HybridZ

Where should I move to?

JMortensen

Well put... My advice still stands for Jon. He's in a tax situation that would certainly benefit him (from what we've discussed offline) and hopefully he'll be smart and buy in an area that trends towards appreciation, rather than depreciation.

I'd also still recommend that you become active in your community Michael. My guess is that you have a lot of less capable people making decisions on behalf of your community and its direction. Although your comments about Ohio's job sitation are spot on, there is a huge push to get government OUT of the "blast zone" known as Washington DC, and goverment agencies are looking into relocation strategies.

Over the last three months I've worked closely with representatives from the state Senate and regional development representatives to get the opportunity to provide alternate solutions to government agencies looking for contingency planning/ disaster recovery space to call home... It's a big market and the federal government is HUGE. I see no reason why these more depressed areas of the country shouldn't be put at the front of the line to get their slice of the pie. But often times it's the players involved from those depressed states that simply aren't capable of making the deals or meeting with the right people to get to the front of the line.

Good luck Michael, and I bet your mom would sure like you to come back to Va. to live! :wink:

Mike

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Well, it hasn't technically been received yet, but she defended her thesis yesterday and gathered all of the signatures she needs, now she just mails off the paperwork and waits for the diploma in the mail.

This masters degree in Nutritional Science was supposed to take 2 1/2 years, or so I was told 4 1/2 years ago, but as with all of her education she did work her way through; I'm sure a full time student would have been faster. Her thesis had to do with homemade tube feedings for kids with gastrostomy tubes (feeding tubes that go straight into the stomach). It wasn't pro or con, just looking at the issue of HMTF and what affect making the tube feedings themselves has on the families, vs just using one of the formulas commonly available like Pediasure. Her review board said it was one of the best theses they had ever reviewed.

Anyway, I couldn't be more proud. Mrs. Mortensen is now Melissa Mortensen MS, RD, CSP.

She autocrosses in C Street Prepared and is smarter then you? Man, you'll need to be working hard on the self esteem thing...

She autoxes in FP/L, and for what it's worth, I never did find dumb women attractive! :D

So does this milestone move the date for your relocation plans forward?

This was what we were waiting for. Now the problem is moving. We looked at pretty much all of our options in the west, OR, ID, NM, CO, CA. CA was the most promising, and we were anticipating moving to Coarsegold, CA, which is just maybe 15 miles south of the south entrance to Yosemite. The job that she applied for there is no longer available, and while they offered several fill in positions for employees on maternity leave, that leaves us with no steady employment for her, and no benefits for either of us. So that was out.

I really like NM, and we found a place outside of Albuquerque called Tijeras and I thought it was just perfect for me, but there were no jobs for her.

Neither of us liked CO at all. Boise, ID was OK, but not so spectacular that we wanted to move there.

So it looks like for now we're going to move out of King County WA, to somewhere in Snohomish County. Getting out of the county that Seattle is in means not having to pay for any more bogus Monorail projects or this stupid friggin tunnel they're talking about. Also cheaper home prices, cheaper taxes, etc. So that is the plan for the short term, and then we'll wait for that perfect job for her in a place that we both want to move to for a long term goal.

I really wanted to get away from here, but the only other job option for her was Visalia, CA which is right in the central valley. That would be trading cold and rain with mountain views on all sides for insane heat and the third worst air quality in the country where you can't even see how flat it is because the smog obscures your vision, so I just couldn't bring myself to make the trade.

I can sympathize Justin. Figuring out where to move is a real bitch. We've spent a lot of time and effort trying to find a place that we'd both like to go, but it really is tough. I should probably roll this thread into my "Where should I move to?" thread.

C'mon.... move to the NW Arkansas area....rumors of inbreeding and other "Deliverance" activities are greatly overstated...

Long commute is 25 min, housing is still appreciating, $250-300K still buys you a very nice home, Hallett is only a hour or two away and sheezzz...

Dsommers and I need some more Z guys here!

End of sales pitch.

Bryan

What Jon, you don't want to help fund the "BIG DIG" west coast edition? :)

Those of us on the east side of the state watch in amazement the absurd decisions made by those running King county.

My wife and I have been through the moving thing a few times ourselves. When we first moved to the Tri-Cities from Spokane I gave it 3 years and we'd be outta here, I've tried unsuccessfully to move several times since then. That was 13 years ago and this is the longest I've lived anywhere. I grew up in northern Idaho and the Spokane area so would really like to get back that direction some day. It will be difficult for me to make a move now though, I've finally got a house with a very large garage (1100 sq ft) and contemplating leaving it makes me hesitate. Our main reason for wanting to move out of here is the hot summers, the dust and the wind.

We've pretty much decided to buy some property close to one of the lakes in eastern WA or northern ID and make that our summer getaway. We spent last summer looking and made an offer on a nice plot close to Newport WA but it was rejected. I think it's a good time to be looking as property values have leveled off and even dropped in some places.

Anyway, don't get discouraged, you'll eventually find a place you like that also has good job opportunities for your wife. Mean while, get your Z back on the road and enjoy it.

Wheelman

What Jon, you don't want to help fund the "BIG DIG" west coast edition? :)

Those of us on the east side of the state watch in amazement the absurd decisions made by those running King county.

Without getting too political, I think we're in total agreement on this one.

My wife and I have been through the moving thing a few times ourselves. When we first moved to the Tri-Cities from Spokane I gave it 3 years and we'd be outta here, I've tried unsuccessfully to move several times since then. That was 13 years ago and this is the longest I've lived anywhere. I grew up in northern Idaho and the Spokane area so would really like to get back that direction some day. It will be difficult for me to make a move now though, I've finally got a house with a very large garage (1100 sq ft) and contemplating leaving it makes me hesitate. Our main reason for wanting to move out of here is the hot summers, the dust and the wind.

We've pretty much decided to buy some property close to one of the lakes in eastern WA or northern ID and make that our summer getaway. We spent last summer looking and made an offer on a nice plot close to Newport WA but it was rejected. I think it's a good time to be looking as property values have leveled off and even dropped in some places.

Anyway, don't get discouraged, you'll eventually find a place you like that also has good job opportunities for your wife. Mean while, get your Z back on the road and enjoy it.

I am actually happier now than I've ever been in my life, I just don't like where I live at all. My wife and I did a lot of struggling over a lot of years to get where we are now. I think getting the Z going and doing some racing will definitely make it a more fun place to be. Anyway thanks for the encouragement.

By the way I just looked up Newport, WA on Google. Looks like good fishing and cold winters to me. Good spot for a summer retreat...

I say head over the mountains to Yakima, sure its the crack capitol of the state, but it looks like it meets most of your criteria.

300+ plus days of sun a year,

2 hour drive to friends in Seattle,

a 1,500 sq ft house with land and shop will cost way under 300,000,

local tracks for racing, and again close to Seattle stuff,

pretty decent jobs especially considering the cost of living vs Seattle,

there is WAY less traffic, you can get almost anywhere in 20 min.

The only downside I see is that we get hotter in the summer and colder in the winter...

I am actually happier now than I've ever been in my life, I just don't like where I live at all. My wife and I did a lot of struggling over a lot of years to get where we are now. I think getting the Z going and doing some racing will definitely make it a more fun place to be. Anyway thanks for the encouragement.

Jon,

That statement exactly describes where I'm at. I don't like it here in the Tri-Cities but I'm as happy as I've ever been and I REALLY don't want to screw that up. Having the large garage and the ability to work on my project cars goes a long way toward compensating for the negatives of the area.

By the way I just looked up Newport, WA on Google. Looks like good fishing and cold winters to me. Good spot for a summer retreat...

Again this is exactly what I said about that area. I love it up there and some day will find the perfect plot of land for a summer retreat. When that happens we'll have to have you and your wife over to do some fishing and drink some beer if you're into it.

So how much do you have left to do on your Z before it's ready for the road?

Wheelman

Hey John,

Congratulations to your wife, I guess you don't miss Agoura? As you know I grew up there but would never go back, It was the right place at the right time. I have lived all over CA and lived in Hawaii for 7 years. I have lived in New England in MA just south of Boston near RI for the last 20 years and love it, I am in the country with 2 acres of land in a 3000sq ft 2 story colonial home with a finished basement and a 2 car garage that I had built 7 years ago for under 270K, It is now worth 470K. Yeah it snows and gets cold but the New England country is beautiful and worth it, the beach is a half hour away as well and I am on a lake. Heat the garage and you can tinker on your Z all winter long, NHIS is only a little over an hour away and Limerock ain't that far either. I admit I love parts of Washington and Oregon also, I just don't know if I can take all the rain. Take your time and you and your wife will find your happy resting spot.

Greg

Yep Greg, the rain takes its toll for sure. I was just doing my taxes today and the accountant says "Seattle is beautiful 4 months out of the year" and that's about the truth. I don't know that I'd like a New England winter though... I guess I'm cold-blooded.

Wheelman, my car is going to be a trailer queen when its all done, so even when it is done don't expect me to drive over in the Z. I don't really know how long its going to take. I've made a hell of a lot of progress in just the last 6-8 months though. If I had to guess I'd say it will be ready to drive in maybe another year. Don't know if I'm going to get a shop, but if I do it might go a bit faster. I'm really cramped in my 1.5 car garage now...

Guest TeamNissan

I dont think new england/tri state winders are that bad, from mid state ny down anyway. Think there has been a good month of winter here so far....

I'm in jersey right on the hudson across from nyc.......

Guest TeamNissan

That I should add is for xmass and new years it was in the 50's and today it hit 60. Thats really mild imo because I'm really cold blooded too, befor 40 and I like refuse to leave my house lol.