HybridZ

header wrap w/ block huggers in JTR position

I am sure some of you have tried wrapping block huggers with a JTR set back position. The thing that I ma debating is weather or not you can actuall fit the wrap on? The header- steering shaft clearance is very tight, and it seemes that if they touched one another, it would tear the wrap up.

Also.... is there a way to tell weather or not headers are ceramic coated? I ordered a pair of coated summit brand block huggers for angled plug heads. My under hood temps are very high, and a part of me thinks that I got F***ed by Summit and they sent me a non-cearamic coated product.

ceramic coated looks like aluminum...it will be a tight fit with the huggers wraped. depending on wraping skills, ive seen nice tight wraps to ugly loose wraps...the wrap is not going to tear up and you dont need to wrap in between, just wrap all the bottom runners together...

Forces, if they look like they are ceramic coated, they probably are. I don't think Summit intentionally screws people by sending them silver painted headers. Has their customer service slipped that much? ;)

Anyway, about the header wrap. dmanzo57 on this site has his block huggers wrapped. I can't find a picture at the moment, but he wrapped the majority of the headers as I recall. I'm sure allowances have to be made when you get to the parts that are very close together. Maybe Don has a pic or two. I'll look. You can also email or PM him--just search for his member name.

PICT0262.sized.jpg

Pic is courtesy of Auxilary's website.

Davy

if you wrap ceramic coated headers, the wrap will almost melt itself onto the header and cause the wrap to stick to the headers but i guess thats what they are suppose to do anyways....i had some wrap on my old honda dc headers and it seems like it kinda melted onto the coat...i think it might have tiny micro fiberglass strands in it..im sure it does the same for others too but i could be wrong.

by the way, what engine is that in the pic above, i thought it was an lt1 but its not..looks like a mix and match motor with older sbc valve covers with wierd looking lt1 manifold. it looks like it has an lt1 elbow and throttle body but the water pump looks like an older gen...

it looks alot like the TPI engine but i'm not 100% it's either that or an early gen conversion... it reaaaaaaaaaaaally looks like an upgraded TPI though.. not chevy's best factory endevour IMO.

TPI engines had the center bolt valve covers.

tpi_install.JPG

It's no TPI. I believe Don's car has a Miniram, but I'm not exactly sure. However, I am sure that 1) it's aftermarket and in no way stock and 2) it's programmable FI that brought him into the very very low 11's in the 1/4 mi with the 383 Gen 1 motor you see there. Simple JTR + aftermarket efi = very effective. It's the smoothest and fastest Z's I have driven to date. No bugs in that one--he's used it as a daily driver for years although now, with gas at over $3.50/gal, I'm not sure anymore.

Davy

is it just a myth that headers deteriorate faster with wrap because of the temps reached?

No myth. Header wraps will kill your headers much sooner than without it. It keeps extreme heat inside and will eat away material over time. A friend of mine wrapped his exhaust manifold and about 2 years later, took the manifold off, dropped it and it broke in a couple pieces. Also kills cast iron!! Ceramic coating is the way to go, as you get a layer inside and outside of the metal.

I'd like to get back to what ChemicalBlue was saying about the color differences. All of the ceramic coated headers I have ever seen for sale through a commercial copmany (i.e. Hooker, headman, sanderson, etc) have been silver coated, however My buddy got his headers coated is some run-down shack that were done in flat black. Is there really a difference in heat containment with different collors of coating? It doesn't seem to me that color alone would make a difference, as engine heat is not a product of a light source.

Anyhow, thanks for the pics and info, very helpful.

...All of the ceramic coated headers I have ever seen for sale through a commercial company (i.e. Hooker, headman, sanderson, etc) have been silver coated, however My buddy got his headers coated is some run-down shack that were done in flat black...

Hmmm, the general marketing of "ceramic coated" headers is for a bright finish. I would think flat black would be suspect. Are your headers flat black like your buddy's? Summit sent you them and they should describe them. If you have flat black ones, I'd call them up and discuss your order. I think their customer service is great, just don't start yelling and they should be receptive.

Davy