HybridZ

Automotive myths for "Mythbusters" show on Discovery Channel...

80LS1T

I was just replying to a post in the paint forum and I was saying how the "exploding booth" myth with the box fans seems a bit sketchy to me. What other myths have you guys heard? I want to get a good list together and send it in, who knows maybe they can do a whole show on automotive myths?!

Here's another one "does a battery really discharge faster when its on concrete rather than on pallet on the floor?"

Lets get like a list of 10 really good ones and I'll send it in!

Guy

They've got a forum on the Mythbuster website that already dealt with the concrete battery drain myth. (it IS a myth by the way, there is no science to explain that)

haha! I knew it! I already told my dad he's nuts when he says this, but he refuses to believe it's a farce.

Guest TeamNissan

How about weather to put the a/c on or the heat on when your car is overheating lol. A/c runs another fan but trouble the engine to run more stuff and the heater core acts like another smaller radiator. I'm curious to know 100% which works or which works best.

Also a more in depth atempt as running a car on hydrogen, I mean they did it but then they quit. I would like to see them work out a rig and give it a full test.

Getting a car to run on everclear would be nifty.

You know they didnt give the black powder engine a worth go either, when they tried to use a reg engine and convert it, they used a 2 stroke then bitched that the oil was wetting the gun poweder. I bet they or someone could get a rotory to run on black powder.

Alright I dont want to ramble on lol.

Yeah I knew it too but I was just using it as an example. People at my work still think its true even though I keep telling them its a myth(I'm a Nissan autotech).

What about that myth with the sawdust in the tranny(or was it the diff?), I can't remember what the myth was...something about making it quite?

Guy

Guest TeamNissan

I read that the concrete floor bat drain myth came from the old old old school wood bats getting drained when left on the floor and it just carried on.

You right though on modern bats it hold NO scientific reasoning what so ever, my father also believe we never went to the moon, go figure.

Guest TeamNissan

Its saw dust in like any gear box as far as I have heard, I would like to hear that one too because it almost makes sense to me lol idk why.

Guest TeamNissan

They had a bunch actualy... there was the exploding gas tank then it revisited, a show on alternative fuels, a show on just engine stuff like the egg and suger in the gas tank, the drive shaft ep the windows up or down one i think there are some more but you get the idea.

What about that myth with the sawdust in the tranny(or was it the diff?), I can't remember what the myth was...something about making it quite?

Man, that's an old one... In The Grapes of Wrath, the son (Jeb? can't quite remember his name) checks for sawdust in place of gear oil in the diffs of all the used cars they check out before they leave for California.

Man, that's an old one... In The Grapes of Wrath, the son (Jeb? can't quite remember his name) checks for sawdust in place of gear oil in the diffs of all the used cars they check out before they leave for California.

Yeah. That is where I read it. Guess it would thicken the oil and cushion the backlash noise. Sort of like a 100 wt oil.

I would like to see the one about the battery on concrete. I always thought the temperature and moisture would make them age quicker.

All I know for sure is a battery not hooked up to a car that is not run from time to time doesn't live long at all.

Plastic is non-conductive, that's why it's used in the casing. Moisture that is not connecting the two poles of the battery and completing the circuit should have 0 effect on battery life. I could see temperature affecting the chemistry inside the battery (and it does actually, that's why batteries have a rating in CCA-cold cranking amps as well as CA-cranking amps), but that's about it. Concrete may affect a battery's life adversley over a long period of time due to it's temperature, but it's not anywhere NEAR the battery killer the old timers would have you believe. I've worked in parts for 7 years now, and I've been around a LOT of batteries, both new and old, on shelves, pallets, and concrete floors. New batteries went bad on the shelf over several months regardless of whether they were on the floor or not.

How about weather to put the a/c on or the heat on when your car is overheating lol. A/c runs another fan but trouble the engine to run more stuff and the heater core acts like another smaller radiator. I'm curious to know 100% which works or which works best.

when the car is overheating it is best to turn on the heater because it sucks the heat out of the engine compartment and blows it into the car....i have had to do this a few times with my dads old s10..

Yeah. That is where I read it. Guess it would thicken the oil and cushion the backlash noise. Sort of like a 100 wt oil.

Ah, there's always the Any Griffith show where Barney Fife buys a car from a con-woman and there's sawdust in the tranny...or was it the oilpan? I cannae remember. Way too long ago...

Davy