HybridZ

Cobra R Wheels Installed

Originally posted by auxilary:

that looks great, but i have a question

Is it me, or is the tread pattern backwards on the rear wheel?

DOH! bonk.gif

You're right! I didn't pay attention to the roatation direction and swapped the rears side-to-side last time I had them off. Nice Catch!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Very nice looking car, great wheels. I love the back flares, they give me a positively evil idea to swap a 9" ford rear in without having to cut it down much if at all. Hmmmm. :D

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by Tht1KSguy:

Here's your chance to weigh them :D Love the wheels, but i wonder what lighter combinations are available out there in that size?

OK, got a chance to weigh the rear wheels while I swapped them back to the correct side. The wheel/tire combo wheighs in at a hefty 58lbs. Seems a bit heavy :( I also weighed a OEM 300ZX ('85) with a 225-50-15 tire and it came in at 43lbs... of course this combo is dwarfed (width wise) when put next to the 10.5" wide w/ 275-40-17 Cobra R.

great, one guy posts his three second rear disc swap, now this guy has to floss his R's on me?

great jobs both of you guyz, man oh man, im gonna do one or both swaps once i get the car running right (disc and five lug) must do it....

Originally posted by Paul R:

the roatation direction and swapped the rears side-to-side last time I had them off. Nice Catch!!

no problem. same thing happened when my friend was getting bridgestone s02s put on his 328i at wheelworks. we were walking by, and i caught the guy putting the wrong wheel on the car.

"The wheel/tire combo wheighs in at a hefty 58lbs. Seems a bit heavy :( I also weighed a OEM 300ZX ('85) with a 225-50-15 tire and it came in at 43lbs"

Thanks for the favour Paul cheers.gif , that weight's not bad at all for a strong aftermarket affordable wheel in that size ;) Anything lighter just costs lots more :confused: .

I love 17's too but haven't found the $ for the 17" rubber in my annual budget yet frown.gif , that's all that's holding me back from 'em. A bud just bought a set of 17" chromed trophies, 2nd Z bud in as many months...I'm getting stale with my 16x8 245 combo at 44 lbs :rolleyes:

As I need new treads I'm on the lookout for a deal myself rockon.gif

I love 17's too but haven't found the $ for the 17" rubber in my annual budget yet frown.gif , that's all that's holding me back from 'em. A bud just bought a set of 17" chromed trophies, 2nd Z bud in as many months...I'm getting stale with my 16x8 245 combo at 44 lbs :rolleyes:

As I need new treads I'm on the lookout for a deal myself rockon.gif [/QB]

Have you looked at the Kumho Ecsta Supras? Tirerack has the 245-45-17 for $100. They're not the stickiest tire, but I think they're a good value for the price.

Have you looked at the Kumho Ecsta Supras? Tirerack has the 245-45-17 for $100. They're not the stickiest tire, but I think they're a good value for the price.[/QB]
I have looked at them and conversed with friends that have run them here in the NW. As well as the AVS Sports, SZ50EP's, S02's, S03's etc of which I've run some myself and trusted friends the same and others. For my daily driving and trip (ie. all street uses) expectations myself and area friends/racers included have been dissapointed in the Supra's, Sports, RE730's and others. The S03's and SZ50EP's spoiled some of us and anything with noticeably less traction in wet conditions has become quite undesirable. Whether it's a hot/dry summer wknd and I'm doing a mountainous run or a wet fall day and I'm doing a fun route to head out fishing I like to enjoy my ride similarly with our high frequency of rain. (or I'm late heading for a ferry, it's pounding rain and I'm rushing along a poorly drained/puddled mountain highway!) If dry only was a greater preference I'd lean more to cheaper sets which wouldn't give up so much in dry performance (but sacrifice wet stick bigtime).

The straight line and cornering comfort I had with the SZ50's has been unparalleled to date in a non-R compound tread. I feel it gives me that much more 'fun' factor in what can otherwise be quite long/taxing workdays and anything less makes me another commuter slowly doggin along I guess :rolleyes: , I'd love to be able to slap on another set and do back to back wet runs linked to my Gtech output to see what wet traction is available in more treads. (My A032R's/Advans are great wet as well, surprised me how great they were). I've done SIR a few times in the wet and learned a lot more than I did in the dry :eek:

Thanks for the ideer Paul, if I get an opportunity to 'test' them I'll take it up:)

PS I've been prolonging my present tire replacement hoping their's a good $ option sides those above....

• 2 years later...
I tried to talk myself out of 17inch Cobra R's, but you have me sunk. would you be terribly offended if I got the same flair/wheel combo? Your car is so beautiful, i'm still laughing because it's so trick.

Ditto, I normally don't care for fender flares, but those have me hooked.

The more and more I look at your car Paul, the more I want "that" look on my Z.

Looks fantastic! I also run the same wheels on my Velo Rossa. But, I went with the chrome. I got mine on Ebay from a place in Florida. OEM replacements or replicas, something like that. The car has been rolling for a year, but I have been replacing everything on it before driving it. I just need to get the my custom driveshaft made and I'm finally going to taste the LS1 power! Still have a ton of body work to do. Anyway, here is an old pic of the wheels with 335/35/17's

normal_kit%20001%7E0.jpg

Bang for the buck, you simply can NOT beat that wheel for the fivelug conversion.

Those wheels can be had ALL DAY LONG for less than $700 sipped. Also, 17 inch tire prices have come down a lot, and I STRONGLY recommend taking a look at the Kumho EXSTA MX. Very good tire for the money!

Mike 8)

Dammmmmmmn.......after seeing the weight of some of those wheels you guys have, the 40lbs that mine weight doesnt seem so bad. Of course I only have a 225/45/17 but a 275 shouldnt make the wheel/tire combo weight 18lbs more!.................should it?

Guy