HybridZ

Killing a wild boar

rudypoochris

If the gun has no serial numbers engraved (ie. from US importer), it doesn't really get registered. However, legality of it is that if he has a Curio & Relic license, he can legally sign it out without going through an FFL dealer.

As far as legal registration of rifles in california, a licensed dealer (gun shop, etc) will hold rifle for 11 days during a background check. You are finger printed, fill out info, submit driver's license, etc for review. Then you pick it up in 11 days.

transporting your firearm means that it has to be in a locked compartment. Rifle case, or locking trunk with no access through the hatch. Either way, ammo and magazines have to be transported ina separate compartment.

very nice piece.

Call Irvington Arms in fremont, and you can get legality info on such transfers there. The guys are cool and won't hound on you if you did something wrong. They're also a good place for milsurp ammo.

40927 Grimmer Boulevard

Fremont, CA

Phone: (510) 226-7910

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

transporting your firearm means that it has to be in a locked compartment. Rifle case, or locking trunk with no access through the hatch. Either way, ammo and magazines have to be transported ina separate compartment.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to get accurate information, but do you know where that sort of stuff is written down?

I have had people tell me things like this before. When I lived in CA and was trying to figure out how to drive to the pistol range in my Z (which has no trunk or even separate compartments for guns and ammo) I had an impossible time verifying exactly what the laws were.

I even called half a dozen police stations and got half a dozen different answers. They were obviously making things up. But I figured if the cops don't know the rules then my only real hope was to do what makes sense.

from gunlaw.com

PUBLISHED BY

THE LAW OFFICES OF

BRUCE COLODNY

GunLaw.COM

REVISED © 2006

Since 1982 I have represented gun owners throughout California and one thing hasn't changed. The most frequent telephone call from a gun owner who has recently been arrested or cited involves firearms in a motor vehicle.

So you might ask, "How do I legally carry firearms in my car, truck or motor home?" First, under California law the firearm must be unloaded and the legal definition of a loaded firearm depends upon the circumstances. Under most circumstances, Under Penal Code §12025(g) applies and a firearm is considered loaded when there is a live round of ammunition " . . . in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm . . . " For example, a semi-automatic handgun with an empty firing chamber and a loaded magazine inserted in the magazine well is considered loaded.

Second, in addition to being unloaded, the Penal Code provides additional requirements for the legal transportation of handguns in motor vehicles. Handguns must either be kept in plain sight*, locked in the vehicle's trunk, or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment. Locked container means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. Note, these additional requirements also apply to the transportation of registered "Assault Weapons".

"Utility compartment" is not defined in the Penal Code, a handgun should not be transported in the center console (even if locked) nor in the storage area present behind the rear seat in most "hatchback" type automobiles. Due to the uncertainty in current California law, I also advise people against the use of the various storage compartments found in today's popular sport utility vehicles. If you drive a pickup truck should you put an unloaded handgun in a locked cross-bed toolbox bolted to the bed behind the cab? As you can see this is a "gray" area, so to be cautious, I advise against this. While most of us would consider a cross-bed toolbox to be the functional equivalent of a vehicle's trunk, remember the Penal Code does provide an exception for vehicle trunks, yet it specifically prohibits the use of, and does not define, a "utility" compartment.

At this point many of you are probably thinking, "My vehicle doesn't have a trunk, so where do I put my unloaded handgun?" The answer? Use a locking hard case. Locking hard cases for handguns are available at reasonable cost and when used correctly (i.e. when the handgun is unloaded and the case is locked) are the best method to ensure compliance with California law. Even if your vehicle does have a trunk I still recommend the use of a locked hard case.

When driving a motor home it is treated as a motor vehicle and you must transport your firearms as I have outlined above. However, when you are camping in your motor home it may be treated as a residence. The Penal Code prohibition against carrying a loaded firearm provides an exception for a temporary residence or campsite. Unfortunately, the terms temporary residence or campsite are not defined so this is another "gray" area. If you have entered an established campground and hooked up, this should qualify as a temporary residence or campsite, however, if you have merely pulled into a highway rest stop to sleep for a few hours this is not likely to qualify. If you were prosecuted for having a loaded firearm in your motor home, the issue of whether you were at a temporary residence or campsite would be a "question of fact" to be decided by a jury. One final word of caution on firearms in motor homes, public campgrounds may have additional legal restrictions applicable to firearms.

The Penal Code does contain language providing exceptions to the prohibitions against the concealed carry of unloaded handguns for licensed hunters and fishermen as well as certain target range shooters while engaged in, or going to or from such activities. However, I recommend that you not rely upon this language. The continued legal validity of these exceptions may be questionable and even if ruled valid, it might be very difficult or impossible to prove in court that you fell within the exception.

The only departure I will make from this discussion of California law is to mention that if you meet certain requirements under Federal law, you may legally transport a firearm by motor vehicle during interstate travel despite state or local laws to the contrary. You may transport the firearm for any lawful purpose from a place where you may legally possess and carry it to any other place where you may legally possess and carry it. In addition, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition can be readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment the firearm or ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Most California arrests for carrying concealed handguns in motor vehicles have resulted only in the filing of misdemeanor charges. However you can be charged with a felony if your vehicle contains an unlawfully concealed handgun that is not listed in your name in the AFS (the California Automated Firearms System database record created when you purchase a handgun and go through the 10 day waiting period) and there is ammunition for that handgun either in your "immediate possession" or "readily accessible" to you.

*While legal in California, carrying an unloaded handgun in plain sight in the passenger compartment is not advised. If carried in plain sight, it might attract unfavorable attention and an encounter with the police. Also, an unloaded handgun in plain sight can easily slip beneath car seats or otherwise out of sight

here's the info directly from california's attorney general:

Traveling with Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 12285©(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

So I guess that leaves two questions.

1. Should I take the gun into a shop and have them register it to me. (If they do, exactly what happens besides the BG check and such. As in, do I get written down in a database as an owner, do I recieve papers or something?)

2. Do they sell locking cases for individual rifles? If so, how much are they/where do I get them.

It consumes 7.65X55 Argentine (AR or Beligum) rounds. It is still available. Norma Soft Point is $31 for 20 shots, the Serbian stuff is $9 for 20 (heard it is decent... supercheap though...). The guy is giving me a bunch of ammo with the gun though. Not sure if they are manufactured or made by someone... I won't fire it if it is made from someone else. Wouldn't want to risk my face.

yeah that's why I asked, I looked the gun up in my book and it uses an exotic cartridge instead of the usual 8mm Mauser. Good to hear someone is still making ammo for it. Norma does a lot of "orphaned" cartridge. Before the milsurp ammo crates hit our market, Norma is the only supplier for Mosin-Nagant rounds in Canada. Very expensive too, IIRC 55$ for 20. ouch.

Just wondering Aux or someone else. If I do take this gun in to get certified or whatever, what acctually happens? Do they put me in a database? Check serial #'s? Give me a fingerprinting? Etc.

Also, since I already have the gun and technically don't need to register it since it is an antique, will I have to relinquish it for the 11 days? I am going to a shop to ask tomorrow, just wondering what you all know.

sorry can't help you there since I don't know US gun laws.

If that Argentinian Mauser is the gun you are going hunting with, here's an idea : leave the cleaning rod in the car, the gun gets a better balance instantly, and it won't make sound from the rod rattling in the gun.

If that Argentinian Mauser is the gun you are going hunting with, here's an idea : leave the cleaning rod in the car, the gun gets a better balance instantly, and it won't make sound from the rod rattling in the gun.

Thanks for the tip! The bore was pitted and black as hell. Looked like a horrible chimney. The gun store sales man felt bad and gave me a bunch of bore gel and what not. Told me to clean it for about 3 days and see how it comes. Well we (my roomates and I) finished it in less than a day. Took the entire gun apart as well. I went back and he told me my Mauser was a crap load nicer then his now. The bore has no pits, shines, and has very strong rifling. I am really happy about the purchase. The stock is in excellent condition as well. I shall post pictures later.

On the ammo... "Privi" from Serbia sells it on aimsurplus.com for $9.50 they say it shoots as well as Winchester or Remington. I am only 19 though so I can't buy the ammo online. I am stuck buying $26.95 ammo. It isn't so bad though because the $27 ammo I can buy is 150gr so it shoots 2800fps which is nice, the 180gr shoots 2400fps. I am going to take it down to the 1000 yard range sometime this next week. Well... start on the 100-200 then see if it can make it past 500-1000. A guy at the store told me someone won last weeks 1000 yard shooting comp with an 1891 Argentine, so I am stoked.

lol i live in tifton ga... not far from where the original hogzilla was killed.. they were doing auditions in my town for the movie hogzilla.. sounds pretty scarey huh? anyway... this hog looks ALOT bigger than the pic of the one that was shot here.. lol "ONLY 8 shots" not to mention they stated in the article i read that the guide AND his dad were standing ready with high powered rifles incase the hog decided to charge them.. also had to have a freaking BACKHOE get the thing out of the woods... lol.. the only question i have is what would those 3 guys have done if they were in the woods WITHOUT guns.. bet they wouldnt have been so anxious to mess with this hog then.

a1.jpg

Thats my baby. Took her out to the range for the first time ever today. Below is my results for shots 5-9 on her at 100 yards, 1" grid spacing:

Untitled-1.jpg

I did "alright". I think I can do much better if I get my breathing and trigger action down. The two that are way off are due to me forgetting to two step the trigger. I pulled it in one swoop. Silly me.