HybridZ

Radiator vs rb engine

turbo_fb

I am doing my 260z with rb25det engine in and the radiator will have to go.

It's not shiny and soon turning 33 years old :)

I have a contact in taiwan that can make a custom radiator for me if I buy 10 of them. I am going to buy atleast 5 for me and friends, but if any else wants one, I can get the maker to ship em to someone in their country.

First I need to make the drawings for it.

After some searching I see that in/out let is on the right side.

I would also get him to weld in temp sensor bung, but what else is there to think of?

The price for each radiator would be around 150$ I think. Maybe less.

Quite cheap.

Thickness can be choosen between 30,40,52 and 56mm..

I guess 52 or 56 is the way to go.

I used a 22"x19" double pass radiator with inlets and outlets on the same side to reduce hoses in the engine bay.

I had John @ Beta weld on some alum tabs for me so that I could use the stock radiator bolt points (using rubber insulators). I then drilled holes and bolted up! EASY!

radiator01.jpg

radiator02.jpg

radiator03.jpg

radiator04.jpg

radiator05.jpg

radiator06.jpg

radiator07.jpg

radiator08.jpg

radiator09.jpg

radiator10.jpg

what was the price of that rad looking rad =)

I think it was about $200 bucks. But I havn't been able to find it on the site ever since. I'll keep looking.

Found it, I think the prices went up to like $250 (which still isn't bad)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI%2D1%2D28182%2DX&N=700+4294839040+400030+4294810996+4294792838+115&autoview=sku

Part Number "GRI-1-28182-X" On Summitracing.

I think it was about $200 bucks. But I havn't been able to find it on the site ever since. I'll keep looking.

Found it, I think the prices went up to like $250 (which still isn't bad)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI%2D1%2D28182%2DX&N=700+4294839040+400030+4294810996+4294792838+115&autoview=sku

Part Number "GRI-1-28182-X" On Summitracing.

and it's had no cooling issues on your RB?

so exactly what does one look for when choosing a radiator.

I think i've come across a lot of rads that I thought would fit in the Z nicely, but that's one thing that I've never paid much attention to (because I'm not at that point yet, or never had the need for a performance radiator application)

so exactly what does one look for when choosing a radiator.

I think i've come across a lot of rads that I thought would fit in the Z nicely, but that's one thing that I've never paid much attention to (because I'm not at that point yet, or never had the need for a performance radiator application)

Cooling efficiency, fitment, and flow.

Cooling efficiency, fitment, and flow.

but how does one estimate or find out what the needed level of cooling should be when the engine has never been run yet?

how shall one plan for this on a specific engine such as an N/A RB.

http://www.randys-racemart.com/prcdopara.html

This is the one i am using. Good price and it has the inlet and outlet on the same side which is perfect for the RB engine. It looks really good too.

I'm using the same radiator. It's a Afco aluminum radiator. good quality and good price. The radiator cap I got it off a jeep... just in case:D ...

I honestly don't remember if i got the ford or chevy type. I plan on welding mounting tabs on it like 240z Master did though. I got mine in the 24 inch width. They also have PRC radiators with built in heeat exchangers for those of you that want to run an automatic.

I honestly don't remember if i got the ford or chevy type. I plan on welding mounting tabs on it like 240z Master did though. I got mine in the 24 inch width. They also have PRC radiators with built in heeat exchangers for those of you that want to run an automatic.

Some 24" wide radiators wont fit between the frame rails.

I also got my inlet and outlet pipes on the same side to reduce piping in the engine bay for a cleaner look. Plus with a double pass radiator, I think it'll work wonders.

The double pass I think cools fluid across the radiator twice before going back into the engine bay.

I bought a cross flow rad from these guys.... http://www.northernfactory.com/HP/default.asp

Nice unit and not that expensive...I also picked up their electric cooling fan setup...made to fit. I bought off their ebay sales.

The only short fall is the rad is a bit deep and falls below the front cross member..but I overcame thsi no problem

I reccomend them!

http://www.randys-racemart.com/prcdopara.html

This is the one i am using. Good price and it has the inlet and outlet on the same side which is perfect for the RB engine. It looks really good too.

I'll third that for Randy's racemart. I bought the AFCO(PRC) 24 x 18.5 Chevy type for my l28 engine for $159(now $179). For the RB, you'll want the double pass PRC ($209) where the inlet and outlet are both on the passenger side. The 24 inch is a great fit in my 240Z. It fills out the space in radiator support so that you can't see into the engine compartment, meaning more of the core is exposed to the cooling airflow.

Randy's Racemart was kind enough to open a newly packaged radiator to take measurements for me. They also called both the AFCO and PRC warehouses for me. I originally was going to purchase a dual pass, but Randy's only had the single pass in their store at the time. FYI, they explained that the owner of PRC once worked for AFCO. The radiators share the same core, but PRC weld their own end tanks. The only significant difference that I see is that the PRC has a billet aluminum fill neck. I simply went with the AFCO because it's advertised height is 18.5" is less than the PRC's 19" for the tiny bit extra ground clearance.

For support I made brackets that cup the radiator end tanks from below, similar to the JTR manual, but much smaller.

If you searched, you would have found SR240Z's beautiful install here

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110732&highlight=afco+radiator

Note how short his mounting brackets are. Some say the radiator should be electrically insulated from the car. I use foam tape between my brackets, but others probably have a more elegant solution.