HybridZ

Wolf'd '79 280zx

RTz

• Administrators

Mike and Terry Hintz took delivery of thier newly Wolf’d 280zx today.

Nearly two years ago, their immaculate silver ZX was involved in an accident...

MikeHintzSilverZX.jpg

Being beyond reasonable repair (racked the entire chassis, head to toe), they decided to find a donor chassis for thier drivetrain/suspension/interior.

This is the car they agree’d upon...

MikeHintzZX2.jpg

MikeHintzZX22.jpg

.... and thus began the pursuit.

Mike and Terry decided they wanted their classic car... essentially new.

In 22 short months, Mike turned water into wine...

MikeHintzBare.jpg

MikeHintzBare2.jpg

MikeHintzBare3.jpg

His diligence is inspiring!

Eventually, He asked me to spend a 'little' time under the hood. We opted for a Wolf3D EMS system with a couple bells and whistles.

WolfV4.jpg

Arriving at our shop...

MikeHintzArrival.jpg

A Nissan optical cam sensor provides the trigger, with 6 coils (Denso) and semi-sequential injectors. A Rusch Motorsports head, intake manifold, fuel rail, and 14mm injector conversion, ceramic coated intake and exhuast manifolds, 2.5” exhuast, 60mm TB, fresh 5-speed, coupled with an immaculate interior.

hintzmanifoldb.jpg

hintzmanifolda.jpg

MikeHintzBareCoils.jpg

MikeHintzCoils.jpg

MikeHintzLeft.jpg

MikeHintsRight.jpg

Of course a fully rebuilt suspension including ball-joints, bushings, springs, bars, and dampers have been added to 'top-it-off'.

Mike had this to say...

"Terry and I took possesion of our born again ZX this evening. After spending the past 22 months strippng the old zx down and rebuilding the the new one it is a great feeling to have it road worthy again. Quite a bit has taken place during this entire ordeal.

I owe a great deal too several people. Both Ron Tyler of Prime Engine Management, and Paul Rushman of Rushmotorsports, both located in Sandy, Oregon are the main contributors. Without their help this project would never have come too pass.

The car is totaly awsome! It has been transformed from the respectable silver sports car is was to a fire breathin rip snortin heart stopper.

Mike Hintz"

WOW!! By far the cleanest 280zx engine bay I've ever seen, very clean 280zx in general. Very simple and "classic" good work guys!

Tyson

+1 very very clean im tryin to make my bay like that i want basicly nothin in there except the motor lol....

Looks freakin' awesome Ron (as usual :mrgreen:). You guys do great work.

What vehicle can I get those coils from, and do they have the igniters built in?

What mods were done to the engine (CR, pistons, cam, etc.)? Been on the dyno yet?

• Administrators

Thanks Guys.

THE Z LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

Im currently building a coil set up similar to yours, do you have any pics of how you ran the water pump inlet/ head return line with that set up?

Tommy,

I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures of that (and the car is no longer here). However, I think a description will suffice. I welded up a tee and inserted into the lower radiator hose, angled it towards the frame-rail a bit, and ran a 5/8" hose along the frame-rail. Fastened with Adell clamps.

Which coils did you decide on?

What vehicle can I get those coils from, and do they have the igniters built in?

What mods were done to the engine (CR, pistons, cam, etc.)? Been on the dyno yet?

Pete,

The coils are 2000 Chev. Suburban. Electrically the same as LS1 coils, just re-oriented low voltage connector. Ignitors are integral... Wolf drives them directly. Fully saturated in 5.6-5.8 ms. Paired up with Magnecor wires.

The engine has a Braap massaged P79 head running flat-tops. CR is 9.0:1, with a stock cam (for now). Header is 6-1, exhaust 2 1/2". Aluminum flywheel. The car is anxiously awaiting a dyno session.

• Administrators

So coils from any 2000 or later GM Vortec V8 have the igniters built in.

I've seen a number of variations of Denso coils. If they are 4 wire, they should have dumb ignitors built-in.

Hey Ron,

I ended up going with the stock ls1 coils. Ive purchased everything (Haltech e11, sensors, lc1 innovate, etc..) from a local shop and thats what they suggested. Not as easy to mount as your set up though, but still looks sick. I'll post picks soon as Im back on my feet (back surgery on monday 12th), Thats sounds like a great idea on routing those heater lines. I was thinking about cutting the flange off the inlet and rotating it 90deg. to the left and rewelding but your set up seams cleaner and easier.

Again KILLER CAR!!!!

U DA MAN

TNX Tommy

That is beautifully restored and love the cleanliness of the engine bay. The first pic showing the car accident does not look all that bad surprisingly.

With the head work and the Wolf EFI, what are you estimating the hp level?

Really inspiring work and great to see another car saved!

Yasin

• Administrators

With the head work and the Wolf EFI, what are you estimating the hp level?

I'm going to save actual numbers for the dyno :-)

"A Nissan optical cam sensor provides the trigger"

i was wondering if you had a pic of this.

I don't have any close-ups. You'll have to settle for this...

MikeHintzCAS.jpg

I was wondering the same about the optical sensor providing the signal to the COP system.

The CAS is not directly linked to the coils. The job of the CAS is to tell Wolf the exact position of the engine. With that information, Wolf knows precisely when to fire each ignition channel & each injector channel.

I used an Infiniti M30 distributor in this case, due to convenience. It only required minimal modification to adapt to an L-series. A better solution is to use the distributor from a late 280zxt as it already fits 'the hole'. Just chuck the cap & rotor in the round bin and machine a new aluminum cap, per the picture :wink:

But one of the problems with the stock 280ZXT distributor is that it does not have a reference mark for #1 position. That is why people keep telling me that I would have to use a 36-1 crank sensor. So how do you accomplish this with the ZXT dist? Could you install a 300ZX CAS unit to give you the #1 position?

HB280ZT

• Administrators
But one of the problems with the stock 280ZXT distributor is that it does not have a reference mark for #1 position.

So... you want me to give away ALL my tricks?...LOL :D

I drill a .100" hole about .040" after cylinder one slot, as below...

OpticalTrigger.jpg

This provides the 'sync' pulse for cylinder one.

Note: The above disc is a Z32 CAS I modified for the same purpose. It is slightly different in that all 6 slots are differently sized. The 280zxt's slots are all the same width. Its irrelevant, as long as you configure the trigger to rising edge.

That is why people keep telling me that I would have to use a 36-1 crank sensor.

And if you use that 36-1 crank sensor solo, you'll be stuck with batch fire & wasted spark. Gotta have a cam sync. if you want sequential injection/sequential ignition.

Ron,

You're modified ZX disty now provides cam position information to the ECU? Can you describe the output waveform? Is there one wider pulse that indicates TDC on piston 1 during the compression stroke? How many pulses follow before the next TDC pulse?

You are correct in saying that you must run batch injection with a 36-1 wheel on the crank, but with spark, all cylinders get equal spark energy with a COP setup like you have used. Yes, one is always wasted, but all cylinders get equal energy because of individual coils. You can fire two igniters with one ignition output of the wolf. You can also do the same with MS.

What size injectors are you using, and how is the idle quality? I know the V3.0 units had too course resolution at idle for large injectors (I've added additional batch injectors to compensate). The V4.0 units improved this greatly. I have not seen a V500 unit, and was wondering how it faired.