15 different types of ready to go coilover strut assemblies you can buy depending on how you are using the car and how aggressive you want things.

Z people are more of a hands on type crowd. We would rather do something like this ourselves.

We are also notoriously cheap

you forgot "profit" ...

You also forqot "the government", as in taxes, workmans comp. Plus shop fees, rent, utilities. All those things you have to pay to run a shop legally that DIY people always forget.

The 240SX uses a bolt on strut in the front, and a coilover strut in the rear. The 240Z uses a strut insert front and back. So instead of replacing just the piece that holds the spring and shock, aftermarket strut manufacturers would need to provide the spindles in the front and the hubs for the rear wheel bearings in the rear, and installation would be a major PITA. You'd have to pull the hubs up front and pull the stub axles and wheel bearings and spindle pins in the rear to install a one piece strut. That's why the difference.

Having the strut tubes sectioned isn't that expensive as stated above,if you find a professional,reputable TIG welder,And give him DETAILED instructions with photos on the work being done.I had a local race shop botch my originals,and had to source a second set,and another professional TIG welder,just because the first guy couldn't follow my simple,yet thourough directions and photos,just a complete nightmare.(the second set of strut tubes turned out great!)I'm certain the search function will give you a plethora of info pertaining to your questions on this.