HybridZ

17x11's and 17x12's

just thought I'd share, I'm an avid autocrosser and got tired of the C5's beating me so I decided I'd try running the same tire sixe they do, I got CCW's 17x11's in front and 17x12's in the back, frotn tires are 295/40 17'd up frotn with 315/35 17's out back, the wheels have a 5" backspace up front and 6" in the back, anyone else running this big? they weight a ton, about 50 lbs each! I hate to add such a large amount of rotating mass but traction was a real issue

Picture046.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture034.jpg

the wheels are CCW, (Complete Custom Wheel) out of Daytona FL, great guys, excellent customer service, but not cheap! and not lightweight! flares ah who knows qwhatever I come across I guess, for now I just want to make sure I removed enough, my car had fliberglass fenders and quarters unlike any other I've found, very slight flare and the front appears to be intended for some special valanve that didn't come with the car, thinking I might swap to metal and just run the ZG's, pretty easy and cheap and poke out enough to cover most of the rubber

• Like 1

I've done a lot of thinking on getting this exact set-up. Currently I'm runnning 17 x 11's all the way around, but am seriously looking at increasing the backs to 12" (which is what I ran when I raced). So with the 6" backspacing: how much room is between the section width and the strut (spring, perch, or whatever is closest)? My measurements indicated about 1/4" clearance (which was about what I had during racing, and this was not enough to keep the tire from rubbing the strut through the corners).

just want to clarify, I measured the backspace on the rears and it's only 5.25? when I ordered them with john at ccw he said we'd do 6" and that it would clear, not sure why he changed his mind, there is definitely more room for backspace but not sure if 6" wil fit, I'm gonna take some more measurements and pic's in case anyone else goes this road, and for what it's worth 8" free length coil springs look to give you a bit more clearance than 10" free length, looks like you'd hit the wheel tub before you hit the strut

What tires were you running before, do you have an LSD and what tires are those?

For me it's not the Corvettes that are the problem it's the Subaru STis.

There were 4 at the last event I attended and I only beat one of them and thats only because the driver isn't very experienced or aggressive.

The only Corvette that beat me in raw time was a Z06. Very impressive car and a good driver as well.

The other vettes were 2 C6s and a C4 but the drivers aren't that good. One of the C6s actually beat me by 1/2 second comparing fastest runs but that includes one cone I hit. PAX kills me so I don't really pay much attention to those results.

Wheelman

yes I have the basic Z31 clsd, the tires are kumho V710's 295's up front and 315's in the rear, I run in EM so the vettes aren't my direct competition I just want an FTD and one modified SM2 C5 tends to get ftd most days or at least fftd, depending on the track sometimes the cmods come out ahead and sometimes not, a couple of Z06's one modified one not and another slightly modified C5 oh and one heavilly modified supra are the cars I can't seem to beat in raw time, they are all excellent drivers so if I can raw time them then I'll feel like I accomplished something

You sound just like me when I'm talking to myself in my head about who I want to beat. The local club only has a couple cars that I run against directly and they aren't much competition at this point. I run EM also and the local club groups all prepared and modified cars together.

The last event I ran against a Rotary powered Midget, an SVO Mustang and an EVO 8. The Evo driver is a good driver, beat me by a couple 100ths but will be driving an FSAE car the rest of the season so I'm in big trouble. But like I said the STis are the local terrors, the vette drivers aren't very good or the cars are stock.

I'm running Falken RT-615s, 225/50-16 size and am really happy with them. The steering is a little heavy in the slow corners so I'm considering PS, I can only imagine what you're going to deal with turning those big meats.

Wheelman

haven't driven it yet with the fatties but I doubt it'll be an issue, the 225's were hard as hell to turn when parking but in course your moving fast enough turning is pretty effortless

as for the vettes, I got to drive one of them at the end of last year and was absolutely blown away, I couldn't believe the kind of braking and turnin these cars had, it was like telepathic, low on power compared to my Z but power is easy to add, I seriously considdered buying a Z06 and start adding power, a truely amazing car, and for the price of a C5 Z06 they are a bargain, so hopefully I can now turn in as well as the vettes, I know I can outrun them in the streights, the brakes are gonna be the next challance, running 12" outlaws up front and typical rear disk swap right now

every region has their local hotshoes ours just seem to all be in vettes, great cars with great drivers