HybridZ

what do i do with the 280z fuel vent line?

im running a SBC, i have the new fuel pump all hooked up, Feed and Return... now the small VENT line... what do i do with it..? was it coming out of the stock charcoal canister? im not useing a canister now so what do you carbed v8 guys do with this line?

thx

andy

Ya know, I am curious about that too. When I had the carbed L6 I just left the vent tube open in the engine bay. When I put the LS2 in, I got another charcoal canister and hooked it all back up. Seems to be working ok. I don't know why you couldn't still use it with carbs, but I am definately not the expert on this (or anything else).

I was curious about this as well, I saved the 280Z charcoal cannister just in case it is needed, although I am not sure how it all would hook up at this time to the Old School stroker motor or the LT1 depending on which motor I install first. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there unless somebody has "been there and done that" already and is willing to chime in.

Greg

I found a crazy old guy to weld all my vent lines except the one big one closed and I ran it back to the fill cap tee and chunked the cannister. Works great so far. Better than all those crazy snake lines coming up from the tank to the cannister. Many guys find they have to replace these anyway due to cracking and gas fumes. Same guy installed a 3/8" fuel sump line to replace the 5/16" line which is really overkill for my application, but I like having the larger steel fuel lines running all the way from the tank without the restriction in case I want to sip more and faster later.

If you do not need to pass emission testing you can chuck the canister. Cut the vent line at the back of the car, it needs to be cut so it is higher than the fuel tank and after it runs up the fuel filler tube, bend the line so the open end points to the rear of the car. This needs to be done correctly or the vent will act like a fuel over flow if you fill the gas tank full.

So, what's the downside of plugging it?

There will be no way to get air back into the tank to replace the fuel you are sucking out. That could cause fuel feed issues when the fuel pump is trying to fight the vacuum in the tank.

On the other end of things as the car heats up and cools down with changes in outside temp the fuel will expand and contract. Where will all that pressure go?

There will be no way to get air back into the tank to replace the fuel you are sucking out. That could cause fuel feed issues when the fuel pump is trying to fight the vacuum in the tank.

Thats what i was thinking too.. I guess i could just put the canister back on the wheel well and hook the line back up... but isint there a better way? i guess you just need a safe way to let off fuel vapors right?..

how about back to air cleaner maybe? or that would create vacume?

the only thing i know would work would be to put back the canister...

There's gotta be a better way.

drew

When I installed my turbo motor I decided to keep the canister for the same reason. (didn't want fuel fumes) The only problem was my I/C was in the way of where the Puke tank sat originally, so the puke tank is now mounted where the charcoal canister used to go. I then cut down the charcoal canister, removed the charcoal, so all that's left is the purge valve assembly, and put the rubber bottom back on the shortened canister. I then ziptied the canister to the A/C valve bracketry and it is nestled on top of the fuel filter. I eventually want to find a purge valve from a 240z and mount it in the same spot, so the fuel lines are untouched.

I wonder if a one-way valve would accomplish the same feat? (keep vapor from escaping but allow air back into the tank as fuel is used)

Plus, I noticed that fuel will run out of that purge line if the car is parked on a steep hill, so I had to keep the purge valve function active.

One of the auto shop teachers at my school has a 510 that he's done a bunch of work on. He cut the vent line ~3 inches from the tank and bent it up as far as it would go, then put a little filter on it so it can breath but gas doesn't spill out.

Mine is gone completely. I then placed a small section of rubber fuel line onto the existing nipple on the tank and clamped a large bolt into the end of that,...Done! No problems and no leaks.

I also closed off the return line to the tank and I am using a Carter electric pump with just the one original line up to my Edelbrock carb. No fuel starvation problems at all here ;) The car never misses a beat and has been running now for close to a year of more (I loose track of time).

Also no cannister, it is history.