HybridZ

New (to me) wheels

pparaska

On my way TO the office "Holiday" party in Dec 2006, I swerved for an idiot in the oncoming lane, hit the loose stuff on the shoulder and took a ride into the trees and up the beginning of the guard rail. Don't worry - I was not in the Z, just the only car I ever bought new - a 92 Eclipse GSX. No biggie - it had suspension "issues", a leaking exhaust, tires that needed to be replaced, peeling clearcoat. Ugliest car in the work parking lot! But still gave many a big surprise if they tried to drag or out corner me!!

I just picked up it's replacement. It's my first "rare" car, and my new daily driver (got to get the A/C working though!!!)

What came from the factory with the following?

4 doors

4 cylinders

4 wheel steering

4-wheel disk brakes with anti-lock feature (two-channel)

4 wheel independent suspension

4 CV shafts

4 color-keyed cast aluminum alloy wheels (8-spoke)

4 figure used car price (before the decimal point)

16 valves

5 forward, driver selectable gears

1 turbo

a factory dash plate with a 4 digit number a "/" and another 4 digit number

was built for homologation for rally racing

...and looks like your grandmother's grocery-getter?

It's not the E36 M3, WRX STI, or EVO that I want, but that will have to wait until I don't have to give away half of what I own, if you know what I mean...

Seemed pretty lame on power for what it is supposed to be (compared to my Eclipse GSX with a boost controller) when I drove it home tonight - it just had the head rebuilt and new timing belt, etc installed. I hope it got done right! I'm hoping the boost controller will bring the performance level up.

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4?

Give that man a Cigarrrrrrr!!!

1991 Galant VR-4 number 1475 of 2000 Belize Green Metallic

Ugh - the body color wheels are hideous and skinny! Need to rectify that as soon as some $$$ appear.

I don't smoke lol.

Ugh - the body color wheels are hideous and skinny! Need to rectify that as soon as some $$$ appear.

Post some pictures of it. Before I bought my Z I looked into buying a VR-4 as it's quite a cool car, but it was just too rare.

My GySgt has one here in Fuji. I like the way it looks....

I'll post some later, it's filthy.

I got it with a busted balance belt that fell into the timing belt and bent the intake valves. It ended up needing exhaust, front rotors, a few other things and an A/C compressor (still need to fix that). It has 149,000 miles on it. I got it in that condition for $3K, and put $1485 plus a trade of my Eclipse GSX (with a good engine!!!) to have it put on the road. I may be getting the guy to swap the engines if this one turns out to be as lame as it seems after going over it, boost controller, etc.

In my opinion, this is not an exciting car to look at. But if I can bring the cornering and power to where my slightly modded Eclipse GSX was, I'll be satisfied. It need the power issue worked out, A/C fixed, and some wheels and tires. Paint is not bad, nor is the interior.

Joe (rags), yes, that ugly beast that I was behind the wheel of (notice I didn't say "drove") around Watkins Glen (because the Z couldn't make the trip) is now in the hands of the mechanic that put the Galant on the road.

Mike - I hope it's sooner than later!

I just got back from the DMV. The guy I bought it from never titled it, so I'm having problems- I can't get tags/registration. Ugh. He says he can get it worked out - I wonder. These people that buy a car, never title, register or insure it sure do make it tough for the people that are stupid enough to buy it from them!

Pete, good luck with the VR-4, I used to have a 91' that was also green, bought it brand new in 1990. When new it was in my opinion nicer than the GSX and about the same power (bone stock). Your "new" VR-4 sounds pretty rough but I know a kid here in San Diego who races one and that thing is very impresive for a 4-door.

Dragonfly

Yeah, I didn't know about the Galant VR-4 until after I had bought my Eclipse GSX new in late 91. Looking back even then I thought I would have rather had the VR-4. It was really quite a car for it's time and the money. Heck, it's still pretty cool.

It looks like the title/registration thing will work out in the next few days. The previous owner is working with someone to get things straight. I imagine I will have tags by Saturday.

The body is very straight except for a few small dents on the hood, which I plan on getting taken care of. It needs a buff job. The interior is pretty good, needs some mats, cleaning, etc. I ordered a Lotek 2 gage A-pillar pod and will get a boost and oil pressure gage (none in the dash - just an idiot light!!!).

I will be putting my manual boost controller on it (a spring-ball type) from the Eclipse GSX this weekend. I am really hoping this will fix it or we will find the timing belt off by a tooth or something. The mechanic (who has done MANY of these engines) said the cylinders looked great, and he went through the head carefully. He said that the turbo had very little axle play also. Crossing my fingers that it's just a boost controller issue.

The rest of the car seems tight. I'm looking forward to getting used to it, once the power shows up!