HybridZ

LSD Differential Cooler Question

Mayolives

I installed a small Setrab oil cooler with a pump and plumbed it into an R200, lsd differential cover. The fluid capacity of the cooler and it's AN lines is 10 fluid oz. If I add the additional 10 oz of gear oil to the system, will this cause the rear end seals to leak when the pump is not running and most of the gear oil is in the differential?

Tom,

I doubt 10 ounces will make a big enough difference in the oil level to cause problems, even if all 10 ounces end up in the diff.

Where did you mount the cooler? Got any pics?

I have been pondering some of the finer points to this as well.

The larger capacity finned cover will allow for the increased amount of oil better than the standard cover I am using in my system.

I was told that a good cooler with low internal volume and -6 lines running to it, would not seriously impact fluid level in the differential. This was from a BMW car builder and they have relatively large capacity rear covers on all their diffs.

He said to warm everything up for a few laps and then turn on the system pump. Then... Come back in and recheck the fluid-level with the pump running. That will account for oil expansion and the fluid in the cooler system.

I originally thought I would mount the pump and cooler low in the car to keep them even with the fluid level in the diff. I seems that this is not very practical. I am also concerned with the fact that some of these pump's motors don't appear to be weather sealed.

A check valve might slowly drain back while the car is stored for weeks of time.

I also considered a draw through filter for the system(magnetic).

I mounted the cooler and pump behind the fuel cell at the rear of the car. The pump is actually mounted on the rear tip of the frame rail. I used - 8 an lines to plumb the system to the diff cover and switched the pump. Here are a few pictures.

HPIM0756.jpg

HPIM0758.jpg

setrab.jpg

Tom, if the seals are in good shape I don't think you'll have a problem. Think when you jack up the front or rear of the car, the oil doesn't run out then, and it's about the same deal.

You need to get some air ducted to the cooler...:D

jt

Guest Mystic Terminator

I suggest a check valve and inline filter/strainer. Suction side on Diff to inline strainer, then cooler, and then pump (So the pump will see the cooler temps). Then on the return side try and loop the hose above the diff if possible so drain back into the diff will be minimum.

JT1, Thanks for the input. We know that a large amount of air passes under the body at speed, and I hope this will provide the proper air circulation needed by the cooler. June temps at Roebling Road should be a good test. I will probably not run the rear diffuser there due to all the latest work I've done under the rear of the car and needing to keep an eye on things. We are in the process of redesigning the diffuser to make it a little more open at the differential area and to make it more "jack" friendly. I wanted to give things a shake down run at CMP this month but I'm in "custom axle production waiting jail" but hope to be out in a few weeks.

John, The pump motor is sealed from the elements but there is no fan for the cooler. The air movement at speed should be enough to make the system effective. If not, I will duct some air down there somehow.

Rudypoochris, IMHO, I doubt the pressure from internal components of the rear end would move a substantial amount of gear oil through an external cooler system. If it did produce pressure, we would be plagued with seal leaks.

I'm curious to see how much it reduces the temps. I bet it will be a lot, but how much? Also, that brings up the question what's a desirable range for temps?

All I can say about mine is it gets way to hot to touch, like burn you hot.

jt

This also brings up another question. How hot is too hot for the gear oil? I'm using Synergyn II synthetic, as specified by the differential's manufacturer. Their web site does not discuss a safe maximum operating temperature . I have emailed them and ask for this information.

Guest Mystic Terminator
If someone does know, could they please comment on whether or not the pressure off the back of the ring gear can supply adequate flow through an oil cooler?

It will not.

Synthetic oil is synthetic oil whether its 90W or 10W. 280F working temp and 300F max temp.

And what temps are the seals good for? What type of center section on the Diff? If it has clutches, the cooler the better. General rule of thumb for us Ford guys, 220 desireable, 250 max.

If it is.. What brand did you buy?

Looks like a Tilton motor/pump combination.

Just wondering... Why doesn't anyone use the gear itself to turn the fluid... or is there not enough pressure. I would imagine at speed the ring gear should be kicking a good amount of fluid out the back, if a hole was tapped there wouldn't the fluid flow?

Agree, use a high mounted catcher, should work. Unless you are doing a 24 hour race in the desert ;)

I finally spoke to someone at Synergyn Oil Company and I was told that although Synergyn Oil does not advertise or speak of a maximum operating temperature in their product literature. Synergyn II Synthetic Gear Oil has been put to the practical test in most forms of racing, including NASCAR and off road racing, that see extremely high operating temperatures (over 300 degrees for extended time periods) and have not experienced any problems related to the product itself. They do recommend frequent oil changes when used in differentials and transmissions that see extreme temperatures. Both Quaife and and G Force recommend Synergyn II gear oil to be used in their products.