HybridZ

Just had an Earhtquake....

COZY Z COLE

At 8:40 PST we had a 4.2 earthquake centered one mile from Lafayette Ca. I'm around 50 miles from there and I was sitting at my computer when there was a bang, my chair moved, the house gave out a cracking sound, and my cat jumped off of her chair that is by me. I thought someone had hit the house in their car....Damn, it's fun to live in CA. :-)

I got to have a talk with my Mojo........

LARRY

Yup, I definitely felt that one. I was at the computer and felt the jolt, then some gentle rolling for 2 seconds. They make me uneasy, frankly. I just wait to see if they'll continue and get bigger---I remember 1989!! Lafayette is about 40 miles from me.

Davy

I was under my car 2 nights ago to drop the tranny. I'll be sure to add more support other than the 4 jackstands under my Z before I do more work. Yes, I checked to make sure my car is still on the stands.

Good. What city are you in? Wensleydale is a cheese...

Davy

i have family in northern cali.i dont do earthquakes.ill stick with tornados at least you know there comming.

I survived an F-5 tornado in Oklahoma, I now live in SoCal and you could not pay me enough to move back anywhere near tornado alley. I would rather face an earthquake anytime.

Dragonfly

I always throw the wheels under the car while I am under it on jackstands. Even though we probably wont have an earthquake here I still think about it when i am under the car.

I see the earthquake on my earthquake map. Yes, I use Opera Browser 9 and one of it's widgets is an earthquake map! There was a 6.4 off the coast of Northern Peru on 2/23 and then a 6 in the Gulf of California on 2/25.

i lived in st lousey, mo for 4 years--i could not toleraste momms naytcher coming onto my new car like that------i hadta move====much rather surf the sidewalk without skates than have to fly like toto.......

I was stationed in SoCal for awhile, but have since moved back to Pa. The only earthquakes (for the most part, I mean the Appalacians, Poconos, Allegheneys and Catskills were made somehow) we get here are when the ground sinks from under us. (Limestone bedrock + high water table + old coal mines= very unstable ground!)

Sinkholes are as common here as earthquakes are there. Earthquakes from sinkholes feel almost identical, they just don't radiate as far from the epicenter.

That said....I would vastly prefer an earthquake to Nature's other...SUGGESTIONS....

You can build to survive an earthquake fairly easily....even a big one won't affect as much area as a big hurricane or tornado.

It's almost impossible to build to survive an F5 or a Cat 5 hurricane with it's winds, debris, AND flooding.

This does not even take into account that severe hurricanes and tornadoes occur much, much more frequently than severe earthquakes.

Guest fenderbender02

I think i'll stick with the hurricanes and tornados here in florida. The idea of the ground shaking is not comforting. If there was some kind of warning it might not be so bad.

If you follow this link http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/tornadodata/county/getcounty.php?county=Le_Flore then go down the list to the one that says "76-08 03/26/1976 1528 12 440 F5 2 64 Le Flore 4 E Bokoshe- Spiro"

That is the tornado I was in, I was one of the 64 injured. I consider myself quite lucky... I was only crippled for a few months and I only have a few dozen scars left. One of the 4 people killed in that tornado was in a storm shelter so don't fool yourself into thinking that an early warning will save you... it only increases your odds of surviving.

mamba_888 there is not a thing in the world that could get me to live where you came from... guess I am to much of a mother nature chicken, I will stay in the very mild SoCal region.

Dragonfly