HybridZ

Finally building my dream car.

Hi all! I just joined a few weeks ago to start reading and learning about a car I was considering buying; a 72 240. Well, I got the car at a great price and Im starting to work out all the kinks. It will be setup with a quick-reving 283 bored 60+ over on a nitrous diet. The combo i'm throwing together should put out around 360 on the motor and i'd like to run a 150-250 shot at the track. I'm really loving this car! It'll be my dayly driver. Right now I have my hands full with wiring but I was very lucky to get an almost rust-free car. I have alot of plans for this project. I'll take it all one-step at a time and keep you all posted. I've wanted a 240 ever since I was 12 and now I finally have it! :-D It's great that there are sites like this with all the best information in the world.

-chvyzl1

Guest 280ZForce

welcome to HBZ... now get that Z together and going so you can make the meets and drive the thing. No pressure of course...lol.

JK man, dont be shy around here. we're all here to help and most of us are friendly as long as you search before you ask and if you have to ask, you ask nicely and punctuate correctly for the most part and not 1 big long run on sentence.

See you around and good luck with your project. I know you'll love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122298

I figure I'll post updates in the members projects area as not to steal the spotlight from the sick cars on this forum that deserve the attention. lol Btw, what intake to you guys think i should run. I've heard the edlebrok rpm air-gap is nice for the street but I'm really wanting some more in the high-rpm range. low speed torque isn't a huge issue but I don't want a tunnel ram lol :lol:

Also if anyone is interested in the original motor and trans take a look in the for sale section. Im almost ready to give it away to anyone that can come pick it up asking $50.

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=4454&cat=16

If you want to make 360hp with a 283 you're going to need a single plane intake. Also, I don't run nitrous but I think I remember reading that nitrous on a dual plane intake (like the air gap) is a nono.

I'm starting to think single plane also... looking at the torker II. It has an advertised power band of 2500-6000 but on my motor would probably be closer to 3000-7000 which is perfect. :-D

Hey what shifter are you going to use in the car. I have been looking for an original automatic shifter if your gonna use something different

I'm actually going to be using an after market ratchet-shifter so feel free to PM me if your interested in the factory one. :wink:

I once had a Torquer II, and replaced it with a Victor JR (this was on a 350) and the Victor JR had what felt to be quite a bit more power, especially in the upper revs. The only problem is whether you have room under the hood or not since the Victor is a bit taller.

So even for a street motor you guys are suggesting the victor jr? :ugg:

For my motor, with a lack of bottom end to start with, i'd think that intake would be overkill; flow-wise at least. it is just a 292... even at 7000 rpm with 90% VE it only needs around 600cfm.

I'm completely confident in the strength of this block. I knew a guy that ran a 250 shot on a stock 283 rotating assembly. When the engine finally did died after 4 runs it was from a rod not the block (he didn't care... he had a 383 lined up). Which model scorpion intake do you have? I believe there where four versions ranging from 4500-7500 to 2500-6500. Do you have a part #? Or even if you could PM me with a picture or something? I'd definitely be interested. Thanks!

I have run a lot of n20 with a dual plane intake without any problems. 150 to 275 shot.

why build a 283? A 350 will rev just as high. I shift mine at 7200 rpms. You are giving up 80 ftlb of torque and 70 hp by using a 283 instead of a 350. That is 1/2 of the n20 shot you plan on using! Plus after market performance parts are geared for 350 and larger engines. Hard to build compression with a 283 with flat tops and 64 cc heads. Domes will be required and that is bad for flame travel and adds a lot of weight. And as you already know, a big port intake and a little engine kills torque even more. Let me guess.... is this a S&M thing?

Guest VietVet
I'm completely confident in the strength of this block. I knew a guy that ran a 250 shot on a stock 283 rotating assembly. When the engine finally did died after 4 runs it was from a rod not the block (he didn't care... he had a 383 lined up). Which model scorpion intake do you have? I believe there where four versions ranging from 4500-7500 to 2500-6500. Do you have a part #? Or even if you could PM me with a picture or something? I'd definitely be interested. Thanks!

Hello: I'm a new guy on this site... But I read the above. In a light car like a Z - the power should satisfy.

I'm a generation before the Baby Boomers = 1944

But we had a great time with the 1955 265's and the 1957 283's - Er when they were new. About 1960 - 1961 I had the good fortune to work part time at Bell Auto Parts in Bell California. I was still in High School and had a after school job 4:00 to 9:00 pm cranking out Cragar Wheels.. I studied home work between set-ups.

My friend Mickey S. had his mom's 55 three speed column shift at home - it was some how sporting a 4 barrel aluminum manifold and Carb..

It was fun but just a stop light racer. Our supervisor at Bell - Don Akenpha ( American Indian ) had a Black 57 Chevy Nomad which was much more. As the top machinist at Bell, he had a NA 283 - with a special manifold.. He had to shut off the motor and flip a solinoid switch that moved a set of pullies to engage a 461 Root's type blower. The car was alway's covered with a parachute in his house's garage.

A lot of street races in those day's and Don took home more than his share of Bets and Dollars. A dollar bought a lot in 1961 - 1962.

A 283 reconditioned is more than enough to power a little old Z-Car.

Most of the guy's have more power than traction.. Opps I forgot I'm the newbie here..

Any way have fun.. and you seem to be a quick learner. There are a lot of brains with plenty of experience here. Enjoy..

Cheers VietVet AKA VietVet68 ( 1944 Model )

:) - :)