HybridZ

Killing a wild boar

rudypoochris

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the AR-15 have the penetrating power to take something like that out from a decent range? Just wondering how much you really need. Or is it the shear quantity of bullets that will kill the animal. I know the 30-06 throws out 2800ish ftlbs at the barrel, 2600ftlbs for this Mauser i have, I think the AR-15 throws down something like 1200ftlbs or 1100. I wonder how much it acctually matters on something like this.

Guest TeamNissan

"An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog"

'"It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."'

" Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5"

" who just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy"

the .223 round is a piece of crap IMO....i own an AR-15, a MINI-30, a mousin-nangat, a marlin .22mag, a ruger 10/22, and another .22, i think its a mossberg....

the AR is the funnest to shoot, but its just such a small round. i would think quanity of bullets would take down a wild hog with an A5...and still, they look 100 times more bad ass than any other rifles...check out http://www.tapco.com for some upgrades :wink:

"An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog"

'"It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."'

" Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5"

" who just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy"

:lmao:

Guest TeamNissan
yeah, that doesnt look like a .50 cal pistol either....either way...i thank the lord every day i grew up in ATL with cars and girls instead of guns and deer.

Ya your right there are no guns in ATL :ugg: lol

Chris, pretty good for a first time out!

Remember, if you are using military surplus rounds, clean out the gun immediately after shooting. The old milsurp ammo is corrosive, and will form rust.

also, register on calguns.net, you'll get lots of inof

You'll find the trick with pigs is that they have so much fat layer and so many fat cells in their blood that they are hard to take down without an entry and exit wound, so they typically require multiple shots. That said, there is no excuse for a poorly placed shot. A well placed shot will down a pig like that in an few seconds if not instantly. My almost 300 lb pig took 9 rounds from the .41 Mag S&W 57 before going down. I blew his lower jaw off, had 3 rounds in the shoulder, one up the rear as he was running away that lodged in the chest, one in the head, one in the neck, and took out one front leg and one back leg.

I sneaked up on him and I shot him laying down in the shade of a tree first. Didn't see a log in front of him and the first bullet went through a small log or root that was exposed, and broke the left front leg. I tracked him into tall grass and he charged me from about 15 feet. I stepped aside and shot him in the face, blowing his lower jaw off. He continued on and I shot him in the arse, flipping him. I shot him 3 times in the shoulder while down and floundering around. I reloaded and he got on his feet and charged again although at a slow pace. I shot him once in the head at about 3 feet, which snap rolled him but he rolled past me. He got up again and continued on away, I shot him in the right rear hind leg breaking that one. I then put another in the neck as he lay unable to get on his feet.

Now I didn't miss, but I didn't hit that well either. It's a whole different story when they are running at you in close quarters I can tell you that!

I've seen a polar bear take 14 rounds in the neck and shoulder and head from a .375 H&H and not go down! I have that on video!

Yeah, I know. I had a .378 Weatherby that I re-did into a .30-.378. The recoil was brutal unless you shot it offhand. The power of the round was amazing too. Now the rifle weighs 29 pounds and sports a 30 inch hart barrel with a custom muzzle brake.

29!?!?!?!?!?!?? What the hell! How many ftlbs does that rifle have at the muzzle?

My Mauser is only 8.8lbs with a 30" barrel. It doesn't kick hard either which makes me happy. 30-30 hits much harder since it is light.

5040 ft lb of energy at the muzzle with the 180 grain. It's pushing a 180 grain bullet at 3550 fps.

The buttstock is filled with 12 lb of #8 birdshot. The barrel has 1.25 dia at the muzzle, so it needed that for balance.