HybridZ

2 year project...from high school to now. *pics*

well i havn't really posted up all that much about my project on here, but i guess since the project of the car is coming to an end i would share what i've been doin for the past two years.

This is my description of the project that i posted on another forum, thought i'd save some time

linky

STORY:

I got this car from a friend in 2005 during my junior year in HS. Paid $200. At first i only got it because i fell in love with the car the first time i saw it (literally, didn't know datsun made a sports car before then), and it was too good of a deal to let go.

Soon after i decided to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I would use the car for my Culminating Senior Project in high school, and that would in turn give me motivation and a goal to work towards. Although i didn't finish the car in time, i still had more than enough work into it to present my progress in the project.

So after purchasing the car, i drove it about a mile to my house....then havn't gotten to drive it since :( *except on and off the trailer*

IMG_0042-2.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

I soon began diving into the project and began taking apart the interior. There were the obvious things...no carpet, cracked dashboard, torn seat covers, and decaying steering wheel from the california sun (don't ask me how a steering wheel decays, i don't know either)

christmas2005044.jpg

christmas2005046.jpg

To my surprise there was extremely little rust. some surface spots here and there, but the only real rust was in the hatch area. Both the hatch and the panel had to be replaced.

christmas2005035.jpg

christmas2005037.jpg

Next order of business was the suspension. Both front struts had siezed up, and the rear's were on their last leg. So i went with Tokico's Illumina 5-way adjustable struts. Found a good deal on ebay, and figured why not?. Also replaced the brake master cylinder, front calipers, and rear brake hoses at this time.

danielcar021.jpg

danielcar012-1.jpg

Everything up to this point were all things that needed to be done to simply have a decently driving car, that wouldn't fall apart on me. But i wanted something more than that. I was looking for a daily driver that i would enjoy driving as much as i enjoyed just being in the car. This meant that the interior was gonna need a little help.

I started off by installing a dash cap to hide those cracks, and give the dash a renewed look.

IMG_0094.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

Then i customized the doors to house a set of 6" front speakers.

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

Got a nice new set of seat covers (bottoms not shown)

S7000201.jpg

And installed a new Alpine stereo and rear speaker box with Infinity 'Reference' 6x9's *previous owner had an old sony stereo with computer speakers lying in the back, it worked but music is one of my big passions, so had to put a little into that area*

S7000215.jpg

Also got some a carpet set, but no photos since it's still in the box.

Next was the body work. I started by sanding down the original paint, and filled the side-strip holes with a layer of bondo.

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

S7000059.jpg

I shaved the holes in the rear by covering them from behind with fiberglass then filling them with fiberglass re-inforced bondo, then regular bondo to smooth it all out.

DSC00896-1.jpg

DSC00912-1.jpg

DSC00918-1.jpg

DSC00940-1.jpg

DSC00944-1.jpg

Finally i was ready to take it to the body shop to have things finished up by a professional.

S7000064.jpg

Notice hand polished grill, and new MSA type II air dam to replace the front "sea anchor"

S7000062.jpg

Getting a low z car onto high trailer....Take I *actually ended up finding out that trailers make great see-saws when not hitched properly* oops

S7000069.jpg

Take II....had to think this time. Used a nearby driveway to get the angle right.

S7000071.jpg

At the body shop, getting smoothed out

S7000073-2.jpg

Back home from the body shop. Primered and ready to be blocked out.

S7000113.jpg

S7000111.jpg

More sanding...

S7000121.jpg

S7000119.jpg

S7000208.jpg

Also Installed a K+N intake.

S7000212.jpg

having some fun...

S7000135.jpg

Back at the body shop for the final time. New layer of primer sprayed and being blocked out. I was working on some of the smaller tasks at this point, sanding down under the hood, door jambs, etc.

S7000402.jpg

S7000409.jpg

apparently the last person to paint the car didn't do much prep under the hood and after i spent a good amount of time getting it all nicely sanded with 400#, we notice some of the paint starting to flake off...this is what we ended up with. DOH! (all good now though)

S7000407.jpg

So right now she's in the paint booth ready to get sprayed tommorow. color is gonna be Daytona Blue of the 350z. Beautiful color IMHO, and should look pretty nice on the Z.

I'll take some pictures tommorow and post them up.

Thanks for looking.

i've been working on my current project for about a year now...motor swap, body work and paint is all thats left for the appearance of it. god only knows how long it'll be before the turbo motor goes in. it's good knowing there is guys my age on the board, i was starting to feel lonely....anyway nice car man thats pretty close to the color i'll be painting mine.

thanks guys! its really come a long way...never would have thought it would get a paint job like this to top it off...but im glad i forked out the cash for it.

Whats the plan for the motor?

well for now just stock NA...maybe a 60mm TB or something like that.

since, like i said above, i've pretty much never driven the car...i want to understand the car perfectly before i start adding more power.

though eventually i'll go turbo. i'd like to build something that will push about 350-400hp...probably 400 being my max...but im sure that can change as i get to know the car, and what i'll be able to handle.

also, i see you're in spokane...thats awesome cause im moving out there at the end of the summer for flight training at Spokane Falls. :D

also, i see you're in spokane...thats awesome cause im moving out there at the end of the summer for flight training at Spokane Falls. :D

Ill be going to Spokane Falls this fall for running start. Itll be nice to have another Z in Spokane. Hopefully Ill have my car finished by the end of summer.

Looks good! I Love the color. quick question tho with the fiberglass and bondo mix on the rear end dont you fear that cracking? I only ask as I am looking into this option for my cars rear end, and to this point that has been the only thing holding me back from shaving it.

^^ too much haha

as far as the rear goes, im not too worried about it. i only used just enough to cover the holes..though it does look alot thicker in the pictures.

also, the body shop i took it to layed their own layer over the whole panel, and im pretty sure i should be safe with it. Time will tell though.

but if you're looking for a way to do it, without welding (i had no access to a welder, or someone who could weld)...its a great easy way to go.

Well guys, its not done yet...but it is back home and PAINTED!!

no pics of the doors, hood, hatch, or air dam cause they're still at the body shop.

im gonna wait about a week before i start wet sanding/buffing. then i have to install the glass, weatherstripping, doors, hatch, hood.

Also gotta wire in the stereo and speakers. and put the interior back together.

But anyway, here is what 350z Daytona Blue looks like on an S30 280z!!

S7000481.jpg

S7000504.jpg

S7000532.jpg

S7000516.jpg

So what do ya think?? I'll keep it updated as i get it back together.

Guest 280ZForce

damn man, love the progress... did an excellent job on the body/prep work as far as I can tell and the paint color looks awesome! good luck on getting it all back together.

Awesome job...and you're how old??? Amazing, like someone above said there is hope for the younger generation. Love the color. You should be very proud of your work and sticking with this project for this long is commendable.