HybridZ

280ZX jacking points

m1ghtymaxXx

Stupid question, I know, but after stumbling across a few posts, i learned that those things that look like frame rails can't support the weight of the car, so where can you place a floor jack under a zx? My jack won't even fit under thos rails without first using the factory scissor jack and lifting the car a few inches first.

You can roll the car up onto some 1x6, maybe then you can fit your floor jack under without using the scissor lift.

I jack the rear under the diff, and put the stands on the suspension mount points in back. I jack the front under the cross member, usually one side at a time. Again, stands on thick suspension pieces.

for the front there is a flat metal plate midships just aft of the engine which is a very good jack point to get the front end up then put your jackstands under the members that go to the front towing loops. Those are very sturdy. Saw a z lifted in the air from them after a memorable off the road experience. If you feel where the notch is for the factory jack you can feel the hard spot where the jack goes. I put a piece of 2x2 wood on that hard spot and use the floor jack with the wood between the jack and the car. There are four hard spots two front/two rear.

I think the factory scissor jack has a sticker that shows jacking points. Behind the door on the little lip where the body panels meet there's a little cut out that's supposed to mark the spot. I'll try and post pics tomorrow.

I have the diagram in both my owners manual, and haynes repair manual, but my car is missing the notches in the rockers it shows in the diagrammes. The car is pretty much rust free, so i can't see the rockers being replaced. Unfortunately the scissor jack bends the rocker every time i use it.