HybridZ

1996 vintage 240Z

Thanh

You must be young. Years ago, Nissan bought up many 240-280's and rebuilt them from the ground up. I think they sold for $15,000 rebuilt by Nissan. They ran an ad campaign with a picture of a yellow 240Z. It said something like, "No power windows, no power steering, no power seats, all sports car." Or something like that. I believe they had no trouble selling all the cars they rebuilt.

You must be young. Years ago, Nissan bought up many 240-280's and rebuilt them from the ground up. I think they sold for $15,000 rebuilt by Nissan. They ran an ad campaign with a picture of a yellow 240Z. It said something like, "No power windows, no power steering, no power seats, all sports car." Or something like that. I believe they had no trouble selling all the cars they rebuilt.

Actually from what I remember, they had plans to do that with all the way up to Z31's, but they didn't sell many of them. Mainly because they were over $25k. I know, I went down to the dealership to see one, it was a '71. It had a '72 console, and a bunch of mismatched year's parts on 'em. I'm sorry, but for that kind of money the thing better be correct. It was a nice idea, but just too much money.

If it had been $15k, I would have considered it.

Yep, it was a decade ago! They bought up a ton of original 240s (only '70 & 71s) and contracted Classis Datsun to do full restorations. I can't see spending real money like that for a '70s technology 240Z, but would have liked one with more "modern enhancements", if you know what I mean. :) Getting all those new & reman stuff would be cool. Of course, you could get financing for the $22K+ dollars they went for.

The info you're speculating about is in the article embedded in the ebay listing... I'll quote it for you, it's accuracy or validity is not guaranteed.

"On May 3rd at the U.S. Headquarters of Nissan Motors in Gardena, CA they introduced the first of the factory-refurbished 240 Z's. Introduced in 1970 the sticker price of a New 240Z was $3,526, the refurbished Z's will run $24,950. The cars, 200 of them, are being done by Pierre'Z Service Center in Southern CA. And will be sold through 10 Nissan dealers designated as "Z Stores".

After the Z's were selected from across the country (many came from Arizona and areas similar due to the more rust free condition) they are fully disassembled, then each part is inspected and inventoried. The unibody is inspected, repaired if necessary and then dipped and painted. From there any parts needing replaced are ordered (yes they have access to parts we don't). Everything is kept as original with the exception of tires, (hard to find the original size) and a few other suspension parts (busings, struts). The other difference is a small sticker on the quarter window and an emblem on the center console designating it as an official Nissan refurbished Z.

Nissan cut the restorations off after about 40 cars were completed. Short of their initial goal of 200 they still definatly managed to remind people of the part that the 240Z played in automotive history."

I saw a picture of all the 240Z "rollers" that were ugly infront of the shop and they had to be chained together so nobody would take them. I'll have to dig up some old issues of Z Car Magazine, which did an article on the program. Still probably cheaper than doing one yourself.

I saw a picture of all the 240Z "rollers" that were ugly infront of the shop and they had to be chained together so nobody would take them. I'll have to dig up some old issues of Z Car Magazine, which did an article on the program. Still probably cheaper than doing one yourself.

The whole point of the program was so you didn't have to do it yourself. It did sell well.

Classis Datsun and Pierre Z did most of the restorations with Datsun Alley finishing up the last few and handling warranty repairs. One of the reasons the restored cars didn't sell very well (per a salesman I talked with at Courtesy Nissan) was that the restored cars drove like a car from the 70's (surprise!) and a lot of potential buyers who thought the cars were "cute" ended up buying an Altima or a Maxima.

That's exactly what I was talking about. I drove a friends original 63,000 mile 510 and it was flat-out scary. When a sign said "25 mph" for a corner, you had to take it at 25 mph! Hard paying real money for a car that doesn't handle well, doesn't drive nice (compared to newer stuff) and is "stock". We all know "Friends don't let friends drive stock!!" :) While it may be entertaining to drive, it's not what I'd call "fun".

Oh man. We ought to pool together some bucks then do an internet V8 swap on that thing. Post regular updates on zcar.com and watch all those dildos pee all over themselves.

I like the way you think!

I can hear it now, it won't handel, it won't turn, it won't stop, you've ruined the value,

Actually I have heard it before. I'm in.

Oh man. We ought to pool together some bucks then do an internet V8 swap on that thing. Post regular updates on zcar.com and watch all those dildos pee all over themselves.

Dont wanna butcher a collectors car especially when its 100% original. We can always do it another Z like mine :P.

Yep, it was a decade ago! They bought up a ton of original 240s (only '70 & 71s) and contracted Classis Datsun to do full restorations. I can't see spending real money like that for a '70s technology 240Z, but would have liked one with more "modern enhancements", if you know what I mean. :) Getting all those new & reman stuff would be cool. Of course, you could get financing for the $22K+ dollars they went for.

Gary,

Back in 2002 I flew to Michigan to buy a factory restored 240Z car. It was a 1972. (I guess they did a few 72's) It only had 3000 miles on it since it was completed and it was not in the shape it was described to be in. I passed on the car for $17K. Too bad. I think I could have made money on it if I had bought it and held it for a few years. But then I wouldn't have my LS1 240Z and I would nver have enjoyed that resto Z as much.

That's exactly what I was talking about. I drove a friends original 63,000 mile 510 and it was flat-out scary. When a sign said "25 mph" for a corner, you had to take it at 25 mph! Hard paying real money for a car that doesn't handle well, doesn't drive nice (compared to newer stuff) and is "stock". We all know "Friends don't let friends drive stock!!" :) While it may be entertaining to drive, it's not what I'd call "fun".

Gary,

I have a stock 70 2door 510 and it handled like a brick. I put a set of 14" x 6" ZX wheels on it with Falken Azenis RT615's 195-60-14 and now the 25MPH turns can be done at 45-50mph. The rest of it is stock . Amazing how a set of wheels and tires can make a car handle.

The Vintage Z's were very nicely done cars, but they weren't "correct" restorations. You could find a number of incorrect things on the one I used to own. It ran, drove, and looked just like it was brand new, and had an awesome paint job. That car made me realize I am an enthusisist, not a collector. When you've got a perfect paint job, it can only go downhill, rock chips, door dings, etc. I owned it two yrs and put 600 miles on the clock.

jt

As I recall,although they did sell them all,it was not a real good thing for Nissan.The price tag ballooned from 20 to 26k and the finished product though nice,was not ACCURATE.The cost to restore the cars supposedly went past the selling price even after the increase.Most of the early restorations were spoken for and I think a deposit left,but the rest were a tough sell.Kind of reminds me of some of our SEZ shootouts,a lot of talk and interest,but not quite enough people coming through in the pinch to justify 2 yearly events.I could not justify 25k or more for any stock 240Z,as much as I like em'.I have seen some VERY nice examples,original,over the years for much,much less.The prices are going up and the nicer ones are dwindleing down but still...27k gets you a heck of a car nowadays.I say 10-15k is fair,but then again,who am I to put a price on somebodys dream....