HybridZ

front hub play, please help

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

I reassembled my front hubs, regreased everything, bottomed out the nut to the nissan manual specs and put the cotter pin in. My concern is there is a fair amount of lateral play in the whole assembly. With the calipers on it seems fine but I cant imagine that play being normal. I know on alot of cars the calipers keeping the rotor center is normal but not the whole assembly.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or if that play is normal? It makes me really nervous, so do me a favor and chime in. thnx everyone.

Guest TeamNissan

The bearings spun smooth, it is a pretty low milage z. So I brake cleaned out the old grease and repacked it. I didnt remove any of the old bearings or races.

What I mean when I say I bottomed it out is that I threaded it as far as it would go and then tq'd it to the book specs. The book really leaves something to be desired on this one because it says you can back the nut off up to like 15 degrees to meet the cotter pin so I dont think that the nut has much to do with this.

Thnx for the quick reply jon, what do you think?

If it was something in the hub assembly it would have play all the way around, not just lateraly. Sounds like a ball joint to me. Have you checked that? When I tighten the hub nut down on mine I go until it just starts to drag the hub when it spins and lock it down. Never had any problems aside from the hub that was worn out. The races would drop in and out with any pressure, but that was from the previous owner.

Guest TeamNissan

You know what I figured it out just now. I'm actualy too embarassed to admit what it was but thank very much you everyone.

Here is a pic I just took of it together.

l_b2d7392c1d7bfd06583f2b8fffa83aca.jpg

Guest TeamNissan

Ya thats what the manual calls for. I believe its 25-35lb tq rotate the hub left and right to settle the bearing, retorque then back the nut off 60 degrees. If the nut doesnt cionside with the cotter pin its ok to back it off another 16 degrees.

For everyones reference.

Yeh I found the factory specs too loose, used to get pad knock off on the track. Using Slick 50 multipurpose grease (good American product) in the bearings I found tightening it right up but with virtually no preload was the go. Bearings never wore out, on examination no sign of distress or over heating.

Guest TeamNissan

Emwhyrohen wins lol, what a embarasing mistake.... Atleast I fixed it befor it even went on the car, that would have been some serious trouble had I not.

Let that be a lesson to all of you, dont be dumb like me, use all the parts lol.

Emwhyrohen wins lol, what a embarasing mistake.... Atleast I fixed it befor it even went on the car, that would have been some serious trouble had I not.

Let that be a lesson to all of you, dont be dumb like me, use all the parts lol.

Yeah usually left over nuts and bolts are common, however left over bearings...No...

Guest TeamNissan

Ah well you know its wasnt like I had left over things and was like ah screw it lol. My gf washed them so I could regrease them months ago and left them upstairs. I assembled and was like hmmm something wrong here and then posted.

Just goes to show what we are ALL capable of doing. In a hurry, I've done worse (leaving all the lifters out of the block after installing the intake manifold and dropping the the pushrods into the block. My excuse was a neighbor asking a bunch of questions while I was assembling the motor.