HybridZ

what to major in?

Guest Death69

Guest Death69

well, its comming close to that time for me to decide what i would like to pursue in life and how im going to do it. I just want some input on what you guys think are good majors. I was thinking mechanical engineering because i already love math and some sciences, and it would also help me better understand engines so i can better improve upon them. im open to anything though. im only in the 11th grade but id like to go to a few schools this summer ( precollege courses ) to narrow down my decision. and UTI or Wyotech are both very high on my list

There are some really good Aeronautical Engineering programs out there. Im pretty sure that the school im eventually transfering into has one (University of North Dakota). If you're into fluid dynamics, physics, and things that fly, its a great way to go. Its what i would be doing if i wasn't already going into Aviation.

when you mentioned engineering that poped into mind, but mechanical engineering is awesome too.

I'll throw one out: Geology!

Why you might ask? Well you said you did like science. Most current geologists are older, 50+ actually, and will soon be retiring. Add that with the fact that many people do not major in geology plus the ever more environmentally concious society and you get big money! Geology is a broad field and you can specialize in hydrology, oceanography, geophysics, etc etc. A lot of my friends in the department are graduating with just their BS in Geology and getting entry level positions in the high 50s, low 60s. Another friend of mine went to school for 2 more years for his masters, 70k plus starting out. Not bad to play with rocks and such. And the oppurtunites to start your own buisness, such as a consultant, are wide open, thats where the big money rolls in.

I'll throw one out: Geology!

Why you might ask? Well you said you did like science. Most current geologists are older, 50+ actually, and will soon be retiring.

i wish i could say the same about Aviation. With the way the idustry is headed, There is gonna be soo much competition by the time i start looking for jobs its unreal. I'll probably just do small time work like Mission aviation or charter stuff and build up my hours. The days of company's hiring straight out of schools is dwindling fast. Even the military, save for the army, is harder than ever to get an officer commision...let alone a pilot slot.

i wonder if saturn is hiring....hehe yay for $100k pointless degree

anyway Geology is a great idea. like many scientific jobs, most people in those professions are soon retiring. (my grandpa retired about 5 years ago from various forms of engineering (radar, aeronautical, electrical, and communications) really intersting stuff, talking about his job with him. But anyway that is seeming like the trend as many more students are training for jobs that don't yet exist. and many of the rest, like geology are getting overlooked.

Hi,

Good Majors?

How about a skilled trade that you can turn into a business for yourself?

I'm talking about Tiles, electrical, some kind of industrial repair.

What? Not a 4 year degree , you ( and your parents ) gasp!

I'm not so confident that an engineering degree is a good bet these days.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Computer Science degree , U.C. Berkeley.

I have a job in the technical side of the movie industry. A very narrow niche.

I would worry about out the sourcing of your job. In So. Cal , engineers make about 1/2 of a guy that does a skilled trade business. I don't think the college reps and recruiters like to talk about that ;)

It's regarded as being low class, uncouth.

However, if you are a talented engineer, then you will do OK.

Something to think about! ( *scary* stuff, I know ! )

-Les

-(73 240Z , 327 chevy converting to LT1.)-

well, its comming close to that time for me to decide what i would like to pursue in life and how im going to do it. I just want some input on what you guys think are good majors. I was thinking mechanical engineering because i already love math and some sciences, and it would also help me better understand engines so i can better improve upon them. im open to anything though. im only in the 11th grade but id like to go to a few schools this summer ( precollege courses ) to narrow down my decision. and UTI or Wyotech are both very high on my list

i was going to go the same route you were going to...but i look at it like this...

plan: own my own company and not let it run into the ground

i figure that i can learn how to run a successful company and hire the engineers.

that way i can learn about all-things-car-related from HybridZ rather than a classroom! (more fun and cheaper too!)

but i get different sides of the argument (grandpa is an engineer)

moral of the story: more ways than one to skin a cat (while enjoying what your doing!)

...to each his own...

It boils down to where you want to live and what you want to do with your life...

I'll throw this one out, since I own a company and hire people for a living...

Degrees are nice. Degrees are not always necessary. I'll hire someone who has no degree, but lots of hands on experience any day of the week... Because I can spend (And do) $10K per year on the employees education and training needs. Pick a career path that isn't slammed full of other candidates to compete for work in your area. If you live in Michigan and want to be a mechanical engineer and work at one of the big-three, you're gonna have some stiff competition. Find a field where you'll have relative good chance for success, and less competition.

I like Sparks' comment about geology... There's a smart man, thinking right there. If you like the sciences, and don't want to always be stuck behind a desk, there's a good bet that you'll be able to have a good career, and lots of fun at work...

I'd also caution anyone thinking about anything computer related... Make sure you are living in an area where hi-tech computing is needed... or plan to move. My oldest went to ecpi technical institute and got an associates degree in computer science. He was hired right out of school and two years later he's making over $50K per year, and the ripe old age of 22. The company that hired him is going to pay for his bachelors, and continues to send him to school for training certifications. If he ever gets a clearance, he'll be able to nearly double his current income as a Unix System Administrator. But he's living in an area where these types of skills are needed, and companies pay huge for the skills...

You've got time to think about what you want to do... I know that I changed my mind many times, and still wonder what I'll do when I grow up! :2thumbs:

Mike

Best piece of advice I can give you is to set up your company structure so that it can run without you. Make sure you hire people outside of family and friends. Keeping this seperated is important, although my best friend is my partner in the company, we won't hire anyone else who is related to either of us.

Make sure you have an accounting firm to do your taxes/bookkeeping/payroll outside of family and friends. Make sure you have structured your benefits such that they can expand as you grow. Make sure you have policies and proceedures documented for your employees and keep them in manuals, approved by your attorney and HR consultant... Make sure you can isolate yourself from the day to day operations, so you can focus on growing the company, and running the business side of whatever it is you do. You want to have a successful company that will work? Stay out of the workplace, and do NOT micromanage your people. If you do this, you might as well let them go and do the work yourself.

The best thing I ever could have done is start my own company. Our quality of life has improved 10fold. That said, it takes risk, hard work, late nights, and good people. Surround yourself with good people and a great business plan and you will succeed. But skimp on one or the other, and you will fail...

Prepare for high costs... A full service CPA will cost you... ours was costing us $2000 per month, because we used their business coaching services from the beginning... The information we learned early on was more valuable than I can place a figure on. That said, once we got a grasp on it all, we dropped the business coaching service and now pay as we use them. Make sure you cover all you legal groundwork... Do you know what it will cost to setup a business? DO you know all of the places you have to register your company with? Do you know what tax liabilities you'll be responsible for and to whome you pay?

I didn't... Our CPA did. One less thing I had to worry about, which let me focus more on setting up the other, more important parts of the company.

Contact me offline for more insight into standing up a company...

Mike

i was going to go the same route you were going to...but i look at it like this...

i figure that i can learn how to run a successful company and hire the engineers.

that way i can learn about all-things-car-related from HybridZ rather than a classroom! (more fun and cheaper too!)

moral of the story: more ways than one to skin a cat (while enjoying what your doing!)

...to each his own...

General studies for the first 2 years and then decide. Unless things have changed you are not required to declare a major until your jr. or sr year. Lots of things will happen between the time you enter college until you graduate. Few students graduate with the major they started as freshman. Don't take courses that apply to a single major otherwise you may need to take extra courses toward a major you never intended to study.

Personally, I started in a major in biology intending to be a cell biologist and ended up in pharmacy school. (University of Houston, BS, 1971) No regrets though. BS biologist at the time were making 8K/yr and pharmacist was making 12K. Now BS biologist are making $ 10.00-$15/hr and pharmacist are at $45-50/hr.

Take your time and study, study, study!

Good Luck

Guest Death69

...to each his own...

well thats kinda what my dad does. hes a civil engineer and manager of a division of a company that is resonsible for over seeing 200 million dollars worth of operations. he just decided how to get water more efficiently to homes and what not. but once you get up that high on hte ladder, you are no longer really doing any more actual engineering. and it might sound weird but i would rather have a lower paying job that i actually get to do what i want then a high paying job that im bored at ( yea i know, im a rare one ). but i will check out geology because i actually do find that interesting.

and that was already kinda my plan, go to to a jc for 2 years to get everything out of the way then transfer to a bigger school. saves me some money.

An engineering degree is gold these days. Electrical typically pays more than mechanical. Chemical engineering salarys fluctuate to a large extent with oil prices but are often at the top of the heap.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/15/pf/college/starting_salaries/

If you want to talk about a reitrement boom, look into defense aerospace engineering jobs. This is a growing concern in the industry. The company I work for routinely makes offers in the 70's for new graduates. The other huge issue is you can't outsource jobs that require security clearances. A huge growth industry post 9/11.

And yeah, you don't need a 4 year degree to do well in life, but the odds are hugely in your favor if you have one. Do a little research on what a doctorates is worth in terms of life long earnings.

Geologist is a good, rewarding job. But be prepared to make considerably less right out of school than what your engineering buddies will

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/VitaRymaruk.shtml

Plus I would imagine the majority of the high paying geologist jobs are working for the oil companies and not digging up dinosaur bones.

If you want to talk about a reitrement boom, look into defense aerospace engineering jobs. This is a growing concern in the industry. The company I work for routinely makes offers in the 70's for new graduates. The other huge issue is you can't outsource jobs that require security clearances. A huge growth industry post 9/11.

yup...this is exactly what my grandpa was doing. super interesting stuff. (he was one of those in charge of the design for the radar on apolo 11)

Although I do not disagree that a bachelors, or advanced degree is going to bring you more income, I will say this:

MOST people graduate from a four year institute with WAY MORE debt than is reasonable. Why not let an employer (Like ME for instance) pay for your education while you work for them? There's simply no reason in this day and age for people to pay their own way through bachelors and especially advanced degrees.

Find an employer who will take care of you, and then take care of them. It's a big happy cycle, if you can find it!

Mike

An engineering degree is gold these days. Electrical typically pays more than mechanical. Chemical engineering salarys fluctuate to a large extent with oil prices but are often at the top of the heap.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/15/pf/college/starting_salaries/

And yeah, you don't need a 4 year degree to do well in life, but the odds are hugely in your favor if you have one. Do a little research on what a doctorates is worth in terms of life long earnings.

Geologist is a good, rewarding job. But be prepared to make considerably less right out of school than what your engineering buddies will

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/VitaRymaruk.shtml

Plus I would imagine the majority of the high paying geologist jobs are working for the oil companies and not digging up dinosaur bones.

Pop is right, right out of school engineer you make more. But if you read the figures in Pops link the geologist salaries seem to grow exponentially with experience. "10-14 years : $132,000"

Over 100k a year with 10 years experince, thats what? being 32-33 making that much money? Sounds pretty descent. Another thing I would like to mention is its real hard to make good money working for someone else. Sure, you are going to have to but in some time to get experience and all, then you can start your own buisness. Perfect example is my father and guys like Mikelly.

MOST people graduate from a four year institute with WAY MORE debt than is reasonable. Why not let an employer (Like ME for instance) pay for your education while you work for them? There's simply no reason in this day and age for people to pay their own way through bachelors and especially advanced degrees.

I thought the same thing as well, but decided to stay at it. I did transfer schools though, from Northwestern to U of A. The amount of debt I would be in when I would graduate from U of A is peanuts compared to NU. Sure the name recognition isn't as good, but it's not a bad engineering school either.

I figured there was no good reason to graduate a school for a bachelors degree and be $100,000 in debt (and this was with a $30k a year scholarship). At the rate it is going here at U of A, if (or when) I get a decent job WHILE in school I might have almost no debt at all (well, for U of A... still have to pay some NU loans).

If you want to be an engineer then go for it. Just be that. Most schools require about 1-2yrs of basic engineering classes before you actually start to focus on your major. By then you would have seen so many different things that this decision might be easier.

That said I've change my major like 4 times, still engineering though ;)

I'm doing Electrical Engineering with a Computer Engineering and Mathematics minor. Thanks to a friendly exchange with mikeatrpi I think I might stick with this major. My problem is too much unfocused interest in what the university sees as unrelated majors haha. My friends consider me a jack of all trades and I pretty much hated deciding and sticking to a major. I figured that most EE majors do all right money wise so I will be able to support all my other interests when I'm older :)

So good luck! I'm about to finish my sophmore year of college but have enough credits to be halfway between a junior and a senior, and I'm taking classes in the summer too while working. AND I want to do a lot of work on my Z too!

Mario

Guest Death69

yea, the whole debt thing kinda sucks. my dads what me to go to UMR like he did so it can be cheaper (alumni thing), but i really dont want to leave california. it sucks how college in america is like that.